Disney to leave Netflix; Create Streaming service for ESPN & Disney

Acgott

In the long run I think we're heading towards true a la carte programming, and the monthly subscriptions of these apps are going to fall.  You'll get a channel for $2-$5 a month and most people will only subscribe to 4-6 streaming "channels".  My family has Netflix and Hulu, and I doubt we pay for much more than that.  If Hulu loses much more, then we may just ditch it.  It's still pretty solid for my kids programming though.  We also have Amazon Prime, but we had that before they were much into streaming.

44 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

In the long run I think we're heading towards true a la carte programming, and the monthly subscriptions of these apps are going to fall.  You'll get a channel for $2-$5 a month and most people will only subscribe to 4-6 streaming "channels".  My family has Netflix and Hulu, and I doubt we pay for much more than that.  If Hulu loses much more, then we may just ditch it.  It's still pretty solid for my kids programming though.  We also have Amazon Prime, but we had that before they were much into streaming.

This is my expectation as well, subscriptions probably become the "channels" and streaming is the norm. My concern is with so many companies striking out on their own, how does that effect the consumer? If deals are struck with cable/dish companies to offer these streaming packages, will anything change? Will they just package it all and hike prices the same as today with traditional channels? 

2 minutes ago, coors said:

ESPNs own streaming service might be a smart play.

I am very curious about this. Streaming services are popular because people can watch things on their own time, at their own pace. However sports are typically watched live with very little replay value. Sports news is very time oriented. Why would anyone want to watch PTI from a week ago? I am very curious as to what this will entail. 

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Very curious about the ESPN service. Live sports is a big thing stopping people from cord cutting. This could be a first step to that. 

This combo hits a huge chunk of the demographic too. Children. Men who like sports. Wives / girlfriends who watch Disney movies. I could see this being popular.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:
9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Very curious about the ESPN service. Live sports is a big thing stopping people from cord cutting. This could be a first step to that. 

This combo hits a huge chunk of the demographic too. Children. Men who like sports. Wives / girlfriends who watch Disney movies. I could see this being popular.

Its my understanding that ESPN will be separate from the rest of the Disney brand. The fact that they are launching it before the other service too strikes me as curious. 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I am very curious about this. Streaming services are popular because people can watch things on their own time, at their own pace. However sports are typically watched live with very little replay value. Sports news is very time oriented. Why would anyone want to watch PTI from a week ago? I am very curious as to what this will entail. 

I think ESPN needs to go the route of creating themselves some original content. People aren't going to want to stream re-runs of Around the Horn. 

IMO, they need to come up with content along the lines of a Friday Night Lights (TV Show). That is what would get people to turn to an ESPN type of streaming service.

My $0.02.

6 minutes ago, coors said:

I think ESPN needs to go the route of creating themselves some original content. People aren't going to want to stream re-runs of Around the Horn. 

IMO, they need to come up with content along the lines of a Friday Night Lights (TV Show). That is what would get people to turn to an ESPN type of streaming service.

My $0.02.

They could try something like Hard Knocks, make more 30 for 30's and the like. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

They could try something like Hard Knocks, make more 30 for 30's and the like. 

A Hard Knocks style of behind the scenes at ESPN would be pretty interesting too. 

It's an interesting move and an interesting way of splitting it up. I don't think it makes a ton of sense, as people have said, eventually it's going to be more costly for people not to have cable. However, I think before that happens we'll start to see cable companies have to come up with a new business model and go with the a la carte method, or stations won't sign back with cable companies so that they can start to stream live stuff.

I do wonder where the tipping point is for too many streaming services and tipping point for cable companies?

ESPN just needs to make WatchESPN a stand alone service.  If they did that for $5/month they'd have 40+ million subscribers.  They could even start showing commercials during live sporting events they stream and make more revenue that way as well.  The only real hurdle would be limiting password sharing.  Maybe limit the number of NIC's the stream is accessible to reach.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The only real hurdle would be limiting password sharing.

Yeah, password sharing is always an issue, but with live sporting events/their programming, it could simply limit you to a single instance of it at a time, or require a one time key to use it on a second device that expires in 24 hours.

It's a mistake for Disney to do this.  Their stand-alones of Marvel series, movies, and ESPN probably isn't enough to warrant most people (including me) to purchase their streaming service.  I love their Marvel series', but it's not enough to get me to consider it.  I'll just pass on it and maybe purchase the seasons on Amazon if/when they show up.    

Just now, disaacs said:

It's a mistake for Disney to do this.  Their stand-alones of Marvel series, movies, and ESPN probably isn't enough to warrant most people (including me) to purchase their streaming service.  I love their Marvel series', but it's not enough to get me to consider it.  I'll just pass on it and maybe purchase the seasons on Amazon if/when they show up.    

Marvel isn't the only thing Disney has.  :lol:

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Marvel isn't the only thing Disney has.  :lol:

This, Disney has a sh**load of properties they can do on a streaming service. All of ABC's stuff, Disney Channel,Disney XD, Marvel stuff. Plus all their movies they've built up over the years.

Archived