MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

22 hours ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Jon fights like a killer when he has beef with a person (DC, Gus 2) so yeah its exciting. 

Reyes presents an interesting challenge for Jon, just based on pure athletic ability, but a motivated Bones is a scary individual

Yea there wasn't much bad blood with Santos and Smith and those were poor performances by Jones

I'm three weeks behind lmao but I managed to stay spoiler free for UFC 245. Just watched it. Was disappointing untl Usman vs Covington. What a frickin fight... fight of the year candidate. I don't like Colby at all but I gained a ton of respect for him in that fight. A lot of heart and dude can fight. Also, I thought the stoppage was justified. Even if it wasn't, I had Usman winning Rounds 2, 3, and 5. Round 4 was SUPER close but I gave it to Colby. What a frickin Round that was!

Usman is pretty dang good. He reminds me of GSP. Almost a carbon copy.

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I'm three weeks behind lmao but I managed to stay spoiler free for UFC 245. Just watched it. Was disappointing untl Usman vs Covington. What a frickin fight... fight of the year candidate. I don't like Colby at all but I gained a ton of respect for him in that fight. A lot of heart and dude can fight. Also, I thought the stoppage was justified. Even if it wasn't, I had Usman winning Rounds 2, 3, and 5. Round 4 was SUPER close but I gave it to Colby. What a frickin Round that was!

Usman is pretty dang good. He reminds me of GSP. Almost a carbon copy.

Agreed 100% If that fight doesn't ruin his career, he'll be back in contention soon enough

UFC would make a boatload of money if everyone played a babyface, tweener, or heel persona. The fights wouldn’t be fixed which is the most important thing. 

Colby is dang good at playing a heel. I can’t stand that guy lol. I respect the character he plays though. 

As for Conor, he’s never been a heel. He’s a tweener that leans more heel than babyface. He’s absolutely hilarious and amazing confidence that isn’t douchey. He’s like Stone Cold. Stone Cold always was a tweener not a pure babyface. Although he definitely leaned more face unlike Conor. 

And make no mistake, these are DEFINITELY characters these guys play to increase their income x10. Which they are dang good at. They are normal people in real life. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

Man, I re watched a few fights today. Really makes me scared for 249 being in NYC. Tony is a bleeder and I don't need to see another doctor stoppage at Barclays Center in April. I think they need to have Gaethje vs Conor as the co-main for that.

I also watch Nate vs Anthony Pettis and Tony vs Pettis.

Pettis has always seemed to beat up a lot of run-of-the-mill guys but always comes up short against the elite. Not saying he gets whooped by any means but always comes up short.

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

GSP wants Khabib if Khabib wins at a catchweight. This would likely be the biggest fight in UFC history.

What are thoughts? GSP was near impossible to take down and keep down, Khabib has youth, both one trick ponies in stand up with jabs. 

There's only 3 ways to beat him. Catch him on the 1 spot everyone gets KO'd on, be extremely creative off your back, or take Khabib down and attack him the same way with constant takedown attempts.

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

GSP wants Khabib if Khabib wins at a catchweight. This would likely be the biggest fight in UFC history.

What are thoughts? GSP was near impossible to take down and keep down, Khabib has youth, both one trick ponies in stand up with jabs. 

I think it should be at 170. That was Khabib's first weightclass anyway. And he walks around at 205.

I don't think Dana will ever have a planned catchweight for anyone. 

On 1/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Man, I re watched a few fights today. Really makes me scared for 249 being in NYC. Tony is a bleeder and I don't need to see another doctor stoppage at Barclays Center in April. I think they need to have Gaethje vs Conor as the co-main for that.

Almost zero chance that Conor is the co-main event at any UFC event. I know that he said he wants Gathje next but there's also almost zero chance that happens unless it's for an interim title because the winner of the Khabib/Tony fight has to miss extended time for whatever reason. Conor is either getting Masvidal or Khabib next but most likely the BMF belt in July for international fight week. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Almost zero chance that Conor is the co-main event at any UFC event. I know that he said he wants Gathje next but there's also almost zero chance that happens unless it's for an interim title because the winner of the Khabib/Tony fight has to miss extended time for whatever reason. Conor is either getting Masvidal or Khabib next but most likely the BMF belt in July for international fight week. 

Agreed,Conor would never take a Co-Main and its not the best business idea to do so either. Conor is a headliner, they just need him fighting for something 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agreed,Conor would never take a Co-Main and its not the best business idea to do so either. Conor is a headliner, they just need him fighting for something 

Yup. If he beats Cerrone there are only three realistic fights for him: 

- Masvidal for the BMF Belt

- Khabib/Tony for the LW Belt

- Gathje for the interim LW Belt

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yup. If he beats Cerrone there are only three realistic fights for him: 

- Masvidal for the BMF Belt

- Khabib/Tony for the LW Belt

- Gathje for the interim LW Belt

I still say if he jumps Gaethje for a shot at Khabib/Tony, the UFC is all but dead to me. This isn't WWE, and he should not get a 155 title shot for being Cerrone at 170 in his first fight back  over a guy who beat him at 155 while Conor was decking old men in a bar, ESPECIALLY after the way Khabib manhandled him. 

19 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I still say if he jumps Gaethje for a shot at Khabib/Tony, the UFC is all but dead to me. This isn't WWE, and he should not get a 155 title shot for being Cerrone at 170 in his first fight back  over a guy who beat him at 155 while Conor was decking old men in a bar, ESPECIALLY after the way Khabib manhandled him. 

The UFC is a business at the end of the day and a Conor vs Khabib/Tony fight will sell like crazy. What's so impressive about what Gathje has done in the UFC? He got starched by Poirier and Alvarez (both of whom got starched by Conor) and beat Barboza (1-4 his last 5), Vick (1-4 his last 5), and Cerrone (3-2 his last 5). 

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The UFC is a business at the end of the day and a Conor vs Khabib/Tony fight will sell like crazy. What's so impressive about what Gathje has done in the UFC? He got starched by Poirier and Alvarez (both of whom got starched by Conor) and beat Barboza (1-4 his last 5), Vick (1-4 his last 5), and Cerrone (3-2 his last 5). 

He has 3 first round KO's in his last fight, including the guy Conor is facing except he did it at 155. He was also beating Poirier until he got caught which shouldn't be counted against Gaethje but more of a credit to Dustin. He has 4 wins in the UFC (5 total) since Conor's last win (or even competitive fight) and his only two loses were both to former champions. Or give it to the guy who hasn't won in over 3 years after defeating someone Gaethje beat at 170. 

If you're going to argue that giving it to Conor is best for business, that's fine, but that's not how a non-fixed sport should work. Just don't sit here and try to analyze what Gaethje has done to make it seem like it's even debatable who deserves it more between the two.  

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

He has 3 first round KO's in his last fight, including the guy Conor is facing except he did it at 155. He was also beating Poirier until he got caught which shouldn't be counted against Gaethje but more of a credit to Dustin. He has 4 wins in the UFC (5 total) since Conor's last win (or even competitive fight) and his only two loses were both to former champions. Or give it to the guy who hasn't won in over 3 years after defeating someone Gaethje beat at 170. 

If you're going to argue that giving it to Conor is best for business, that's fine, but that's not how a non-fixed sport should work. Just don't sit here and try to analyze what Gaethje has done to make it seem like it's even debatable who deserves it more between the two.  

That's like saying you'd rather see Yan fight Cejudo than Aldo. Aldo deserves the shot and we would all like to see him beat Cejudo. I know Aldo got screwed against Moraes but still. It's a similar concept. Let Sterling and Yan duke it out for the next one. Aldo has put his time in and is still in his prime.