Draft Day Thread: 1st Round Discussion

Dome

5 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Even though I wish we would have taken a number of players before a WR, Sean has been pretty good at drafting and developing WRs. The kid should be good.

I honestly have never watched a down...but Payton gets the benefit of the doubt with skilled offensive players. 

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

I honestly have never watched a down...but Payton gets the benefit of the doubt with skilled offensive players. 

Still a massive reach though. From what I read he was a 4th or 5th round talent.

8 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I don’t love the draft either, but in fairness I think we should at least see who we draft be for we write them off. :P

While I do agree with you, the whole draft feels meh. Hopefully it turns out well for us though.

2 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

ESPN had him ranked as the 10th WR and 82nd overall prospect. Take it with a grain of salt, but its not a reach if thats accurate

Apparently he was the highest player on the Saints board. Gotta respect going with their BPA.

The more I read into Smith the more it makes sense. He’s smart and does everything well...including blocking. A huge role for a WR in this offense is help Kamara and Ingram break long plays. You constantly hear Payton talk about a clear vision for a player, and you get the sense that there is a very specific and important role in mind for Smith. 

Some of my notes on Smith... Had to go bacl to my notebooks, lol.

OFF THE TAPE

"Sneaky speed. Lulls defenders inside routes but shows exceptional burst out of breaks to create separation."

"Tough hard nosed blocker for position, gives great effort in this area."

"Physical 50/50 ball guy with strong hands and down field ability"

"Knack for finding open lanes within defense"

WHAT WE LEARNED AT COMBINE

Freaky long arms for his size.

Sub 4.5 speed

Explosive traits

NEGATIVES

Does not have a full route tree yet.

Hands can be suspect at times.

Must work on getting off press coverage

Good not great athlete.

Good speed and burst but not a burner.

OVERALL

I personally gave Smith a 4th round grade based purely on the game tape and combine performance. However the Saints had him rated likley in the 2nd round especially after they factored in character, upside, medical and scheme fit.

Rereading my report on Smith he clearly fits the Saints new offensive approach and could be a replacement for the 33 year old Ted Ginn when the time comes as he has a very similar playing style.

I like the Smith pick a lot. He'll replace Ginn when he retires, and until then he'll play for a short time with Drew Brees. Once Ginn and Brees are gone we'll have 3 talented and experienced receivers in Thomas, Meredith (if all goes well with him) and Smith for our next quarterback. Smith will apparently be a limited pro receiver, but his talent will be good enough for this offense. He has the potential to be a solid #4 in Brees' final years. The timing is great for this move, since WR isn't a major need for us right now, but it will be soon. It's a good idea to get that next receiver now before Ginn and Brees retire and take their experience with them.

9 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Some of my notes on Smith... Had to go bacl to my notebooks, lol.

OFF THE TAPE

"Sneaky speed. Lulls defenders inside routes but shows exceptional burst out of breaks to create separation."

"Tough hard nosed blocker for position, gives great effort in this area."

"Physical 50/50 ball guy with strong hands and down field ability"

"Knack for finding open lanes within defense"

WHAT WE LEARNED AT COMBINE

Freaky long arms for his size.

Sub 4.5 speed

Explosive traits

NEGATIVES

Does not have a full route tree yet.

Hands can be suspect at times.

Must work on getting off press coverage

Good not great athlete.

Good speed and burst but not a burner.

OVERALL

I personally gave Smith a 4th round grade based purely on the game tape and combine performance. However the Saints had him rated likley in the 2nd round especially after they factored in character, upside, medical and scheme fit.

Rereading my report on Smith he clearly fits the Saints new offensive approach and could be a replacement for the 33 year old Ted Ginn when the time comes as he has a very similar playing style.

That’s pretty consistent with what I’ve seen smashing YouTube last night :)...and is also spot on from the Loomis conference. We tend to focus in on the physical traits and production...but more often than not it’s the intangibles that determine whether or not someone pans out. 

18 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm still high on Mike Gesicki - TE out of Penn State - won't last to 91 though.

I'd be very happy with:
Mason Rudolph QB - also won't last
I also really like BJ Hill - DT out of NC State

Or trade back for Foley Fatukasi - DT out of Connecticut
And my Homerism is going to say - Josey Jewell - ILB out of Iowa - The kid is a stud! Durable, and smart. He's a touch slow on the top end, but quick.

So we still have a shot at Fatukasi. Keeping fingers crossed. 6'4" 320lbs, I think he'd fit in nicely next to Rankins.

Archived