Disney to leave Netflix; Create Streaming service for ESPN & Disney

Acgott

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

It's a mistake for Disney to do this.  Their stand-alones of Marvel series, movies, and ESPN probably isn't enough to warrant most people (including me) to purchase their streaming service.  I love their Marvel series', but it's not enough to get me to consider it.  I'll just pass on it and maybe purchase the seasons on Amazon if/when they show up.    

Star Wars. Don't forget Star Wars. 9_9

4 hours ago, OleXmad said:

This, Disney has a sh**load of properties they can do on a streaming service. All of ABC's stuff, Disney Channel,Disney XD, Marvel stuff. Plus all their movies they've built up over the years.

They could have done that on Hulu already, since they were part-founders

4 minutes ago, disaacs said:

They could have done that on Hulu already, since they were part-founders

They could've but I'd imagine they'd have to share the profits with the other founders of hulu and I doubt disney would want to do that with it's massive list of properties.

• 5 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, coors said:

I think ESPN needs to go the route of creating themselves some original content. People aren't going to want to stream re-runs of Around the Horn. 

IMO, they need to come up with content along the lines of a Friday Night Lights (TV Show). That is what would get people to turn to an ESPN type of streaming service.

My $0.02.

I'd rather watch decade old Around the Horn episodes than anything they've done the last few years.

1 minute ago, ohiogenius said:

Cord cutters?

Even cord cutters aren't going to pay 5$ for ESPN. People pay for maybe 2 streaming services max and 5$ for what amounts to just sports news and some documentaries isn't worth it. 

8 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Even cord cutters aren't going to pay 5$ for ESPN. People pay for maybe 2 streaming services max and 5$ for what amounts to just sports news and some documentaries isn't worth it. 

From their tweet

an array of live programming, live sports events ... by the thousands, and other programming like popular 30 for 30 series.

I've plunked down $149 for the season for the 2018 Australian Rules Football (AFL) season (and the half dozen AFL-related programs that are on every day.)  I've grown to love the game, and while I wouldn't mind finding "alternative" ways to watch the matches, most of the games are played when I'm sleeping.   

The only reason I watch ESPN nowadays is college football, college baseball, some MLB, and Monday Night Football.  Not sure if that's worth another $5 a month.  They should bundle all of the Disney family into one service, but I doubt they will.  Disney TV & Movies (isn't Mirimax owned by Disney?)/Fox Movies/Marvel Movies/ABC TV/ESPN.  That'd be worth $10-$12 a month.

59 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The only reason I watch ESPN nowadays is college football, college baseball, some MLB, and Monday Night Football.  Not sure if that's worth another $5 a month.  They should bundle all of the Disney family into one service, but I doubt they will.  Disney TV & Movies (isn't Mirimax owned by Disney?)/Fox Movies/Marvel Movies/ABC TV/ESPN.  That'd be worth $10-$12 a month.

MNF could be on the way out anyway, and I wonder how blackout rules will apply when it comes to MLB and this service

Archived