MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Not really, most people would acknowledge that Khabib was wrong to jump out of the cage and he escalated it. However Conor fans refuse to admit him and his team fueled the situation by:

-making it personal by attacking Khabib’s religion and family 

-attacking a bus and seriously injuring people

-having a corner man yell slurs at Khabib all fight and goad him into fight

-Conor not knowing what was going on running across the ring and throwing punches at a guy who wasn’t doing anything violent. 

Like there’s plenty of crap to go around, but one group wants to pretend their guy has his hands clean, 

Nothing is off limits when selling a fight. 3M PPV buys for a reason and 3rd most ordered combat sport event of all time behind Mac/May, Pac/May. Which is huge considering MMA is no where near as popular as boxing. It could be argued McGregor is the biggest draw in combat sports history. The only argument you can make is Mayweather and he has a way bigger sport/platform to use. Out of the Top 3 PPVs of all time, they are both part of two of them. 

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Nothing is off limits when selling a fight. 3M PPV buys for a reason and 3rd most ordered combat sport event of all time behind Mac/May, Pac/May. Which is huge considering MMA is no where near as popular as boxing. It could be argued McGregor is the biggest draw in combat sports history. The only argument you can make is Mayweather and he has a way bigger sport/platform to use. Out of the Top 3 PPVs of all time, they are both part of two of them. 

I guess that included assaulting people on a bus and injuring people. Nothing off limits. Cool Khabib was just promoting the rematch. 

• Like 2

The only reason people order Mayweather fights is because they hate him with a passion. Most people love McGregor outside of the internet. You go to a UFC event and they go crazy for the guy. The internet social users are 2% of the world and usually have a completely different opinion than the general public. They tend to hate things that are not hated in real life cause they are “cool” to hate. Apple is one example. 

Also, even if you guys were Mayweather, you would all market yourself as the most hated guy in the world for that much money. You think Mayweather cares about what the general public thinks versus millions? Easy choice. You would all market yourself to be hated if it meant that much money. I know I sure would. I care what my family and close friends think of me, outside of that this isn’t a popularity contest. Life is about family, close friends, and money

53 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

I believe hes 2 years behind everyone now. Khabib is either the greatest LW ever or connor is behind and a one trick pony. The blue print is there. i doubt he can fix his cardio and keep his power. Unless he can go back to FW, i think his best days are far behind him.

I don't buy the gasses because of power argument. Conor's punches are super technical, he doesn't wind up and swing like a madman, he generates a ton of power from technical and routine motions. Maybe there's something I don't understand about how this works, but I can't imagine how any of that means he needs to use more energy. He doesn't push a frantic pace, he doesn't swing for the fences, he doesn't engage is grueling clinch wars. The man is basically BJ Penn. He can (probably in case of McGregor, proven in case of Penn) go 25 mins in a standup fight where he controls the pace. When he's forced to defend in clinches, takedowns, or gets pushed by a gritty opponent who makes him fight a fight he doesn't want at a higher pace, his cardio is just not at that level. He basically has below average cardio for a fighter in his division.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Well Khabib made a lot of money, and stood up for his friends and family. Turns out what Khabib did by going into the stands is admirable.

As long as he’s ok making UFC execs mad by doing it live on PPV, NSAC taking 50% of his purse, being suspended for probably 6 months, and probably being stripped. 

Hey he set up that rematch well.. that he’ll probably never get with how bad he beat Conor. 

9 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I don't buy the gasses because of power argument. Conor's punches are super technical, he doesn't wind up and swing like a madman, he generates a ton of power from technical and routine motions. Maybe there's something I don't understand about how this works, but I can't imagine how any of that means he needs to use more energy. He doesn't push a frantic pace, he doesn't swing for the fences, he doesn't engage is grueling clinch wars. The man is basically BJ Penn. He can (probably in case of McGregor, proven in case of Penn) go 25 mins in a standup fight where he controls the pace. When he's forced to defend in clinches, takedowns, or gets pushed by a gritty opponent who makes him fight a fight he doesn't want at a higher pace, his cardio is just not at that level. He basically has below average cardio for a fighter in his division.

Well the question is if he adds cardio will he lose muscle doing so. Its why sprinters are thick and marathon runners are small. If he works on cardio it can do from a knock down punch to one that just hurts. Or a KO punch to a knock down. You can throw a perfectly technical punch and still not knock someone out if theu dont have the power behind it.

18 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Well Khabib made a lot of money, and stood up for his friends and family. Turns out what Khabib did by going into the stands is admirable.

I wouldnt say admirable. It would have been nice if he remembered what he said earlier in “who cares what drunk man says” and just ignored connors chirping dog. But its hard to see what he did as horrible when walking into the ring and shoving a fighter is treated as no big deal.

31 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Well the question is if he adds cardio will he lose muscle doing so. Its why sprinters are thick and marathon runners are small. If he works on cardio it can do from a knock down punch to one that just hurts. Or a KO punch to a knock down. You can throw a perfectly technical punch and still not knock someone out if theu dont have the power behind it.

I guess this is the debate, what generates KO power. I don't think this is settled, because there are guys like Randy Couture and Sean Sherk, the latter especially being muscular yet having pillows for hands but being known for insane cardio. I think if Conor fought like Jeremy Stevens, I could understand. But I think his cardio is just not a priority because he trains mostly on movement and techniques to land punches from all kinds of weird angles and all that stuff. He relies on that to win fights. Penn was the same way, his raw skill and physical ability basically allowed him to dominate most fighters. But when he met guys who matched him and he couldn't just out talent them, he got outworked the exact same way as McGregor.

Edited by Mossburg

Conor is never gonna have great cardio at 155 or 170. It’s just to much muscle mass for his frame. At 145 he had excellent cardio for 3 Rounds, check out the Holloway, Siver, among other fights. He was legit unstoppable at 145 and I think he should go back there. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Conor is never gonna have great cardio at 155 or 170. It’s just to much muscle mass for his frame. At 145 he had excellent cardio for 3 Rounds, check out the Holloway, Siver, among other fights. He was legit unstoppable at 145 and I think he should go back there. 

That's what I mentioned in my previous post. It's the same as Penn, he has the cardio to beat guys at his own pace. All of those fights had him fighting at his own pace, he didn't need to fight off a wrestler. He just danced and out landed his opponents. You need a different level or cardio to not gas out when someone is coming to kill you every second of the fight and not backing off. Like if he fought Max again and Max did to him what Nate did and he was still fresh in the 3rd and 4th, I'd say I agree with you. At this point I think we don't have enough info to be sure.

I'd also add that by eye test, Conor isn't anymore muscular than plenty of other fighters (like GSP) who are either known for stellar cardio or at least not having below average cardio.

15 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I guess this is the debate, what generates KO power. I don't think this is settled, because there are guys like Randy Couture and Sean Sherk, the latter especially being muscular yet having pillows for hands but being known for insane cardio. I think if Conor fought like Jeremy Stevens, I could understand. But I think his cardio is just not a priority because he trains mostly on movement and techniques to land punches from all kinds of weird angles and all that stuff. He relies on that to win fights. Penn was the same way, his raw skill and physical ability basically allowed him to dominate most fighters. But when he met guys who matched him and he couldn't just out talent them, he got outworked the exact same way as McGregor.

Theres a lot to unpack with connors cardio in general. It might just be how he throws hard all the time. That tires you out a lot more. Same with a lot of foot movement. With this khabib fight its mostly his ground game is garbage so he has to use a lot of energy compared to khabib. To use a huge amount of energy to get a slightly better position just to get it taken away again.

Just now, eagles101 said:

Theres a lot to unpack with connors cardio in general. It might just be how he throws hard all the time. That tires you out a lot more. Same with a lot of foot movement. With this khabib fight its mostly his ground game is garbage so he has to use a lot of energy compared to khabib. To use a huge amount of energy to get a slightly better position just to get it taken away again.

Does he throw hard all the time? He knocks people out moving backwards. He just seems to have a genetic gift of KO power, I dunno how much of that is muscle. Agreed on the latter part about using energy on the ground. That's what I mean about needed a different level of cardio. It's not the same as dancing and picking your shots on the feet. Surviving on your back especially when that takedown comes early in the round is a different animal.

• Like 1