All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

The reason i left out Hogan, Thesz, Bruno and Andre was because of the question that was posed was in terms of ring skills, mic skills, storylines, anything and everything. I looked at each category evenly. Wrestling contributions (Bruno, Hogan and Andre) to me dont carry more weight than ring skills or mic skills. I looked at each category evenly. The older guys besides Hogan an Flair had no mic skills. They werent asked to put on wrestling clinics inside the ring. Modern wrestling and the older generation of territories just cant be compared to one another. That is why my list is comprised of talents in the modern era of wrestling.

I could of put Hogan on my list but i left him out and put in Rocky as to me Rock had better in ring skills and without the massive ego that Hogan carried. 

9 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

The reason i left out Hogan, Thesz, Bruno and Andre was because of the question that was posed was in terms of ring skills, mic skills, storylines, anything and everything. I looked at each category evenly. Wrestling contributions (Bruno, Hogan and Andre) to me dont carry more weight than ring skills or mic skills. I looked at each category evenly. The older guys besides Hogan an Flair had no mic skills. They werent asked to put on wrestling clinics inside the ring. Modern wrestling and the older generation of territories just cant be compared to one another. That is why my list is comprised of talents in the modern era of wrestling.

I could of put Hogan on my list but i left him out and put in Rocky as to me Rock had better in ring skills and without the massive ego that Hogan carried. 

I think youre wrong on so much of that. Thesz was a ring technician, he created more moves, including near all suplexes there is today. Think you underestimate what these guys went through during their HOUR-2 hour long matches they held.

It was hard for me to leave off Argentina Rocca. If you think todays guys have ring skills. Rocca could jump off the top turnbuckle, would grab a guy by the ear WITH HIS TOES, roll and fling the guy across the ring. Hed also standing in front a guy, shoot his foot up, grab their ear, and slam their face into the mat. Insane ability. He was so popular at one point, they stuck him in a Superman Comic, and he beat up Superman.

You can say poor mic skills. But when they spoke, people tuned in to watch. The Golden Age was called that for a reason. People were glued to everything they did, be it a match or when speaking. Talking a country of 200 million, and 10% of the entire population was tuned in watching. When half that didnt own TVs. First "Main Event" episode drew 33 million thanks to Hogan Piper and Andre.  Since their era, the most tuned in was 9 million, 1 time. HBKs prime was 10 years after Hogan and Piper helped bring in 33 million viewers to a show. 1995 WWE had about a 2.2 rating avg with HBK at the top and WCW starting to kick their tail weekly.

155-1.jpg

Edit to say. Im not judging your picks. Theyre fine. Just the perception of these older guys that built the industry on the backs of their talent and skill alone.

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 7:19 AM, Ketchup said:

I’m going to need some context on this. That was legit one of the funniest wrestling promos I’ve ever seen. 

ric flair was head of a faction called Fortune w/ styles, beer money, christopher daniels & kazarian i think at the time. hulk hogan made jay lethal GM for a week and lethal made crazy matches involving them. then eric bischoff (sp) got mad and put him in a handicap match against beer money and he won. that started the fued between him and the group iirc. i think hogan was face at the time and gave lethal flair's HOF ring, which led to that encounter. that was the beginning of like a year long fued, which one of the best fueds of all time tbh. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 10:05 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

I think youre wrong on so much of that. Thesz was a ring technician, he created more moves, including near all suplexes there is today. Think you underestimate what these guys went through during their HOUR-2 hour long matches they held.

It was hard for me to leave off Argentina Rocca. If you think todays guys have ring skills. Rocca could jump off the top turnbuckle, would grab a guy by the ear WITH HIS TOES, roll and fling the guy across the ring. Hed also standing in front a guy, shoot his foot up, grab their ear, and slam their face into the mat. Insane ability. He was so popular at one point, they stuck him in a Superman Comic, and he beat up Superman.

You can say poor mic skills. But when they spoke, people tuned in to watch. The Golden Age was called that for a reason. People were glued to everything they did, be it a match or when speaking. Talking a country of 200 million, and 10% of the entire population was tuned in watching. When half that didnt own TVs. First "Main Event" episode drew 33 million thanks to Hogan Piper and Andre.  Since their era, the most tuned in was 9 million, 1 time. HBKs prime was 10 years after Hogan and Piper helped bring in 33 million viewers to a show. 1995 WWE had about a 2.2 rating avg with HBK at the top and WCW starting to kick their tail weekly.

155-1.jpg

Edit to say. Im not judging your picks. Theyre fine. Just the perception of these older guys that built the industry on the backs of their talent and skill alone.

I had to throw this a like, particularly since you edited in the last bit.

I think people take for granted that without Superstar Billy Graham, you probably don't have the same Hulk Hogan that everyone is familiar with (especially heel/nWo Hogan because he harked back A TON to SSBG - along with, let's be real, the real Hulk Hogan).  There's a good case to argue that Ric Flair might have eventually become the Ric Flair that we all know, but without Buddy Rogers and Jackie Fargo, there's a decent shot that Ric Flair isn't the Ric Flair so many are familiar with and love(d).  In that same vein, Lawler has a legitimate case for being ranked considerably higher than most people put him.  He was a total package (ring worker, promo, and booker) who was one of the first guys to really break pro wrestling into the mainstream.

And that ignores a number of guys (both American and not) who went to Japan, were incredibly over there, came back and were incredibly over here and who flat out influenced an entire segment of highly-influential guys in the industry: Bruiser Brody (basically defined "big man style"), Giant Baba, Don Leo Jonathan, Gorilla Monsoon (I'm a little hesitant to put him in there because you can see an obvious influence of DLJ in his ring work), etc.

• Like 1