Draft Day Thread: 1st Round Discussion

Dome

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

True but this situation appears to be different... We have a very talented young roster with a hall of fame quarterback.

Even after an all in approach over the next couple years we will still be in great shape when Brees deal comes off the books well have the money to secure our young core then the next QB will either be on a very reasonable deal or a rookie contract.

More so... We as Saints fans may finally need to warm up to the possibility that Sean Payton views Taysom Hill as in fact the heir.

Hopefully we get to see some Taysom in  the preseason

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

I’m OK with it.... but how many times have we seen this FO enter “win now” mode? Seems like “win now” is what led us into cap hell a few years back. 

Ive seen that “win now” phrase in this forum dating back to 2010 or 2011.

Yes, but we also missed on a slew of draft picks and free agents like Bird, Browner, Spiller complete and utter failures.  Not to mention the bountygate fiasco.  

The way I see it, win now mode is always gonna be a bit of a gamble, but the risk reward ratio is best for a team like we have.  

13 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I’m OK with it.... but how many times have we seen this FO enter “win now” mode? Seems like “win now” is what led us into cap hell a few years back. 

Ive seen that “win now” phrase in this forum dating back to 2010 or 2011.

You're right. The "win now" mode did put us in cap hell for a few years. It also got us to WIN NOW in 2009 with all the defensive additions and opening up the pocket book for Greg Williams.

So, if we hit cap hell in exchange for a Lombardi, I guess I'm okay with it. It's better than the 1967 through 2006 seasons.

8 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

You're right. The "win now" mode did put us in cap hell for a few years. It also got us to WIN NOW in 2009 with all the defensive additions and opening up the pocket book for Greg Williams.

So, if we hit cap hell in exchange for a Lombardi, I guess I'm okay with it. It's better than the 1967 through 2006 seasons.

I guess the difference to me is... why was it “win now” in 2009?

I think I’ve probably heard that phrase somewhere in this forum like 5 or 6 of the last 8 seasons lol. Every year can’t be win now mode or win now doesn’t really mean anything IMO

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I guess the difference to me is... why was it “win now” in 2009?

I think I’ve probably heard that phrase somewhere in this forum like 5 or 6 of the last 8 seasons lol. Every year can’t be win now mode or win now doesn’t really mean anything IMO

Oddly, I agree 100%. ;)

Another thing I can’t quite shake.

Were in “win now” mode.

Davenports biggest issue is that he’s raw and might be a project to transition to the NFL.

Thats not really a “win now” move.

I’m fine with the pick, it’s a huge need and he could be the best edge in the draft when it’s all said and done. But the trade value was bad, and the compensation pretty much requires him to step in and be a quality starter day 1 or people will question it right out of the gates 

theres a LOT riding on this guy to perform

4 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Were in “win now” mode.

Davenports biggest issue is that he’s raw and might be a project to transition to the NFL.

I’m fine with the pick, it’s a huge need and he could be the best edge in the draft when it’s all said and done. But the trade value was bad, and the compensation pretty much requires him to step in and be a quality starter day 1 or people will question it right out of the gates 

The "Davenport is raw" talk is overrated...

His talent is raw and untapped to a point but its so great that his impact even as a rookie will be huge, thats why his upside is so tantalizing. 

Also the whole "lower competition" he faced is overblown as well. The kid was on a young school but played aganist conference USA competition. Not like he was at a D-3 school.

Davenport will be just fine, he'll have a major impact on this defense as a rookie and the hope is that by year 2-3 he will realize his total potential and become one of the best edge defenders in all of football.

Just remember this... Bradely Chubb is a better player right now but Chubb does not have Davenports upside. Bill Parcells always said about drafting d-lineman, you draft the player that they will become and not the player they are now. Chubb benifited from top level coaching that developed him into what his talent is now. Davenport now has the coach that just put his entire college D-line in the NFL including Chubb.

6 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Just remember this... Bradely Chubb is a better player right now but Chubb does not have Davenports upside. Bill Parcells always said about drafting d-lineman, you draft the player that they will become and not the player they are now. Chubb benifited from top level coaching that developed him into what his talent is now. Davenport now has the coach that just put his entire college D-line in the NFL including Chubb.

I'm excited to see what Cam Jordan can do with this kid. All the tips & tricks he can share. 

It's fun to know that a person with "raw talent" is going to have the tutelage of one of the best edge rushers in the league.

13 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Were in “win now” mode.

I think "raw" means different things at different positions.  A position like CB or QB, raw can be something that keeps them from playing immediately as they require a lot of nuisances to play the position well, a WR though can at times get away with being raw due to being able to just speed past someone or fight for a jump ball and get immediate success while they develop and I think the same goes for a DE if their primary responsibilities are going to be that of a pass rusher early on.  Davenport, although raw, has enough talent to be an effective pass rush threat immediately, though maybe not a full-time starter due to other aspects of the position that need to be taken into account.

So as a "win now" move it still makes sense as it should provide an upgrade in pass rush over Okafor, though Okafor will likely see more snaps on 1st and 2nd down due to him being a better all around player right now.

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think "raw" means different things at different positions.  A position like CB or QB, raw can be something that keeps them from playing immediately as they require a lot of nuisances to play the position well, a WR though can at times get away with being raw due to being able to just speed past someone or fight for a jump ball and get immediate success while they develop and I think the same goes for a DE if their primary responsibilities are going to be that of a pass rusher early on.  Davenport, although raw, has enough talent to be an effective pass rush threat immediately, though maybe not a full-time starter due to other aspects of the position that need to be taken into account.

So as a "win now" move it still makes sense as it should provide an upgrade in pass rush over Okafor, though Okafor will likely see more snaps on 1st and 2nd down due to him being a better all around player right now.

Exactly. A raw DE can still run on a field and chase someone. Strength and speed are still things. He will develop more technique as time comes.

18 minutes ago, Raves said:

I guess that’s my point. Trading up for a DE in a “win now” mode, but his ability to get on the field is expected to be limited because we have a better player at the position already?

Seems like a move for the future, not necessarily a “win now” move. I’m not even criticizing the move at this point, just the way it’s being sold/perceived. 

3 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I’m not even criticizing the move at this point, just the way it’s being sold/perceived.

I think it's being perceived as a win-now move because of the way it all happened.

Everyone and their mama thought the Saints were about to take a QB (win in the future) but we reached a little bit for a DE (current need).

And it's a current need because they apparently are not convinced that Okafor can make it through a full season and playoffs.

1 hour ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I think it's being perceived as a win-now move because of the way it all happened.

Everyone and their mama thought the Saints were about to take a QB (win in the future) but we reached a little bit for a DE (current need).

And it's a current need because they apparently are not convinced that Okafor can make it through a full season and playoffs.

It's a need regardless of Okafor's status. 

The one that surprises me (although it shouldn't) is the Saints not selecting any LBs. As far as I can tell, they didn't even bring in any UFA LBs. (maybe 1?)

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

It's a need regardless of Okafor's status. 

The one that surprises me (although it shouldn't) is the Saints not selecting any LBs. As far as I can tell, they didn't even bring in any UFA LBs. (maybe 1?)

They brought in 1 guys, I can't remember his name but apparently he's a physical beast without the skill.

Archived