Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Royal_VT

2018 Mock Draft - Trade back w/ Buffalo

Recommended Posts

Wanted to join the fun, here is something I quickly put together with my dream scenario of trading back with Buffalo.

*Trade - Denver trades the 5th overall pick to Buffalo for picks 12, 22, and 65.

1.12 - Tremaine Edmunds LB, Virginia Tech

1.22 - Josh Jackson CB, Iowa

2.40 - Sony Michel RB, UGA

3.65 - Tim Settle DT, Virginia Tech

3.71 - Michael Gallup WR, Colorado State

3.99 - Brandon Parker OT, NC A&T

4.106 - Shaquem Griffin LB, UCF

4.113 - Wyatt Teller OG, Virginia Tech

5.149 - Chris Herndon TE, Miami

5.160 - Greg Stroman CB, Virginia Tech

 

Not going to lie, I really wanted to see how many Hokies we could fit into one mock draft. Not sure Edmunds is there at 12, or if we would draft a 2nd CB after taking one in the first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love it. Not sure how realistic it is but I wouldn't complain with this draft. 

I do think a trade back with Buffalo is a real option for us. And truthfully, what I would prefer as compensation would be both their firsts this year and their first next year. Buffalo is likely to be a bubble playoff team, a 7-9 to 9-7 team in a weak AFC, meaning we could expect a late teens pick next year. Coupled with our likely top-12 pick, that would be good ammunition to move up into the top-6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'd love it. Not sure how realistic it is but I wouldn't complain with this draft. 

I do think a trade back with Buffalo is a real option for us. And truthfully, what I would prefer as compensation would be both their firsts this year and their first next year. Buffalo is likely to be a bubble playoff team, a 7-9 to 9-7 team in a weak AFC, meaning we could expect a late teens pick next year. Coupled with our likely top-12 pick, that would be good ammunition to move up into the top-6. 

That seems like a lot. A first this year (1.22) and a first next year (1.~13-18) to move up 7 spots from 1.12 to 1.5. 

I actually don't even know -- Is that within reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

That seems like a lot. A first this year (1.22) and a first next year (1.~13-18) to move up 7 spots from 1.12 to 1.5. 

I actually don't even know -- Is that within reason?

A first next year has the same value as a second this year. Future draft picks are discounted by one round when trading picks. But who knows, if Elway really wants to move down I could see him taking a little bit less than market value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

A first next year has the same value as a second this year. Future draft picks are discounted by one round when trading picks. But who knows, if Elway really wants to move down I could see him taking a little bit less than market value. 

Makes sense --- is 2 firsts+ a second the market value? 

I know the QB factor throws off the points system but it seems skewed:

1.12(1200pts), 1.22(780pts), 2.56(340pts)

for

1.5(1700pts)

Edited by bMiller031

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

That seems like a lot. A first this year (1.22) and a first next year (1.~13-18) to move up 7 spots from 1.12 to 1.5. 

I actually don't even know -- Is that within reason?

 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

A first next year has the same value as a second this year. Future draft picks are discounted by one round when trading picks. But who knows, if Elway really wants to move down I could see him taking a little bit less than market value. 

 

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Makes sense --- is 2 firsts+ a second the market value? 

I know the QB factor throws off the points system but it seems skewed:

1.12(1200pts), 1.22(780pts), 2.56(340pts)

for

1.5(1700pts)

Yeah, 1.12 and 1.22 and 2019 1st isn't happening unless all the teams have a brain fart and somehow let Darnold fall to 1.5.   In which case we should just thank our lucky stars and get him.

The problem is that teams 6-11 could easily take much less and BUF could still get a QB.... it's going to have be someone they are so much in love with, way more over everyone else.  I think Allen & Rosen are neck and neck in BUF's eyes, but only because they assume Darnold's off the board.

If BUF wanted a guy that badly, they could offer 1.12, 1.22 and 2019 1st with NYG and move up to 1.2.    And get a more certain commodity at QB. 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Broncofan said:

 

 

Yeah, 1.12 and 1.22 and 2019 1st isn't happening unless all the teams have a brain fart and somehow let Darnold fall to 1.5.   In which case we should just thank our lucky stars and get him.

We might have to add in a later round pick say 3rd or 4th rounder to make it happen but I could definitely see Buffalo giving up 3 firsts to do it.

 

Hopefully if they do, they take Allen or someone, make them sit for a year and let Petermann turn it over until we have 2 top 10 picks next year haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

We might have to add in a later round pick say 3rd or 4th rounder to make it happen but I could definitely see Buffalo giving up 3 firsts to do it.

 

Hopefully if they do, they take Allen or someone, make them sit for a year and let Petermann turn it over until we have 2 top 10 picks next year haha

The issue is what will a team behind us take?  And what would NYG take?   NYG could easily take BUF's offer above, and BUF could get Darnold (if CLE takes Allen 1.1).     Or on the flip side, if IND is willing to take 1.12 and 1.22 alone.....BUF could just say "we'll wait for your pick, go ahead".   

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The issue is what will a team behind us take?  And what would NYG take?   NYG could easily take BUF's offer above, and BUF could get Darnold (if CLE takes Allen 1.1).     Or on the flip side, if IND is willing to take 1.12 and 1.22 alone.....BUF could just say "we'll wait for your pick, go ahead".   

In a vacuum sure, but I read somewhere on this site, I'll try and find it, that NYG knows who they are taking and that it's a HOF level talent.  Gotta be Chubb Barkley or Nelson IMO cause they can't know what QB will be there.  Also Gettleman doesnt trade down.  That said if BUF wants to assure themselves a QB they trade up as soon as they can, maybe its Cleveland but if 2 of the QBs are there when we pick, can they risk Denver taking one and then getting leapfrogged by ARI or someone?  

 

I know exactly where youre coming from I just see NFL GMs do things that logically make no sense to get there guy year after year and I think Buffalo is going to be that team this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tremaine at 12 would be a major get.  Not sure we would wait 5 picks before taking an OL but otherwise solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Epic said:

Tremaine at 12 would be a major get.  Not sure we would wait 5 picks before taking an OL but otherwise solid. 

Couldn't agree more. At 22 there's still some great talent on the OL and we definitely need more talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×