Ronald Acuna Appreciation Thread(Petition to change MLB to MLA Pending)

devils1854

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I'll say that he puts up his current AAA numbers this year in the bigs, but with more power and less BB rate.  Something like:

.250/.310/.415

I've seen too many less talented prospects destroy those numbers. I think Acuna is more Correa than Buxton.

10 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I've seen too many less talented prospects destroy those numbers. I think Acuna is more Correa than Buxton.

He's a year younger than Correa was when he debuted.  If this was next year, I'd be predicting much better numbers.  

12 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

so youre soley factoring in age here? solid logic.

9_9 

Not at all.  If you would have read my earlier post, I was also using his AAA performance as a factor.  But on that topic, here is how some other highly-respected and highly-valued 20 or younger year olds have fared in their debut seasons in the bigs:

Miggy Cabrera - .268/.325/.468

Justin Upton - .221/.283/.364

Mike Trout - .220/.281/.390

Bryce Harper - .270/.340/.477

Jason Heyward - .277/.393/.456

Andruw Jones - .217/.265/.443 (only 30 games at 19)  - .231/.329/.416 (full season at 20)

Adrian Beltre - .215/.278/.369

So even if I DID only use his age, the evidence shows that Acuna is not likely to light the world on fire.  Acuna doesn't have the offensive tools that Harper or Miggy had and he doesn't have the patience that Heyward had.  He has been comped to Andruw Jones by many regarding his tools, and Rams made the very apt Justin Upton comp that I think fits the best. There are probably more examples, but these are the guys I could remember coming up really early that had similar or better fanfare as Acuna.  As you can see, they didn't produce to start out.  Means nothing in the long run, but it's fairly silly to expect impact right away.

10 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

9_9 

Not at all.  If you would have read my earlier post, I was also using his AAA performance as a factor.  But on that topic, here is how some other highly-respected and highly-valued 20 or younger year olds have fared in their debut seasons in the bigs:

Miggy Cabrera - .268/.325/.468

Justin Upton - .221/.283/.364

Mike Trout - .220/.281/.390

Bryce Harper - .270/.340/.477

Jason Heyward - .277/.393/.456

Andruw Jones - .217/.265/.443 (only 30 games at 19)  - .231/.329/.416 (full season at 20)

Adrian Beltre - .215/.278/.369

So even if I DID only use his age, the evidence shows that Acuna is not likely to light the world on fire.  Acuna doesn't have the offensive tools that Harper or Miggy had and he doesn't have the patience that Heyward had.  He has been comped to Andruw Jones by many regarding his tools, and Rams made the very apt Justin Upton comp that I think fits the best. There are probably more examples, but these are the guys I could remember coming up really early that had similar or better fanfare as Acuna.  As you can see, they didn't produce to start out.  Means nothing in the long run, but it's fairly silly to expect impact right away.

you didnt really use his trip a performance though. you only looked at a really small sample this year while ingoring all context and last years #s. furrhermore, when asked to explain your reasoning you only brought up age. mike trout put up a 10 win season in a season where he was 4 months older than acuna, do you really feel that 4 months is that important? no one thinks acunas gonna puy that up but saying acuna will struggle because hes young is lazy imo.

Archived