Disney to leave Netflix; Create Streaming service for ESPN & Disney

Acgott

The Walt Disney Company announced today that it has agreed to acquire majority ownership of BAMTech, LLC and will launch its ESPN-branded multi-sport video streaming service in early 2018, followed by a new Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service in 2019.

With this strategic shift, Disney will end its distribution agreement with Netflix for subscription streaming of new releases, beginning with the 2019 calendar year theatrical slate.

With everyone getting their own streaming service, cord cutters could be paying the same price for cable.

52 minutes ago, Acgott said:

With everyone getting their own streaming service, cord cutters could be paying the same price for cable.

Exactly. There is a point where there are just too many diversified Streaming services, and it will become more beneficial to go back to your dish/cable company. Especially if they can improve there facsimile of streaming in their OnDemand feature.

If they can pull off a full Disney/ESPN/Marvel/etc. streaming service, then maybe it can work. But as consumers we are deep into the diminishing returns. Its no longer like when it was just Netflix with the endless pit of entertainment, with a few niche other services. 

If you would subscribe to 6 services (depending which) you are getting very close to a Cable bill, without any Live TV. I cant imagine this ESPN service would include most of their live events, as that is the last bastion of Ad revenue. Or it will be way over priced compared to the other services.

Very curious about the ESPN service. Live sports is a big thing stopping people from cord cutting. This could be a first step to that. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

There is a point where there are just too many diversified Streaming services, and it will become more beneficial to go back to your dish/cable company. Especially if they can improve there facsimile of streaming in their OnDemand feature.

If big companies like Disney go with their own dedicated services though, it could change the dish/cable companies as well. If this trend continues with other big fish's, it would be more advantageous and likely cheaper for them to have the majority of their produced content on their own services as opposed to on cable/dish channels. OnDemand is the future of television, whether that is via streaming services or cable/dish companies is the question. Will the big fishes play ball with cable/dish companies in their play for ondemand content or will they all branch off into their own services making cable/dish almost irrelevant? 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Exactly. There is a point where there are just too many diversified Streaming services, and it will become more beneficial to go back to your dish/cable company. Especially if they can improve there facsimile of streaming in their OnDemand feature.

If they can pull off a full Disney/ESPN/Marvel/etc. streaming service, then maybe it can work. But as consumers we are deep into the diminishing returns. Its no longer like when it was just Netflix with the endless pit of entertainment, with a few niche other services. 

If you would subscribe to 6 services (depending which) you are getting very close to a Cable bill, without any Live TV. I cant imagine this ESPN service would include most of their live events, as that is the last bastion of Ad revenue. Or it will be way over priced compared to the other services.

Who would ever subscribe to 6 at a time, though?

Between me and my girl, we pay for 2 (Netflix and Hulu) and we will occassionally cancel one and then go back.   If there is ever a movie or show that isnt on there, we either a) buy it at the store, b) buy it via PSN or some other service or c) rent the hard disks via Netflix.

I dont know who in their right mind would ever pay for more than 2 or 3 streaming services at a time unless all you ever did was stay home watching them.

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Very curious about the ESPN service. Live sports is a big thing stopping people from cord cutting. This could be a first step to that. 

You can get ESPN, NFL Network, Redzone, NBATV and other sports channels (like FS1 and the local Fox Sports) for $25 a month w/ Sling I believe. Then use an antenna to get NBC/CBS/Fox for NFL.

It will be interesting to see what the new and improved method will be within the next five to ten years since everybody's trying to capitalize on Netflix and Hulu's success.  Netflix killed the video store, so what's going to kill Netflix (and its peers)?

50 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It will be interesting to see what the new and improved method will be within the next five to ten years since everybody's trying to capitalize on Netflix and Hulu's success.  Netflix killed the video store, so what's going to kill Netflix (and its peers)?

Short of beaming TV straight into your head nothing is going to beat streaming stuff on the internet as of right now. Though 40 years ago home media was more or less nonexistent so within 40 years who knows what could happen to internet streaming. 

Just now, OleXmad said:

Short of beaming TV straight into your head nothing is going to beat streaming stuff on the internet as of right now. Though 40 years ago home media was more or less nonexistent so within 40 years who knows what could happen to internet streaming. 

That's the same type of attitude that killed Blockbuster.

Sound, or "Talkies" were a fad. 
Color was a fad.
Television was a fad.
Home video was a fad.
Netflix was a fad.

Not saying streaming will be a thing of the past, but the way we know it now will happen within the next five years.  Think of how big Netflix got just in delivering movies before they started their streaming service.  If I had to bet on it, I'd say the next big thing will be virtually every TV show and movie available at any time with a cheap rental.  Say 10 cents for older titles, a dollar for newer titles, all delivered the same way Netflix streaming is now.  But I'm probably wrong there. 

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Who would ever subscribe to 6 at a time, though?

Between me and my girl, we pay for 2 (Netflix and Hulu) and we will occassionally cancel one and then go back.   If there is ever a movie or show that isnt on there, we either a) buy it at the store, b) buy it via PSN or some other service or c) rent the hard disks via Netflix.

I dont know who in their right mind would ever pay for more than 2 or 3 streaming services at a time unless all you ever did was stay home watching them.

Do you only watch Netflix/Hulu? Or is that on top of your Cable bill? Because most who completely cord cut (legally) don't just use those 2. They have Sling or an equivalent as well. And probably another premium service  (HBO/SHO) so that's already almost $60  

Yea 6 is high right now. But it's not that crazy to think you could get up there, especially if sports goes that way. Because then you will all of the sudden likely have to do ESPN on its own, and then possibly each of the sports leagues you want to watch.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Do you only watch Netflix/Hulu? Or is that on top of your Cable bill? Because most who completely cord cut (legally) don't just use those 2. They have Sling or an equivalent as well. And probably another premium service  (HBO/SHO) so that's already almost $60  

Yea 6 is high right now. But it's not that crazy to think you could get up there, especially if sports goes that way. Because then you will all of the sudden likely have to do ESPN on its own, and then possibly each of the sports leagues you want to watch.

Honestly, 75% of what I personally watch these days is on Youtube.   I dont watch movies like I used to and there are only a few TV shows I follow any more.    We are getting rid of Netflix this month and she likes Hulu for a few shows so we are keeping that.

With football coming back on, I just watch it on the local stations we get for free or Ill watch it online or go to a friends place.     

Everyone has unique viewing habits.   I respect that. but for me, I cant see justify paying anything more than $50 a month for what I watch, and if I pay that much, it damn well better be things I want to watch.    Between Netflix and Hulu and paying for various movies and shows on PSN and Amazon video....plus splitting costs with her....I havent paid more than $20 month for entertainment.    And even before we moved in together, I wouldnt pay more than $40, and thats at the highest when new eps of Always Sunny are coming out.

Bottom line....unless people are watching ALOT of TV, I cant see how anyone pays the outrageous amounts that I know some people pay.     Buddy of mine pays $120 a month and all he ever watches is NFL Network and a few others (plus he is gone alot on work)....his wife watches reality shows and his daughter watches kid shows, many of which are on DVDs.       

You are in the vast minority for both the amount of TV/entertainment you consume and what you are paying. (how much you personally pay is irrelevant. It's per household, that's the only way you can quantify it) Mist people are watching their services on a daily basis and watching multiple shows (weather it be news, programming or sports). 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You are in the vast minority for both the amount of TV/entertainment you consume and what you are paying. (how much you personally pay is irrelevant. It's per household, that's the only way you can quantify it) Mist people are watching their services on a daily basis and watching multiple shows (weather it be news, programming or sports). 

Im well aware Im in the minority, but my point remains....I dont get why anyone would pay the amounts they do for cable and other streaming services.   Im certainly not knocking anyone for paying $10 a month for Netflix or Hulu, but my point is, why would you need more than that?    Watch the shows you want to on there and then switch to another streaming service?

In terms of news....you can get that anywhere.  

A diehard sports fan....one that is into pretty much every major sport....is the only one that I can somewhat understand.....but I still wouldnt pay that much.   And no, its not because Im cheap or broke.....I guess in my advancing age I just like to analyze the value of things.....and I will never see the value in paying for "high end" cable packages and/or several streaming services unless, as I said, someone is spending crazy amounts of time in front of the TV.   

Archived