Draft Day Thread: 1st Round Discussion

Dome

23 minutes ago, hsfolk said:

y'all are overthinking what NO gave up, we just switched the #27 pick for #14 this year and gave them a 5th round pick w/ a 1st round pick next year is just a 2nd round pick this year

If we pick in the back end of the 1st round it's not terrible. It's still not good value, but it's not terrible. The problem is we don't know what will happen next season. The pick could be in the Top 5. You never know.

Here is Bob McGinn's take about Davenport (based on scouts):

MARCUS DAVENPORT, DE, Texas-San Antonio: 6-5 ½, 264.

Will become the second player drafted out of the Roadrunners’ sixth-year program. “I had never done San Antonio before,” said one scout. “He’s a pure pass rusher. He can zone drop and turn but I never saw him in coverage. He’s an excellent athlete with good strength (22 reps on the bench). Plays with good pad level against the run. Can shed. Has the speed to corner. Uses his hands. I have no negatives on him whatsoever.” Registered 22 sacks in 46 games over four seasons. Weighed about 200 pounds coming out of high school. Had a big week at the Senior Bowl. “He is going top 20 but I wouldn’t take him in the first round,” another scout said. “He scares the crap out of me. He’s a renaissance man, writes poetry and (bleep) like that. I don’t know if football is really that big for him. There’s times he can be soft.”

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

"I have no negatives on him whatsoever.” - This is major to me.

“He is going top 20 but I wouldn’t take him in the first round,” another scout said. “He scares the crap out of me. He’s a renaissance man, writes poetry and (bleep) like that. I don’t know if football is really that big for him. There’s times he can be soft.” - This is the kind of BS that pisses me off. This is hypermasculine bull. So the dude writes poetry. So the dude wore a feminism shirt. So he has outside interests. I've also seen his bullrush, so stay out of his way. Soft? This dude is simply trying to attack his character and nothing else.

Kid seems like a good mind with incredible talent. I love the pick.

2 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Reggie White was a Minister who would sing gospel as he whouped your you know what on his way to the quarterback.

Myles Garrett went #1 overall last year and lools like one of the best young pass rushers in the NFL and all he wanted to talk to scouts about was archeology and dinosaurs.

Id tell that guy to watch his tape... He plays violent and with a motor. Who cares what he does in his off time as long as hes not beating women or doing drugs we good.

People still twisted over the trade... Lol i got news for ya, dont be suprised to see the Saints move up into the 2nd round today. Saints sent a message yesterday that there all in for 2018 so I suspect them to target another impact player.

They could package their 3rd, 4th and one of their 6th round picks as well as players such as Kikaha to get up there.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bummed about not picking Lamar Jackson after trading up. That said, Marcus Davenport would have been my next choice at 14, so I'm not too upset. I just hope this one doesn't come back to bite us in a couple years with Lamar Jackson turning into a superstar, and Davenport being just a good pass rusher for what we paid. From an athletic standpoint I don't know if there is another DE/LB in this draft I'd take over Davenport. He looks like an absolute beast on the field, even if it's been against lower level competition. Athletically he tested very similar to a guy like Jadeveon Clowney, which say a lot about how freakish Davenport really is.

Davenport:

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=132376&draftyear=2018&genpos=DE

Clowney:

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/pyrnotes.php?pyid=119316&draftyear=2014&genpos=DE

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bummed about not picking Lamar Jackson after trading up. That said, Marcus Davenport would have been my next choice at 14, so I'm not too upset. I just hope this one doesn't come back to bite us in a couple years with Lamar Jackson turning into a superstar, and Davenport being just a good pass rusher for what we paid. From an athletic standpoint I don't know if there is another DE/LB in this draft I'd take over Davenport. He looks like an absolute beast on the field, even if it's been against lower level competition. Athletically he tested very similar to a guy like Jadeveon Clowney, which say a lot about how freakish Davenport really is.

Davenport:

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=132376&draftyear=2018&genpos=DE

Clowney:

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/pyrnotes.php?pyid=119316&draftyear=2014&genpos=DE

This

Looking at day two... I really think were coming up again guys. Of Paytons must/need list hes down to a receiver or an offensive lineman. I think the Saints will target quality over quality today and go up for a top WR, OL or DT.

What yall think?

12 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

This

Looking at day two... I really think were coming up again guys. Of Paytons must/need list hes down to a receiver or an offensive lineman. I think the Saints will target quality over quality today and go up for a top WR, OL or DT.

What yall think?

Book it, WR or LB. And then he grabs some G from some school we never heard of and he becomes another Jermon Bushrod or Carl NicksxD

1 minute ago, navysaintsfan said:

Book it, WR or LB. And then he grabs some G from some school we never heard of and he becomes another Jermon Bushrod or Carl NicksxD

Nicks came from Oklahoma, I think you mixed him up with Jahri Evans and Bloomsfield.

Just now, navysaintsfan said:

Exactly that. We seem to be good at finding quality OLine depth from small schools

I keep thinking about the Davenport trade... Saints were playing with house money.

If he hits and becomes an elite edge rusher hes well worth it.

If he develops into a quality player but never a star most will say we overpaid but it was for a premium position and our biggest need.

If he bust fans will be upset but will give front office a pass because the 2017 draft was just so good.

Archived