Ronald Acuna Appreciation Thread(Petition to change MLB to MLA Pending)

devils1854

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

3-4, double and a dong.

#tooyoungtoproduce

No one said he's too young to produce. When projecting you can't project a newly turned 20-year-old to tear up the big leagues in his age 20 season. If it happens, then he's special, if not, he can still be special. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

No one said he's too young to produce. When projecting you can't project a newly turned 20-year-old to tear up the big leagues in his age 20 season. If it happens, then he's special, if not, he can still be special. 

just doing some teasing, this was just one game. nice of you to stick up for hrubes though.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

just doing some teasing, this was just one game. nice of you to stick up for hrubes though.

I'm probably getting old, but seems like it's always no middle ground anymore. When you say you don't think he'll go .300-30-100-40 in his age 20 season then you must hate Acuna or think he's a bust. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

I'm probably getting old, but seems like it's always no middle ground anymore. When you say you don't think he'll go .300-30-100-40 in his age 20 season then you must hate Acuna or think he's a bust. 

as i said, i was just teasing. this was literally 1% of the abs he'll see the rest of the year.  however, his projections werent him not being a star, it was him really struggling. its just lazy to say hell struggle cause hes young.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

as i said, i was just teasing. this was literally 1% of the abs he'll see the rest of the year.  however, his projections werent him not being a star, it was him really struggling. its just lazy to say hell struggle cause hes young.

Trout and Kershaw were bad their first time in the majors too. So it's easy to say a 20-year-old will struggle. 

31 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

I did say he would hit .345 with 20+ home runs this year, but I was being conservative with my projection.

11 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you didnt really use his trip a performance though. you only looked at a really small sample this year while ingoring all context and last years #s. furrhermore, when asked to explain your reasoning you only brought up age. mike trout put up a 10 win season in a season where he was 4 months older than acuna, do you really feel that 4 months is that important? no one thinks acunas gonna puy that up but saying acuna will struggle because hes young is lazy imo.

It was Trout’s 2nd exposure to MLB pitching. And yes, it makes a huge difference. You sarcastically say using Acuna’s age against him is “solid logic” and that it’s “lazy” to assume he won’t produce really well. Why on earth would you expect him to do something that superior offensive prospects couldn’t? Other than you being a Braves fan of course. 

29 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

It was Trout’s 2nd exposure to MLB pitching. And yes, it makes a huge difference. You sarcastically say using Acuna’s age against him is “solid logic” and that it’s “lazy” to assume he won’t produce really well. Why on earth would you expect him to do something that superior offensive prospects couldn’t? Other than you being a Braves fan of course. 

outside of him destroying pitching at every level with anything close to resembling a significant sample size? hes exceeded expectations at every level, i dont know if he will be great or average this year or what (despite you assuming i said hed prouce really well). Im not so foolish to say he will struggle because hes young though, then id be left justifying that with how much of a difference being 6 months older makes. lesser (or on par) offensive prospects have done really well at their first attempt in the majors, so its not that either, just look at seagers first month. Heck, look at jeff franceours first year, and he wasnt in the neighborhood of acuna prospect wise.

11 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

outside of him destroying pitching at every level with anything close to resembling a significant sample size? hes exceeded expectations at every level, i dont know if he will be great or average this year or what (despite you assuming i said hed prouce really well). Im not so foolish to say he will struggle because hes young though, then id be left justifying that with how much of a difference being 6 months older makes. lesser (or on par) offensive prospects have done really well at their first attempt in the majors, so its not that either, just look at seagers first month. Heck, look at jeff franceours first year, and he wasnt in the neighborhood of acuna prospect wise.

Seager and Francouer were both 21.  You keep making my point for me.  

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Seager and Francouer were both 21.  You keep making my point for me.  

see comment about trying to justify how 6 months is invalauble and how theres some magical difference between 20 and 21.

and even playing your game, albies did fine as  20 year old last year. whats the excuse for him?

12 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

see comment about trying to justify how 6 months is invalauble and how theres some magical difference between 20 and 21.

and even playing your game, albies did fine as  20 year old last year. whats the excuse for him?

Albies did well, for sure. But he's an exception, not the rule.  Perhaps Acuna is also an exception.  We won't know that until after the season.  But we know the following right now:

1.  There are very few 19 or 20 year olds in baseball history that have hit really well in their first taste of the big leagues.

2.  This includes guys with terrific offensive tools, like Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout, Justin Upton, etc, who struggled.

3.  These guys had, being conservative, the same grades on offensive tools that Acuna has, along with great minor league production.

4.  Acuna is 20 this year and will be seeing his first taste of big league pitching.

Given this, it would be wise to assume that he will not be a superstar right out of the gate.  The best baseball player we've seen wasn't one.  The best complete hitter of his generation wasn't one.  The odds are against Acuna being one.  Which is why I predicted him to be around a league average bat this year. 

FFS though, what is wrong with this board lately?  Everybody is getting defensive if you don't automatically assume a player on their team is the exception.  Lighten up, people.

42 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Albies did well, for sure. But he's an exception, not the rule.  Perhaps Acuna is also an exception.  We won't know that until after the season.  But we know the following right now:

1.  There are very few 19 or 20 year olds in baseball history that have hit really well in their first taste of the big leagues.

2.  This includes guys with terrific offensive tools, like Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout, Justin Upton, etc, who struggled.

3.  These guys had, being conservative, the same grades on offensive tools that Acuna has, along with great minor league production.

4.  Acuna is 20 this year and will be seeing his first taste of big league pitching.

Given this, it would be wise to assume that he will not be a superstar right out of the gate.  The best baseball player we've seen wasn't one.  The best complete hitter of his generation wasn't one.  The odds are against Acuna being one.  Which is why I predicted him to be around a league average bat this year. 

FFS though, what is wrong with this board lately?  Everybody is getting defensive if you don't automatically assume a player on their team is the exception.  Lighten up, people.

im not unlight. i never said acuna woulf be a superstar, nor do i expect it this year.

i just disagree with your reasoning. dont want to sound like a broken record but its lazy to me. no one wakes up on their 21st bday and feels totally different than they did at 20. weve seen 20 years have success, heck trout was one of them. you could say guys strugglr meat their first taste of the big leagues at 20, but even then making blanket statements isnt the best.

On 4/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

.270/.330/.440

Think the quality of contact improves over the year as he gets used to the pitching, but we won't see huge power right away.

Upon further consideration, given how young Acuna is, I'm going to revise this to .240/.290/.350

Archived