Patriots Pre-season Week 1 - Jaguars GDT

Deadpulse

17 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Couldn't watch the game as I had to work early - it started at 00.30 Friday morning here - but from the stats and highlights it looked like they were playing it very, very safe. No starters on either side. Some of the back-up WRs looked decent. The DL looked porous, but back-ups vs. starters makes it hard to judge.

No injuries makes a pre-season game a win no matter what else.

It looked a lot like, well, like a pre season week 1 game. I'm not at all bothered by the porosity just yet. 

25 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Porosity, good word @Hunter2_1

Yea this game was not very telling, it was 100% whose going to win jobs at the tail end of the roster. We can comment on Jimmy G and Jacoby and their development or how the DE position will pan out, but other than that not much. 

Yup.

Speaking of DE, we're still none the wiser (no pun intended). I think that position, specifically, is going to need all pre season games and then some.

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Speaking of DE, we're still none the wiser (no pun intended). I think that position, specifically, is going to need all pre season games and then some.

I am extremely worried about the DE/Edge position. I was worried about it before Nink retired and this game did nothing to assuage me. All I have been hearing is that Kony is going to be terrible based on his camp work. REALLY wish we could have seen more of him in the game. Wise and Rivers didn't inspire any kind of hope and the concussion does not help. Also, I do not rest easy on Flowers. He had a great end to the season and a very good postseason but that is still a small sample size with guys like Sheard and Long still in the mix. I am in no way convinced he can be "the guy" when it comes to producing consistent pressure and likely the only guy on that line getting double teams. 

The only saving grace is that I think with David Harris in the mix, Hightower will play in more of a edge role more often and have more creative blitzes. We know he is adept at that A-gap blitz, time to expand the repertoire. 

On 8/10/2017 at 9:41 PM, Deadpulse said:

My boy balled!

1twsux.gif

He's great, isn't he?!

Don't know how much you guys know about his back story, but he was a QB until his second year of college, when he was at Arizona Western CC.

39 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Think we should pump the breaks on Carr and Hollister. I know it's easy to get excited, but it's more likely they turn out to be this years Bam Childress and Zach Sudfield.

I don't think they make the cut.

3 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I think there's still a chance Mitchell starts the season on PUP. Reiss kind of hinted at it in his Sunday column.

They cant add him if he didnt start the pre-season on it. The rules as I understand them is if a player practices (which Mitchell has) they are thus ineligible for the list. If they are not on the list when we move into the regular season, they can not then be put on regular season PUP

Ahh my mistake. Misread Reiss' piece too where he stated a few times that Mitchell "could have" started the season on PUP.

Seems like the trend this TC is they're being extremely cautious with anyone injured and players who are going to play big roles this season. I'm very o board with that.

Archived