Patriots Pre-season Week 1 - Jaguars GDT

Deadpulse

Image result for jaguars patriots preseason

My god Patriots football is almost here! What are you guys looking to see in this game? Some interesting tidbits heading in:

- Reports out of camp is that Jimmy G has been Jimmy Garbage so far, especially in scrimmages. As game 1 rolls in, we are likely to see MAYBE one series from Tom Terrific, so we should have a hefty dose of Jimmy G in the game. Can he bounce back from a slow start to training camp? Can he improve his game from that promising window of action last season?

- How much do the receivers play? We have a big addition with Brandon Cooks, do they give him work after Brady exits to get him more acclimated with the playbook? Will Malcolm Mitchell suit up after being a limited participant thus far in camp? Are we going to see a young guy force his way into the conversation in an already crowded WR corp?

- How are all these CB's going to be used? The Jaguars have an intriguing WR corp themselves with a lot of matchup capabilities. How will they handle Allen Robinson? Will Rowe get some first team work as the big corner? How much do Gilmore and Butler play at the same time?

- The defensive line. Obviously Nink's retirement throws a wrench in the gears but the Patriots did bring in Wise via draft (having a strong camp) and Ealy via trade (having a rough, possibly doghoused camp). Will the rook outshine the vet? Can Flowers flash some of that potential we all hope he will realize?

The young guns I'll be looking for:

- Cyrus Jones --> will the guy live up to his draft slot? Adding Gilmore doesnt seem like a coaches endorsement 

- Derek Rivers and Deadrick Wise --> We really need one to step up with Nink stepping down

- Jacob Hollister --> probably my big binky this summer. The dudes tape is fun to watch

There isnt a ton of talk about him thus far. Most I heard, he has been "fine" in camp. Wise has some hype behind him though. I think Rivers has too much of a curve to really contribute much this season. He is coming from a small school where the pace of the game is radically different. He is a next year's training camp stand out IMO

Pre-season always brings mixed feelings. Firstly there's "Yeah, football is back!", then comes "God, I hope no one gets hurt!". Every tackle, every dogpile, I end up watching like a hawk waiting for an injury. Very tense.

Just get Brady, Gronk and Edelman their snaps and then get them on the sidelines wrapped in bubble wrap.

Looking forward to seeing the new RBs get some work though.

• Jimmy G looked better yesterday. Word is Jacoby looks atrocious.
  • Probably see a healthy dose of Bolden and Burkhead with the other RBs being a little banged up or too valuable.
  • Hope Valentine is alright with his back injury and hoping the Pats keep it ultra vanilla to work on the basics.
  • Rives seems to have been non existent but they are asking him to play a LB that drops back into coverage sometimes so he could be really adjusting to the playbook.
  • Cyrus Jones hasn't looked good at all. Butler/Gilmore with Rowe in the slow and Jones as the #4. I think Jones has a chance to be awesome this year.
  • Also looking forward to see how flowers does. Heard he got stood up by the Oline multiple times.

3 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Looking forward to seeing the new RBs get some work though.

I should add that up top, can't believe I didnt think of it :$

I bet they all get a decent amount of work, with maybe White and Lewis seeing the least

52 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Absolutely pumped for that. I feel like the media is sleeping on Burkhead a little bit with all that Gillislee is being talked up.

I feel like most people are sleeping on Burkhead. I have this funny feeling that he will emerge as THE guy this year. We shall see though

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I feel like most people are sleeping on Burkhead. I have this funny feeling that he will emerge as THE guy this year. We shall see though

I don't quite share your optimism regarding Burkhead, think he's more of that jack-of-all trades, king of none player.  I think he'll get plenty of reps, but I don't think he's going to be the feature back you think he will be.

17 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

Absolutely pumped for that. I feel like the media is sleeping on Burkhead a little bit with all that Gillislee is being talked up.

I think of Burkhead as the next Faulk but with more talent. Don't be surprised if with a few clutch catches we see him start to cut into playing time. Hopefully he's better than just a good special teamer.

2 hours ago, iothar said:

I think of Burkhead as the next Faulk but with more talent.

I havent been able to stop drawing this line either, but for the life of me I am not sure why I am drawing it. Burkhead's skill set doesnt really mirror Kevin, nor do their styles or even build and body type. 

More guys to watch tonight, ala Mike Reiss:

DT Adam Butler: An undrafted free agent from Vanderbilt, he has been disruptive as an interior pass-rusher at times. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound Butler arrived at Vanderbilt as an offensive line prospect, but coach James Franklin switched him to the defensive line after his 2012 freshman year. Smart move. Butler has a real shot to earn a roster spot if he keeps showing up like he has through the first 12 practices of camp.

LB Harvey Langi: The Patriots have been using him on the edge at times, and Langi caught my eye in one-on-one drills on Tuesday because of the multiple ways in which he won. His power was evident as he took advantage of what appeared to be a technique miscue by Jaguars right tackle Jeremiah Poutasi(2015 third-round pick) and knocked Poutasi on his backside. Then I saw Langi win with both a speed rush and spin move. The 6-foot-2, 252-pound Langi received $115,000 in guaranteed money, the highest total in the NFL this year for an undrafted player. He's making a charge.

WR Devin Lucien: The Patriots' 2016 seventh-round pick from Arizona State has shown reliable hands in competitive-catch situations down the field and has emerged as one of the surprise stories of camp. His most recent big play was a long gain down the left side on Tuesday on a nice deep ball from quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. Called "Luce" by quarterback Tom Brady, he is part of a deep receiving corps that has been banged up a bit, which has created more opportunity for him. However, Lucien worked on the rehab field on Wednesday, which might indicate he's now also banged up.

Archived