• Marcus Davenport EDGE UTSA
    • Denzel Ward CB Ohio State
    • Roquan Smith LB Georgia
    • Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech
    • Derwin James WILB/S Florida State
    • Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama
    • Lamar Jackson QB Louisville

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/2018 at 02:00 AM

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Derwin James

Honestly I think all three of these guys have the potential to be the best player in this draft class.

Minkah Fitzpatrick

I think Fitz helps us win now and is the better fit defensively. It sets us up well for if/when Eric Weddle decides to call it quits. Fitz is the kind of young guy you can entrust the back half of your defense with and know it’ll be in good hands.

Lamar Jackson

Jackson I think has the biggest potential in the class, my only concern is that I believe the NFL has a bias against colored QBs and dual threat QBs both. Jackson is both, double negative. So no matter how dynamic I believe he will be, I worry that the leash will be entirely too short for him. That if for some reason Harbaugh is replaced as HC, the new coach might want “his guy” in at QB to work “his system” and not be willing to work with Jackson to adjust the offense to his strengths. Plus I think Joe Flacco is still a solid QB that you can win a super bowl with. So there’s too much indecision for me to put Jackson ahead of Minkah.

Derwin James

I think he’s similarly good to Minkah, but I just think the impact of a deep threat eraser with corner skills is more impactful than a hyper athletic strong safety that you can throw in the box or have shadow dominant tight ends. It’s close, but I lean the value towards the free safety. Minkah also has superior ball skills for interceptions and to score touchdowns afterwards when the ball is in his hands. Jakes is a beast, but has only 1 INT returned for a touchdown compared to Minkah’s 4 and his total of 3 INTs (1.5/yr) to Fitzpatrick’s 9 INTs (3/yr).

1. Derwin James

2. Tremaine Edmunds

3. Roquan Smith

is how I voted. I've never expected Minkah to be on the board when we picked, but reading everyones takes it brings to mind the Ed Reed glory days. He would be an amazing addition to our team, we are getting Tavon back but we need help in the slot. I checked the college stats on Minkah and Ed Reed, Mikah had 9 career picks and 4 defensive touchdowns, Ed had 21 career picks at Miami and 4 defensive touchdowns. Minkah had 1 punt return TD, but Ed had 9 ints and over 200 return yards as a senior O.o how did he fall to us?

He won't be Ed, but Minkah seems like the ultimate draft day gift now. Derwin seems perfect for the spot next to Mosley, as does Roquan who would just make a great Raven and learn from Suggs and Mosley, any of these guys could be the future face of the defense. Edmunds is one of the most built out beast mode looking LBs I've seen come out since Clowney. But we really don't need any of these players, and I want Tim Williams and Bowser to take over the pass rusher roles. 

Truth be told I want us to trade back and go WR/C with DJ Moore and Frank Ragnow, but if defense falls those talents are too good to pass up.

great thing is, Ravens are in no-mans land w/ the 16th pick but are more or less guaranteed a high quality player dropping due to aaaaall the QB frenzy that'll go down tonight (most definitely). and they could use improvements anywhere so you take whatever highest rated player drops imo.

have gotten the impression that Fitzpatrick is most likely to drop for some time now and mocked him to us, stand by my words.

too many quality DBs to chose from and the teams in front of us - besides GB - really should have more pressing needs.

That’s fair. I just think of the defensive backs that could fall, I’d put my best bet on Denzel Ward.

He's not the ideal prototype as he’s slight framed. Also this class has some excellent corners behind him such as Oliver, Alexander, Hughes, etc. And lastly, we hear a lot about how Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick are great leaders, I don’t hear so much about Ward in that respect. So especially considering the versatility of those guys over Ward, I think he’s the most outclassed by the other top options. Though, I guess maybe that’s because I prefer my corners to be dominant press man options.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

That’s fair. I just think of the defensive backs that could fall, I’d put my best bet on Denzel Ward.

He's not the ideal prototype as he’s slight framed. Also this class has some excellent corners behind him such as Oliver, Alexander, Hughes, etc. And lastly, we hear a lot about how Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick are great leaders, I don’t hear so much about Ward in that respect. So especially considering the versatility of those guys over Ward, I think he’s the most outclassed by the other top options. Though, I guess maybe that’s because I prefer my corners to be dominant press man options.

In the last few days, Ray Lewis was on FS1 doing a film breakdown of prospects (side note, ESPN really wasted him by having him be "rah rah" Ray Lewis rather than film savant Ray Lewis) and he was talking about Fitzpatrick.  He pointed out a lot of technique/football instincts things that really made me love him as a potential pick even more than the talent and playmaking abilitiy I was already aware of.

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

In the last few days, Ray Lewis was on FS1 doing a film breakdown of prospects (side note, ESPN really wasted him by having him be "rah rah" Ray Lewis rather than film savant Ray Lewis) and he was talking about Fitzpatrick.  He pointed out a lot of technique/football instincts things that really made me love him as a potential pick even more than the talent and playmaking abilitiy I was already aware of.

Yup. I saw a similar breakdown that really turned me around on Minkah as well. Then to hear things like Minkah was frustrated with himself that he blew a coverage, even though Alabama was blowing the opposing Trak out by 40 points. That’s the mark of a guy that’s going to equally hold other guys accountable for their play and never get complacent. That’s the guy that demands greatness from his peers like Ray Lewis did. That’s the kind of obsessive trait that all the GOAT level players have regardless of sport. Ray Lewis, Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, Kobe Bryant, Bill Russell, Steph Curry, Harrison Smith, etc. That’s why I’m so sure about Minkah Fitzpatrick as a player. He’s already a great player, but that mindset should turn him into a HOF player.

Edit: And I agree completely with the ESPN wasting Lewis part. FS1 is really my favorite place to watch sports analysis now.

18 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. I saw a similar breakdown that really turned me around on Minkah as well. Then to hear things like Minkah was frustrated with himself that he blew a coverage, even though Alabama was blowing the opposing Trak out by 40 points. That’s the mark of a guy that’s going to equally hold other guys accountable for their play and never get complacent. That’s the guy that demands greatness from his peers like Ray Lewis did. That’s the kind of obsessive trait that all the GOAT level players have regardless of sport. Ray Lewis, Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, Kobe Bryant, Bill Russell, Steph Curry, Harrison Smith, etc. That’s why I’m so sure about Minkah Fitzpatrick as a player. He’s already a great player, but that mindset should turn him into a HOF player.

Edit: And I agree completely with the ESPN wasting Lewis part. FS1 is really my favorite place to watch sports analysis now.

The only person I like on ESPN anymore is SVP.

Archived