SUSHI TRAIN CONDUCTED BY DORSEY

mistakey

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

So yesterday it was Darnold as a lock and the team was blowing smoke to get Chubb at #4

Today it's the Browns are trading out of 4 for Ward and now Mayfield is the pick at #1.

I can't handle this emotional rollercoaster.

Yeah. Too hard on the soul. 

I still think it is Darnold at 1.

10 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Well the next team that hires Sashi as their player personnel guy will be really fortunate to have him then.

lol jk nobody is gonna hire him as their player personnel guy

He wasn’t their personnel guy, that was Andrew Berry, who this regime has kept and who Bill Polian spoke highly of.

Former exec of the year Grigson was his number 2.

Unless you think Sashi was watching tape...

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@big poppa pump I’m for sure saying hold off on Trubisky and Mahomes too, but it’s pretty unreasonable to hold a GM accountable for not only the picks they make, but the ones they pass on.  Im not saying they aren’t talented, but those two weren’t exactly can miss prospects, most weren’t as high on either of them as the top 2-3 guys this year.

The win total last year and the year before were never the goal, it was about building a sustainable winner through the draft. Spending a lot on free agents and scraping together 4-6 wins is essentially what every regime prior to them did.  They took a pitiful roster, nuked it and worked to build it up over 3-5 years.

The part about when to select a QB can’t be overlooked either.  Let’s assume they had taken Wentz and he is just as good here as in Philly (doubtful).  As of now, we have a 3 year window before we have to pay that QB a whopping contract. Is the rest of this roster ready to compete right now?  I don’t think so.  As many teams have shown, unless your QB is willing to give you a discount, it becomes increasingly difficult to win with a QB sucking up 20% of your cap space.

If you build the team up around the QB first, like the Rams for example, you have a 3-4 year window when you can pay the position players a ton, have a great team and potentially win a title. This is exactly what Philly, Seattle, Baltimore, Steelers and Giants have done in the last decade and a half.

It’s not about giving Sashi a pass, it’s identifying what his objective was and what he was doing to meet that objective.  You are fixed on his w/l record but that was never his objective for the last 2 seasons. You’re not “letting him off the hook” for not doing something he never tried to do.

It's not unreasonable to hold a gm accountable for passing on QB's that were staring at him in the face when they picked high.

We have had this argument multiple times.  The time to grab a franchise QB is when you don't have one.  There is no IDEAL time.  It's the moment you realize that one is not on your roster.  Sashi was not a prognosticator.  He could not have envisioned getting a number 1 pick this year.  He could not have known that Watson would ball out, get hurt, and get lucky into the 4th overall pick.

And yes..ultimately, GM's coaches, and players are judged on wins.  They should be.  That  is the goal in professional sports.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

It's not unreasonable to hold a gm accountable for passing on QB's that were staring at him in the face when they picked high.

Sure, but Cleveland fans are unreasonable with what they expect.  For example anyone who thinks they should have take Wentz assumes he’d have been the same player here, but it doesn’t work like that, there are a slew of other factors in play.

We have had this argument multiple times.  The time to grab a franchise QB is when you don't have one.  There is no IDEAL time.  It's the moment you realize that one is not on your roster.

This is 100% an opinion that ignores every fact r/t the cap ramifications I previously mentioned.

Sashi was not a prognosticator.  He could not have envisioned getting a number 1 pick this year.  He could not have known that Watson would ball out, get hurt, and get lucky into the 4th overall pick.

True, which is why he made sure we wouldn’t need the Texans pick to get the QB.  Unless you think having the youngest and cheapest roster was a him just trying and failing to win as many games as possible.

And yes..ultimately, GM's coaches, and players are judged on wins.  They should be.  That  is the goal in professional sports.

Absolutely, but with context and scope included.  By judging him on wins, you ignore the scope of the task he was hired to do and roster corrections that had to be made.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Especially Buffalo they could suck next year. 

If they got no 1 overall and Sammy d is legit we could trade that pick for untold millions.

Buffalo and Arizona both look likely to stiiiiiink next year. Especially if it is Allen that they are moving up for. I would love to pick up a 1st from either.

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Buffalo and Arizona both look likely to stiiiiiink next year. Especially if it is Allen that they are moving up for. I would love to pick up a 1st from either.

I can’t like this. But it like it.

35 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

1,12,22 future 1st 2019 

1. Sam Darnold QB 

12. Denzel Ward CB 

22. Marcus Davenport DE 

trade both 2019 1st round picks 

Garrett,Oliver,Ogunjobi,Ogbah with Davenport coming off the bench 

See this is what I’ve been talking about!

57 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

So yesterday it was Darnold as a lock and the team was blowing smoke to get Chubb at #4

Today it's the Browns are trading out of 4 for Ward and now Mayfield is the pick at #1.

I can't handle this emotional rollercoaster.

Mayfield has been the pick all along, you all just stubbornly refuse to admit it :)

39 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

1,12,22 future 1st 2019 

1. Sam Darnold QB 

12. Denzel Ward CB 

22. Marcus Davenport DE 

trade both 2019 1st round picks 

Garrett,Oliver,Ogunjobi,Ogbah with Davenport coming off the bench 

Obviously it depends on what trades happen in the top 10, but I'll be very surprised if Ward is available at #12.

2 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I think this isn't the worst move this year. Let's face it, Chubb is not really all that worthy of being the #4 pick. I mean, he's good, but compared to previous classes, he is just not that same type of prospect. I'd love a Denzel Ward at 12.

This is the most ridiculous statement I have seen this draft season. Bradley Chubb is not Clowney or Garrett but he's without a doubt a bonafide Top 5 talent. In the last 5 drafts he would have ranked 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 6th and no questions asked, hands down the #1 prospect in 2013. 

I want a trade down #1 because there is more value in it than just taking the player because you increase you chances(Obviously got to be smart about it) Trading a Top 10 pick for a late 20s pick defeats the entire purpose. Stating within the Top 12 this year preferable Top 10 and adding an addition Top 45 pick would be huge. I am a trade down guy all the way but if we take Bradley Chubb at #4 he is more than worth the pick. He's far more worth the pick than Saquan Barkley. Again not Bosa, Clowney or Garrett but he's better than Fowler, Jordan, Ansah, Mingo, Williams, Thomas and Buckner who were all Top 7 picks most Top 3 picks just within the last 5 years.

Archived