Draft Day Thread: 1st Round Discussion

Dome

26 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I feel like they're reaching, but they have had good luck hitting on offensive lineman in the past. He will fill one of the backup roles on the offensive line.

Yup, I was hoping for Tim Settle but figures we'd go O-Line concerning our lack of depth there. Also looks like were rolling with Fleener / Watson /Hill @TE for 2018 barring a surprise, I'm still concerned about our DT depth but maybe the saints feel good about guys like mitchell loewen? Overall solid draft so far but disappointed we didn't make a move for a TE / interior defensive linemen.

Never heard of the guy before today but like what am reading so far, hopefully he pans out.

9 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Seems our last 3 picks (S, CB and RB) are all picked for their special teams ability. Mayock even said the S (name escapes me) was the best special teamer in the draft.

Don't mind that at all, since it is our weakest side of the ball.  We've lost quite a few games and blamed it on offense or defense when the truth is special teams was horrendous the whole time.  

Not a sexy draft, but we had sexy last year. This was a serviceable draft, and likely one that is really needed.

This one reminds me of a few years ago with Peat, 2015, and we were all complaining about spending a 1st on him. Well, we needed him this last season, and he was there, and there good!

That was a thick draft with 9 selections. Bonus Kit-Kat bar to whoever can name more that 3 of those selections without cheating (googleing).

Just now, Mid Iowa said:

Not a sexy draft, but we had sexy last year. This was a serviceable draft, and likely one that is really needed.

This one reminds me of a few years ago with Peat, 2015, and we were all complaining about spending a 1st on him. Well, we needed him this last season, and he was there, and there good!

That was a thick draft with 9 selections. Bonus Kit-Kat bar to whoever can name more that 3 of those selections without cheating (googleing).

This reminds me of the 2014 draft, but I could certainly see 2015.

25 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Definitely agree it wasn't a sexy draft, but it could really be an important draft. This could be the finishing touches on a superbowl roster. After Davenport and Smith, most of these picks will be either holding down ST (which I loved, ask BB how important ST is) or replacing depth in the trenches.

I'm hoping we can pick up LB Skai Moore and QB Logan Woodside as competition in UDFA, but I'm pretty content at this draft. I'm eager to read Mike D's recap of this draft by asking NFL execs around the league (last year, one them compared Kamara to Chaarles and Hendrickson to Connor Barwin).

And 2015 draft:

Peat, Stepan Anthony, PJ Williams?

This draft screams "All in on 2018" to me... Davenport fills thier most pressing need over the last 3 years, Smith gives Brees yet another weapon on offense, Leonard adds valuable depth on the O-line which was our last MUST and the rest of the draft was like Payton and Loomis just let Mike Westoff alone in the war room on the 3rd day.

Some might not agree with the win now approach but you cannot fault a franchise for trying to make the most of the final years of the greatest player in franchises history and future hall of fame quarterback Drew Brees final years. 

26 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Some might not agree with the win now approach

I’m OK with it.... but how many times have we seen this FO enter “win now” mode? Seems like “win now” is what led us into cap hell a few years back. 

Ive seen that “win now” phrase in this forum dating back to 2010 or 2011.

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I’m OK with it.... but how many times have we seen this FO enter “win now” mode? Seems like “win now” is what led us into cap hell a few years back. 

Ive seen that “win now” phrase in this forum dating back to 2010 or 2011.

True but this situation appears to be different... We have a very talented young roster with a hall of fame quarterback.

Even after an all in approach over the next couple years we will still be in great shape when Brees deal comes off the books well have the money to secure our young core then the next QB will either be on a very reasonable deal or a rookie contract.

More so... We as Saints fans may finally need to warm up to the possibility that Sean Payton views Taysom Hill as in fact the heir.

Archived