For Pride and Bragging Rights

big9erfan

With the 9th overall selection in the 2018 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select: Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Alabama. 

Ultimately, free safety is among the three most valuable and important positions in our defensive scheme and while the team respects the work Adrian Colbert put in last year, the opportunity to add a Pro Bowl and potential Hall of Fame player there proved too enticing to pass up. Minkah Fitzpatrick has very good speed for the position and has much better tackling skills than many single high safeties do. He displayed excellent ball skills and range at that position (and several others) his sophomore season at Alabama when he had six interceptions. He worked hard for the team and was willing to play wherever asked and we are comfortable slotting him in as our starting free safety (even though the player himself has stated that he believes that outside cornerback is his best position) because we believe that ultimately, with Minkah, playing football as well as possible is what he is about. He loves our sport and is among the few individuals as obsessed with winning, perfecting technique, and understanding schemes as Nick Saban is and as we are. As he integrates into the team, he can play any position in our secondary at a competent level. He will challenge his colleagues to play harder themselves and to hone their skill. He is, in short, the sort of young man we want to have working for us in our building. And even though there may have been positions of higher need on our team, there wasn't a player that we wanted to take more. He was the top player on our draft board. 

44 minutes ago, JIllg said:

With the 9th overall selection in the 2018 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select: Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Alabama. 

Ultimately, free safety is among the three most valuable and important positions in our defensive scheme and while the team respects the work Adrian Colbert put in last year, the opportunity to add a Pro Bowl and potential Hall of Fame player there proved too enticing to pass up. Minkah Fitzpatrick has very good speed for the position and has much better tackling skills than many single high safeties do. He displayed excellent ball skills and range at that position (and several others) his sophomore season at Alabama when he had six interceptions. He worked hard for the team and was willing to play wherever asked and we are comfortable slotting him in as our starting free safety (even though the player himself has stated that he believes that outside cornerback is his best position) because we believe that ultimately, with Minkah, playing football as well as possible is what he is about. He loves our sport and is among the few individuals as obsessed with winning, perfecting technique, and understanding schemes as Nick Saban is and as we are. As he integrates into the team, he can play any position in our secondary at a competent level. He will challenge his colleagues to play harder themselves and to hone their skill. He is, in short, the sort of young man we want to have working for us in our building. And even though there may have been positions of higher need on our team, there wasn't a player that we wanted to take more. He was the top player on our draft board. 

Not really for Fitzpatrick in the first, but great write-up. An extra like to keep you at ratio!

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Not really for Fitzpatrick in the first, but great write-up. An extra like to keep you at ratio!

Heck, I think we'd all like a trade down. The value is between 20 and 80 this year. And there are legitimate questions about Minkah. But, hey, thought this was about trying to be as John Lynch as possible. :) (Also, thanks for the like - it keeps me from killing anyone in the night for feeding me taters).

I'd bet my 3rd nut we trade down, so i'll say that. 

Who we pick first? Josh Sweat-Edge FSU - his clean medical reports are the least talked about story of the draft season. He's my #1 pass rusher. 

Can't wait for whatever happens, I'm not going to get anything accomplished at work today. 

8 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Who we pick first? Josh Sweat-Edge FSU - his clean medical reports are the least talked about story of the draft season. He's my #1 pass rusher. 

Can't wait for whatever happens, I'm not going to get anything accomplished at work today. 

Lawd have mercy if that is our pick lol. 

10 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Legit question - why is he your number one pass rusher? He wasn't that great in college at it, and his role was slightly different. He also has an atrocious first step and is slow off the snap.  Is this all projection based on the combine numbers? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lawd have mercy if that is our pick lol. 

In a trade down? Okay, i've been away a little while but I figure general consensus was Sweat was still a top 50 player. 

I'm not in love with Landry or Davenport, I dont think either of those two are better than Sweat when healthy. 

2 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

In a trade down? Okay, i've been away a little while but I figure general consensus was Sweat was still a top 50 player. 

I'm not in love with Landry or Davenport, I dont think either of those two are better than Sweat when healthy. 

I think Sweat is probably looking at the end of hte second, early third. That's where I've thought he was going to go at least. I suppose he could sneak up earlier, but I don't see a guy going in the first round. Too many cleaner prospects, including Landry, who's only been projected to go in the late teens - mid 20's (with some having him in the second round) 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think Sweat is probably looking at the end of hte second, early third. That's where I've thought he was going to go at least. I suppose he could sneak up earlier, but I don't see a guy going in the first round. Too many cleaner prospects, including Landry, who's only been projected to go in the late teens - mid 20's (with some having him in the second round) 

I have Landry as my first round guy and Okoronkwo as the second/third round as the LEOs that fit the scheme, had solid production against top competition, and above average measurables and personality characterics that I'd project to start. I'd take a flyer on Key if he nosedived to the second of our third round picks or further. That's kind of about it for guys that I think really are LEOs. Maybe Nwosu, but I think he's a touch more of a SAM. More fluid, better in space. 

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I have Landry as my first round guy and Okoronkwo as the second/third round as the LEOs that fit the scheme, had solid production against top competition, and above average measurables and personality characterics that I'd project to start. I'd take a flyer on Key if he nosedived to the second of our third round picks or further. That's kind of about it for guys that I think really are LEOs. Maybe Nwosu, but I think he's a touch more of a SAM. More fluid, better in space. 

Oh, and Lorenzo Carter I also see as more of a SAM, but again - a very fine line.

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I'd probably over reach for Sweat a little just because of the athletic profile, his role in the defense in college, and the hope that I can cure that first step. His athletic and physical profiles work for a Leo. The injuries are a legit concern. There are some later round guys that could profile okay there as well, but lack the upside. Sweat is a guy that has the upside to be a gifted pass rusher, I won't deny that, but definitely not clean enough for me to view as a first round guy. Trevon Young at the end of the draft could be intriguing. I know Jeff Holland has a lot of supporters, but his physical profile is certainly not ideal for a leo. The guy that I really would like though? Marcell Frazier. He has a bevy of pass rush moves already and is pretty sophisticated in that regard. He didn't get a combine invite, which shows a lack of interest, but I don't quite understand that. He had his pro day, and it was pretty positive - much faster than I think anyone though (4.6 40),  but his 3-cone was meh (7.14) which is a big drill for me. That probably keeps him down a little bit, but still, talking about late round guys, I really like him. Kemeko Turay and Duke Eijiofor are both guys I really like in those middle rounds (3) as well. 

Just now, Forge said:

Legit question - why is he your number one pass rusher? He wasn't that great in college at it, and his role was slightly different. He also has an atrocious first step and is slow off the snap.  Is this all projection based on the combine numbers? 

I watch college football and have pretty closely for a while. I always knew Sweat was an elite player but the medical side scared me - he had a real bad injury in his HS senior year, still played his freshman season and was dominant...coming off a torn ACL in his freshman season. I think negative medical rumors put off draft pundits and scared off a lot of people, there have been assumptions about him having awful knees for his entire college career. Some rightly so and he has admitted to having to play at 85%. But he still performed played more games than people realize, even though he's got what 14 career sacks, but how many pressures and hurries are there? I dont know the number but I know he made an impact in every game I watched. He's strong at the point of attack, he can anchor the edge against the run, he has a wide variety of pass rush skills, and he has every bit of athleticism you look for. Health is key for me, that's it. 

He's got risk forsure, but less risk than Davenport I know that. People wouldnt bat an eye to him. Heck look at Barrows article on him its strange but that the value of a guy who you are projecting can reach his potential. And Sweats potential is higher than any other pass rusher including Chubb. 

My biggest problem with Sweat is that he literally every play is the last guy to react to the snap. I dont think that is a easy thing to correct. Besides that his health is a scary thing. I think he is one of those guys that has a lot going for him but just doesn't get the results you expect when you see him play/see his combine. If i would take a chance on a injury risk i would much rather draft Kylie Fitss in the 4th or 5th than Sweat in the 2nd.

Archived