MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

I get that the UFC is a business but the fact that beating Cowboy at 170 and not fighting for 3 years prior still gets him a shot at Khabib just sucks. Like yea, I'll watch the pressers and all the hype and probably get sucked in to thinking it'll be different this time but the fact is it wasn't even close from start to finish. I think we all get it but you can't blame them for doing it. If we were calling the shots and would lose big money over booking less popular albeit more deserving fights it'd be different. Makes me wonder if guys might jump ship to other promotions though if it turns into a full blown popularity contest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I get that the UFC is a business but the fact that beating Cowboy at 170 and not fighting for 3 years prior still gets him a shot at Khabib just sucks. Like yea, I'll watch the pressers and all the hype and probably get sucked in to thinking it'll be different this time but the fact is it wasn't even close from start to finish. I think we all get it but you can't blame them for doing it. If we were calling the shots and would lose big money over booking less popular albeit more deserving fights it'd be different. Makes me wonder if guys might jump ship to other promotions though if it turns into a full blown popularity contest

I think he should have to fight one more guy before he gets another shot at Khabib but that's just me. I don't really care about the 170 thing that much anymore. If his next fight is Gaethje or a rematch with Poirier or anything like that, then sure as long as he wins.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I think he should have to fight one more guy before he gets another shot at Khabib but that's just me. I don't really care about the 170 thing that much anymore. If his next fight is Gaethje or a rematch with Poirier or anything like that, then sure as long as he wins.

It should be if Conor beats Cowboy, he faces Gaethje for #1 contender for Khabib's belt. 

The only issue is, that's a tough matchup for Conor. UFC is well aware that the Golden goose is dying in regards to Conor. He has 3 fights, 4 Max as a top tier money guy. 

He's gotta put some wins together or else Conors aura disappears. So UFC probably gives him the rematch if he wins this fight (which he should) if Conors focused. He puts Cowboy away within 2 rounds. 

16 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

That's like saying you'd rather see Yan fight Cejudo than Aldo. Aldo deserves the shot and we would all like to see him beat Cejudo. I know Aldo got screwed against Moraes but still. It's a similar concept. Let Sterling and Yan duke it out for the next one. Aldo has put his time in and is still in his prime. 

It's wrong to say the more active fighter with a better record in the last 3 years deserves a title shot over the flashy guy? This is a sport. It should go by the rankings. The Aldo comparison is pretty bad because that's more of a grey area. Aldo has been active and arguably won that last fight. Comparing him to a guy who got mauled in his last fight and has been out of the game for so long is a reach. I'm a huge GSP fanboy and I said the same thing we he came back for an immediate middleweight title shot.

What if the NFL had the right to say "yeah, the Patriots lost to the Dolphins week 16, but we'd still rather seem them get the bye for ratings"? Would that be ok? Why is it fine for MMA to completely bypass wins/losses in favor of what sells more PPVs? 

11 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

This is exactly how it should go. 

21 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't care about 170 either if he still has to fight another 155er before getting Khabib but thats not the case here. Like anyone who loses their belt and doesnt get an immediate rematch, if they win their next one especially convincingly vs another title challenger they deserve the shot...but Cerrone doesnt qualify. Has to be Gaethje, Poirier or the loser of Khabib/Ferguson

On 1/10/2020 at 7:20 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

So with all the GSP rumblings, how many of you think that if GSP comes to fight Conor or Khabib, we will see THE GSP or will he be a shell of his former self? 

GSP is one of the most professional fighters we've ever seen, and one of the most in touch with himself. I don't think we'd see him come back if he was going to be anything but his best, or close to it.

Doesn't mean he for sure beats Khabib or Conor, but he won't be like a BJ Penn, turning up when he's so far off his best.

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

GSP is one of the most professional fighters we've ever seen, and one of the most in touch with himself. I don't think we'd see him come back if he was going to be anything but his best, or close to it.

Doesn't mean he for sure beats Khabib or Conor, but he won't be like a BJ Penn, turning up when he's so far off his best.

Which is pretty much what I said in the sense that he will be a far cry from what he was but thats because he was 1 of if not the best WW of all-time. What he is now is still probably at least a title contender. 

I do love that GSP is very aware of when he has the goods or when he is losing it although it was pretty lame he came back to fight the weakest MW champ I can remember and then left right after