1st Round Draft Talk

KingTitan

30 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I guess I need to get used to a GM who doesn't overthink things, moves up or down with purpose and addresses needs with precision.

It may take some time for me...

It's a big difference. Someone that knows how to work the draft and not be used like we were used to...

Teams leaping us for Brandon Graham or Hakeem Nicks. 

I think we're putting a new spin on BPA and Need-based drafting as well.  (Ok, it's probably not new.)  If you have a gaping hole at LB and you have the highest rated LB going around 20, then move to get him.  On the contrary, when we had #1 overall and no need at QB, we traded back with STL, but had a need at RT.  So we then moved back up slightly to get the top RT.

It's different from sitting tight and taking BPA regardless of need.  It's more taking the need pick, but being sure to not over-reach or let another team snag him in front of you.  I like it.

I also have to say I love the way he broke his own tendencies. It's been documented the he normally takes people who visited the facility and he broke that streak and be kind of admitted to recognizing that. 

He is a true competent GM that has a skill in working the draft. I can appreciate that so much. 

When I saw Edmunds and James at 15, I started itching to trade up... think those 2 were my favorite overall prospects this year... didn't think we'd get within 10 picks of either of them.  Moving up from 25 to 15 woulda cost a ton, so I understand not pulling the trigger there... but had either of them dropped to 20, man, it would have gotten real interesting.

I've also seen that both the Pats and Steelers were looking at Evans... the Steelers were ready to make a move up for him knowing he wouldn't get past the Pats.  But we made the move... that's who they wanted and that's who they got.  I like it...

17 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

I think day 1 starter at least for 2 downs. Potentially Jayon could come in on 3rd downs?

17 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I think its more plausible that Woodyard and Compton are the base package LBs, while Evans and Jayon are the sub package LBS

Leading up to the draft, the more I saw of Evans the more I liked him.  I started the process thinking he was a 2nd rounder... and I think he moved to my 2nd favorite guy I thought had a shot at being there at 25 (Reid was the other, and is my favorite remaining). 

Anyway, I honestly think Evans has a shot of taking the Woodyard role/snaps as early as this year.  By that I mean, that I see him taking over that primary 3 down backer role... with Woodyard moving into the Williamson role, splitting snaps with Woodyard who comes in on passing downs.  Compton is just rotational... occassionally coming in on sub packages.  I could also see Evans sliding out to OLB on 3-3 N packages, leaving Brown as the cover ILB, and pairing Evans with Rak on the outside (Rak being better than Morgan as a cover backer) allowing us to blitz any of the 3 at any point, with the other 2 dropping into coverage (Compton could rotate as the 4 option on these 3-3 packages).

I'm calling over 1000 snaps for Evans with a good amount of sacks for an ILB... making him a serious DROY contender. 

16 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Man....Harold Landry gonna fall out the first round?

I said it a couple of times... I couldn't figure out if he was a top 12 guy or a 2nd round guy.  There were some serious effort questions that came up last year... and it wan't all on the injury.  I guess on the days I felt he was a 2nd round pick, I saw him as a guy who would sell out to get the sack no matter the cost.  When he gets the sack or the hurry/knowdown/etc, it's great, but how often is that... 4 times a game (64 per year)?  What about the rest of the plays?  Does he sell out and leave a lane wide open for Luck or Watson?  Does Fournette run right through him 30 times per game?  Can he drop back into coverage?... I think that's an important aspect of that 3-4 OLB role... we're not going to rush the same 5 guys every single play.  OLBs need to be able to drop into coverage when needed.  Anyway, those were my concerns with him at 25.  But I'd be ecstatic to take a gamble on him at 45 if he falls that far.  Prisco had him at 52 on his big board, so like I said before, he wasn't guaranteed to be a 1st rounder.

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

I think we're putting a new spin on BPA and Need-based drafting as well.  (Ok, it's probably not new.)  If you have a gaping hole at LB and you have the highest rated LB going around 20, then move to get him.  On the contrary, when we had #1 overall and no need at QB, we traded back with STL, but had a need at RT.  So we then moved back up slightly to get the top RT.

It's different from sitting tight and taking BPA regardless of need.  It's more taking the need pick, but being sure to not over-reach or let another team snag him in front of you.  I like it.

We were discussing it on another thread... that JRob has married need and value... and he won't reach or settle.  He's identified what he wants and made his move for him.  It's exciting and refreshing.  And it doesn't end in the 1st... he moved up to draft Taylor and Brown last year.  He also traded down various times in the 7th.  I love the philosophy on both... in the early/mid rounds, you target the guys you like, the ones you've had a chance to study more... typically steadier prospects, you take your shot at the guys you want.  And in the late rounds, with the prospects that carry more unknown value, and obviously are less sure... you gather and throw as many darts as you have, so there's better odds that you hit on a couple of guys.  It's just so smart and obvious business logic, that I'm surprised it's used at all in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I also have to say I love the way he broke his own tendencies. It's been documented the he normally takes people who visited the facility and he broke that streak and be kind of admitted to recognizing that. 

He is a true competent GM that has a skill in working the draft. I can appreciate that so much. 

Wonder if a report of a visit between them will be reported later... I know last year a few visits went unreported until after the draft.  This is more high profile, so harder to miss/hide... but maybe...

4 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Wonder if a report of a visit between them will be reported later... I know last year a few visits went unreported until after the draft.  This is more high profile, so harder to miss/hide... but maybe...

During the press conference last night Robinson confirmed Evans didn't visit.

11 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

During the press conference last night Robinson confirmed Evans didn't visit.

I know I said visit, but maybe a pro day work out or meeting that went unreported.  Could be a simple syntax thing? 

They probably didn't have any individual contact like that... shows the poker player side of JRob...

58 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I know I said visit, but maybe a pro day work out or meeting that went unreported.  Could be a simple syntax thing? 

They probably didn't have any individual contact like that... shows the poker player side of JRob...

If I remember correctly from the press conference they interviewed him at the combine, Vrabel worked him out at pro day, and they had a private film study meeting for 1-1.5 hours after his pro day. 

10 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Can’t wait to see Landry and Evans bring that youth and explosiveness to the front 7. Even at 41, I believe Landry can be the steal of the draft.

Speaking of Landry, just saw this on twitter.

Very nice company. Still blows my mind we left this draft with him and Evans.

Archived