MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

I can’t believe it needs to be discussed that a 155 lb non Olympic level wrestler cant out wrestle or “have his way” with a 200+ lb Olympic level wrestler.

This is legitimately like saying McGregor could out box boxing a World class professional boxer.

McGregor is a very good boxer, for an MMA fighter, just like Khabib is a very good wrestler, for an MMA fighter. Neither could beat an Olympic level athlete in those sports.

21 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

I can’t believe it needs to be discussed that a 155 lb non Olympic level wrestler cant out wrestle or “have his way” with a 200+ lb Olympic level wrestler.

This is legitimately like saying McGregor could out box boxing a World class professional boxer.

McGregor is a very good boxer, for an MMA fighter, just like Khabib is a very good wrestler, for an MMA fighter. Neither could beat an Olympic level athlete in those sports.

Gregor Gillespie is an olympic level wrestler too.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Gregor Gillespie is an olympic level wrestler too.

What makes you say that? There’s been plenty of NCAA champs that didn’t fair well on the world stage, Gregor never competed on an international level.

Daniel Cormier was consistently a top 10 internationally ranked wrestler. His pedigree is much better than Gilesspie’s.

Edited by Pats#1

19 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

What makes you say that? There’s been plenty of NCAA champs that didn’t fair well on the world stage, Gregor never competed on an international level.

Daniel Cormier was consistently a top 10 internationally ranked wrestler. His pedigree is much better than Gilesspie’s.

Gillespie's only loss to keep him off the Olympic team was Jordan Burroughs, who is a gold medalist, when  he tried out. He didn't want to cut to 66 kg either. So he ended his wrestling career. Daniel Cormier was on the Olympic Team and never placed higher than 4th in 04 and 08 didn't compete due to kidney issues.

On 2020-01-21 at 9:46 PM, Pats#1 said:

Funny part is.. This convo was spawned from a comment I made saying "DC said Khabib took him down at will in training" which DC said in an interview. No clue how it got turned into Khabib being able to out wrestle DC ? Lol

Secondly the best wrestler I've ever seen in MMA (GSP) made a living of out wrestling Olympic/All American level wrestlers so not sure why it's being over emphasized 

4 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Agreed, Firas' fight IQ is off the charts. Johnny has all the talent, just needs someone to help mold him into the fighter he can be. 

For sure, he'll get some premium wrestling/grappling training and like you said. Firas fight IQ and preparation is off the charts