Draft Day Thread: 1st Round Discussion

Dome

What are you guys doing for the draft? I'll be smoking meats and drinking beers starting about 10am. Babyback ribs, a tri tip, and chicken wings.

How are ya'll spending the day? Hopefully not at work!!!

Who are your Top 5 most likely picks at 27?

I think we go DL or TE, possibly WR if someone falls to us. 

If a QB we like starts to fall I could see us making a move up for him. Patriots have more firepower if they have the same idea though.

Could see us going C or C/G combo if we trade back into the 2nd. Maybe moving back up into the 2nd to snag a TE there too. 

Do you expect a trade up all or nothing type move? Or a trade back into the second to land some midround picks as well?

I'm expecting us to trade up, just a hunch. Theres a ton of talent in the NFC right now and we need playmakers to put us over the edge. 

I HOPE we trade back. Trading back into the early 2nd while landing another 3rd or maybe a 2nd next year would be ideal. 

Well considering it's a Thursday, I'll be working all day then looking to catch the draft somehow since I don't have TV, just internet, probably catch it on ESPN.com.

Hopefully we have one of the top LBers fall to our laps, I know we made some moves to improve the position but I think these guys have a ton of potential and would be great pieces for the next 5-10 years, outside of that DL is definitely a need we should look at if we don't move up for a QB.

If we trade up for a QB I hope it's for anyone not named Baker Mayfield.  I just see a lot of things in him I'm not a fan of, though he does have the ability I think to do very well.

Predicting Lamar Jackson will be off the board and any LB that we would want. I feel TE would only be worth it if the brass feel we can get some utilization over the next season.

Delighted if we go from a strength of the draft and go CB. Pumped if a QB dropped to us. Will be ok if we drafted a TE. 

I trust the front office to make the right pick. Even if it's something we don't expect.

I personally want us to trade back. I would love if we were able to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick and be able to address a couple of needs rather than reaching in the 1st for a player.

10 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

What are you guys doing for the draft? I'll be smoking meats and drinking beers starting about 10am. Babyback ribs, a tri tip, and chicken wings.

How are ya'll spending the day? Hopefully not at work!!!

I work Monday, Tuesday, and Fridays 7am-8pm. And I switched this week for my sick wife, and am working both Thursday and Friday until 8pmxD I'll have the draft going on my FiOS mobile app though

12 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Do you expect a trade up all or nothing type move? Or a trade back into the second to land some midround picks as well?

I'm expecting us to trade up, just a hunch. Theres a ton of talent in the NFC right now and we need playmakers to put us over the edge. 

I HOPE we trade back. Trading back into the early 2nd while landing another 3rd or maybe a 2nd next year would be ideal. 

First... Im at work (Ship) but ill be off watch and we do have sat tv/internet so ill be able to chill in my stateroom and enjoy each and every pick.

My top 5 most likley at 27...

1. Frank Ragnow, OL: Arkansas

2. DJ Moore, WR: Maryland

3. Hayden Hurst, TE: South Carolina

4. Leighton Vander Esch, LB: Boise State

5. Josh Jackson, CB: Iowa

As far as trading up or back... The meat of this draft will be the 2nd and 3rd rounds so I suspect most teams will be unwilling to move those picks making it unlikely for the Saints to find a trade partner to move down. 

Moving up however is a higher probability as the Saints sit in a awkard position in the draft if they truly want to land an impact player in the 1st round. Personally im wondering just how much behind the scenes Sean Payton is clammoring for a pass rusher. He has consistantly since this process began said its a must to come out this draft with. Payton has relentlessly quoted the Saints need for a pressure player in this draft and IMO a trade up is the only way its gonna happen for us.

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

First... Im at work (Ship) but ill be off watch and we do have sat tv/internet so ill be able to chill in my stateroom and enjoy each and every pick.

My top 5 most likley at 27...

1. Frank Ragnow, OL: Arkansas

2. DJ Moore, WR: Maryland

3. Hayden Hurst, TE: South Carolina

4. Leighton Vander Esch, LB: Boise State

5. Josh Jackson, CB: Iowa

As far as trading up or back... The meat of this draft will be the 2nd and 3rd rounds so I suspect most teams will be unwilling to move those picks making it unlikely for the Saints to find a trade partner to move down. 

Moving up however is a higher probability as the Saints sit in a awkard position in the draft if they truly want to land an impact player in the 1st round. Personally im wondering just how much behind the scenes Sean Payton is clammoring for a pass rusher. He has consistantly since this process began said its a must to come out this draft with. Payton has relentlessly quoted the Saints need for a pressure player in this draft and IMO a trade up is the only way its gonna happen for us.

Hold up, you're Navy and you didn't tell me?

I reckon tonight we're either going TE or DL tonight and playing it safe, or going out with a bang and trading up for a QB. I don't see us taking any other positions. For us I reckon it's either 'add the extra piece to contend' or 'secure the future via the most important position'.

I reckon we'll keep an eye on Lamar Jackson tonight. If he gets to around say pick 13-14, I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade up and grab him. He has issues, yes, but I wouldn't put it past Payton to think he can fix him (and a lot of his issues are fixable).

Archived