MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I get that many Bellator people are excited about prospects like Danis but he's never going to fight someone halfway decent. The dude has fought guys with a combined record of 2-4

He's had 2 pro fights himself. Give him time. People expect him to be fighting someone noteworthy already?

On 2019-12-23 at 8:35 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Rory's falloff is upsetting as well. From Welterweight UFC Beast to PFL contender.

I wouldn't say he fell off. He was just Bellator champ and fought some killers. I think he's just entering the WW tourney for a million bucks. He should be the favorite there and only needs to win 4 fights. 250,000 grand a fight is what former champs make in the UFC 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I wouldn't say he fell off. He was just Bellator champ and fought some killers. I think he's just entering the WW tourney for a million bucks. He should be the favorite there and only needs to win 4 fights. 250,000 grand a fight is what former champs make in the UFC 

Idk, I think the fight with Robbie screwed him up.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Idk, I think the fight with Robbie screwed him up.

ya that is not what i have been seeing in some of his fights in bellator. He looked great against Daley and won another war against Lima before jumping up to fight Gegard(big mistake). His fight with Fitch wasnt great and then lost a decision to lima. That is a pretty killer lineup and he has done very well and still looked very good in most. I still think he is a top 5 ww in the world and could beat anyone in any org in on any given day. PFL has just changed things up in that a guy like him can go in and be a big favorite to win a mil. Not a bad business decision imo.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

ya that is not what i have been seeing in some of his fights in bellator. He looked great against Daley and won another war against Lima before jumping up to fight Gegard(big mistake). His fight with Fitch wasnt great and then lost a decision to lima. That is a pretty killer lineup and he has done very well and still looked very good in most. I still think he is a top 5 ww in the world and could beat anyone in any org in on any given day. PFL has just changed things up in that a guy like him can go in and be a big favorite to win a mil. Not a bad business decision imo.

Exactly, I believe Rory will be back in UFC again after this with a chance to claim WW champ in 3 different organizations 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What screwed Rory was his coach making him fight passive and technical. I loved him coming up when he was aggressive. Once he became GSP lite, I lost interest in his fights. 

Many great fighters get screwed by bad coaches. Like the clown that told Ronda she was a striker or the guy that told Demian Maia he was a striker but at least he smartened up.

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What screwed Rory was his coach making him fight passive and technical. I loved him coming up when he was aggressive. Once he became GSP lite, I lost interest in his fights. 

after hearing rory talk after his last couple fights you think it is firas who made him passive? 

after like his last 3 fights he has said stuff like "I don't know if I still have it in me", "I don't like hurting people", etc.

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

after hearing rory talk after his last couple fights you think it is firas who made him passive? 

after like his last 3 fights he has said stuff like "I don't know if I still have it in me", "I don't like hurting people", etc.

Then explain to me why he was a friggin' killer until he got onto the title scene? Firas made him GSP lite and that's practically undeniable.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Then explain to me why he was a friggin' killer until he got onto the title scene? Firas made him GSP lite and that's practically undeniable.

Lawler took his soul, same as he did to Condit.

I wouldn't put it on Firas. He talks about how he wants fighters to fight how they are comfortable, rather than push them to fight a specific way.

And honestly you see it a lot with fighters who either won a title or got a title shot, then lost. It's not uncommon for guys to lose a bit of their fire, or change up their fighting style after their original way of fighting wasn't good enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Why is it that Charles Olivera has fought 6 times since 2018 and none of them are any good? He’s a ranked guy that hasnt had a ranked opponent in 6 fights. I know he lost to Felder before those 6 but give him someone. He’s active and dangerous 

Well he had that stretch where in four fights, three of them he got finished (Pettis/Lamas/Felder). And in each one he looked ok early but feel apart after the 1st. Missed weight two times as well.

That was kinda his chance to break into title contention, and he failed it, so he had to work his way back up again. I do think he should be in line for a big fight in his next one though. Say what you want about his gas tank and weight cuts, his fights end in a finish either way, he's never boring. Would have loved to see him against Hooker tbh, if Dan hadn't been matched up with Felder.