Final draft thoughts before tomorrow night

Golfman

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

At this point I disagree. Rodgers is a once in a century talent and he is getting old. Give him all the talent he needs for the next couple years to go on a superbowl run. If we suck after he is gone at least we get to possibly pick high and get our QB of the future. 

This is the one time I think mortgaging the future is actually appropriate. 

I guess I don't know who they think they need to move up to select. I don't think you need to move up to get Fitzpatrick. If they are looking at Roquan Smith or Derwin James i can see having to move up. I'm not a huge fan of moving up for Ward. Maybe its because i like corners they get move back into the late first or early 2nd to select. Isaiah Oliver is one of those i think would be great.

What about this scenario:

Trade down - #14 for NE's #23 and #31

Then, Trade up  - Our 2nd, 1st 4th, 1st 5th and 1st 7th to PHI for #32

That would give us 3 1st round picks to select EDGE, CB and WR/OT, all with 5th year options

1 minute ago, mightybk said:

What about this scenario:

Trade down - #14 for NE's #23 and #31

Then, Trade up  - Our 2nd, 1st 4th, 1st 5th and 1st 7th to PHI for #32

That would give us 3 1st round picks to select EDGE, CB and WR/OT, all with 5th year options

Kinda what the Vikings did a few years back. Wouldnt be opposed to this as long as we get 3 good players.

15 hours ago, James Lofton said:

Mayock's mock is one of the few I actually pay attention to.

He has Derwin James snatched up at 7

Ward at 9

Edmunds at 11

Fitzpatrick at 12

And pick 14....Jaire Alexander - CB, Louisville

hmmmm, not who I was hoping for

I've been thinking Alexander at #14 for the past week or so.  Not my preferred pick heading in, but I think it's likely enough that he will be one of the better options left when #14 is on the clock.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I've been thinking Alexander at #14 for the past week or so.  Not my preferred pick heading in, but I think it's likely enough that he will be one of the better options left when #14 is on the clock.

Doesn't hit the size requirements...

16 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

I don't like giving up future picks.

Agreed ... you generally lose a round in value when you do this. It has to be truly exceptional circumstances to trade future picks. If anything I would always be looking to trade for future picks as you gain a round (trade a 7th for a 6th this year then next year trade that for a 5th and eventually you get a free 1st).

Just worried Gute is going to make a statement move for the sake of it. We need a receiver day 2 so can't afford to give up one of the second day picks. Whilst I'd agree we don't need 12 picks - we do need our three picks from the first couple of days and I'd be reluctant to give up 4th rounders. More than happy to give up all of our 6th and 7th rounders but that wont get you far.

6 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Agreed ... you generally lose a round in value when you do this. It has to be truly exceptional circumstances to trade future picks. If anything I would always be looking to trade for future picks as you gain a round (trade a 7th for a 6th this year then next year trade that for a 5th and eventually you get a free 1st).

It takes two to tango...

10 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Just worried Gute is going to make a statement move for the sake of it.

Wouldn't be too worried about him going overboard or anything. TT and Gute have been calling the shots together for years and they are still calling the shots together.

It seems like we've gone from being comfortable with Davenport-Landry-Jackson to fretting that we may be able to snag James-Edmunds-Ward-Fitzpatrick with a trade up, and that kind of fretting leads to disappointment that we manufacture out of thin air.

We're at 14, not 4.

I want Gutey to hit one down the middle with a wedge to the green---I can't believe his strategy would involve giving up a third. The opinions are all over the place regarding whether a trade up should be for James, or Edmunds, or Ward, or Fitzpatrick so how much better could they be than the ceiling of a Davenport?

I'm starting to root for a trade down followed by a trade up. Two bites at the second tier would be sweet.

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Doesn't hit the size requirements...

To be fair.... the actual cutoff point for height is likely 5104. 

Alexander is 5102, tested extremely well, and has plus ball skills.

I certainly wouldn't rule him out based on size. 

Archived