2018 NFL Draft Thread - Day 1

Heimdallr

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'll take the over. I see a minimum of 4 happening (NE, Buf, GB and Ari)

seattle is almost a lock to trade down from 18. they lost so many starters, have no cap space and don't have any second or third round picks.

i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they traded out of the first round altogether.

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Welp, Josh Allen is the target of this year’s draft day smear campaign. Whether it’s a team or an individual trying to ruin his draft stock, it’s pretty pathetic. At the same time he and is agent are idiots for not going through his social media and getting rid of things. 

None of what he said is acceptable and as an NFL franchise I would have some questions about those tweets. Youthful indiscretion isn’t an excuse for overtly racist tweets.

BTW I just read somewhere that Allen and his agents DID go through his social media accounts in January and deleted all of these things. Basically, people have been holding onto them for awhile. Doesn't make what he wrote okay, but just sharing more context to the story.

My grandparents, parents, and probably me as well are glad that Twitter didn't exist when we were young either.  But, hey, it doesn't seem to have affected our politics.  So why should it for something as frivolous as professional sports?

2 minutes ago, disaacs said:

My grandparents, parents, and probably me as well are glad that Twitter didn't exist when we were young either.  But, hey, it doesn't seem to have affected our politics.  So why should it for something as frivolous as professional sports?

Because today it does matter. For nearly every other profession someone enters.

Spending some of the last moments before the draft re-watching cutups of the offensive lineman we could draft. Mind you I only watched one game per player and I'm no scout:

Regarding Billy Price: I watched all of his Iowa '17 game; he was superb. Ohio State pulled him a ton, particularly for a center. I'm not sure we'll ask our guards to pull, but I really liked seeing it. Gave up practically no pressure in pass pro. He's strong and often pushes his man back in run blocking. Whiffs and has to do a 180 more often than you'd like. Won't get lazy when no defenders are in his zone; at the very least, he'll keep chopping his feet and keep his head on a swivel.

Regarding Will Hernandez: I watched all of his Oklahoma '17 game. Of course he's extremely strong; I didn't see him get pushed back once in pass pro. While he surely has done so often, I didn't really see him push defenders in the run game, but rather he kept them locked in their spot. UTEP liked pulling him from his LG position on playaction right rollouts. Sometimes got a little lazy when not engaged in a block as he stood idle and became a spectator. On one occasion, he peeled back to an edge rusher engaged with the LT and knocked his lights out.

Regarding Isaiah Wynn: I watched all of his NCG '17 game. I'm very surprised scouts want him to move to guard, even if he is "only" 6'3". His blocking against edge rushes was ELITE in this one game (mostly matched against Dashawn Hand, a 1st-2nd rounder from Alabama). He struggled against inside spin moves and other interior pressure. More so than the other three, he was lazy when not engaged in a block. I really like him as a tackle.

From just those three games, I'd prefer them in this order: Price, Wynn, Hernandez. Might watch Ragnow's film in a bit.

Josh Allen:  “If I could go back in time, I would never have done this in a heartbeat. At the time, I obviously didn’t know how harmful it was and now has become. I hope you know and others know I’m not the type of person I was at 14 and 15 that I tweeted so recklessly. I don’t want that to be the impression of who I am, because that is not me. I apologize for what I did.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/26/josh-allen-that-is-not-me-i-apologize-for-what-i-did/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Josh Allen:  “If I could go back in time, I would never have done this in a heartbeat. At the time, I obviously didn’t know how harmful it was and now has become. I hope you know and others know I’m not the type of person I was at 14 and 15 that I tweeted so recklessly. I don’t want that to be the impression of who I am, because that is not me. I apologize for what I did.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/26/josh-allen-that-is-not-me-i-apologize-for-what-i-did/

Unfortunately for him, apologizing will never be enough in the eyes of many. That's the culture we live in right now. He can tweet as he pleases, NFL teams will decide. Its awfully hard to hold something like that against a dumb teenager though.

Everyone have fun tonight and behave! I'll try to check in when I can, but I'm sitting at the office with a different beverage of choice than the majority of you.

Let's see if the new servers can hold up!

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'd hope they don't trade just to trade, but if it's a good offer I think it makes sense

I'd have to see the board but the Browns seem to consistently trade down and stockpile players that never amount to anything. I think they need blue chip talent, not volume. Ward, Chubb or Barkley would do a lot for them to go with QB at 1.

Archived