Final 2018 NFL Mock Draft for the Green Bay Packers

Bob Fox

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Meh. You're way too defensive. I have a question. It's simple.

Why is it that he only posts articles and doesn't post anywhere else here? I think the answer is kind of obvious. He's not really looking to just contribute to FF. That's just a "side effect." He wants to promote his site and gain readers. Okay fine. But the fact you think it's out of line that this is pointed out is kind of silly. It's obvious. He's not gaining monetarily so I don't really care. But you are like half way trying to demonize people for having that thought all the while saying don't judge others, don't be so critical.

Here's the facts.

1. He's your buddy. You'll always defend him.

2. He's not here to be a regular poster and to discuss all the possible stuff out there. He just posts links and sometimes comments when someone has a take.

That's all there is to it. Not really anything else to say. Nobody is trying to get him arrested or banned or lynched. But the fact you pretend you don't understand why people might not like this is just silly. Then we do the whole, they shouldn't be mean! SHAME! SHAME! thing.

Honestly, I think he should have his open dedicated thread but that's not up to me

Okay, you aren't the Norm I've come to know and respect...or are you sober now?  :)  BTW...great post, well written, very well thought out.

I don't mean to rehash, but I just wanted to start my request and finally get back to the mock draft. 

Clearly the OP did a lot of work, and I respect him a lot for all of that work. I would just like him to take it one step further and do one of the follow.

1. Put the Mock in the post
  2. Put the Most important link to the subject at the top
  3. Or maybe the Most important link to the subject stand up, using a combo of things like size, bold underling, color, etc ... that way it's clear for someone that doesn't want to go through all the other information and get straight to business.

As for the Mock Draft 

~ I love Marcus Davenport's potential, but a bit concerned with how raw he is. Mike Mayock, suggested that he's going to need a scheme that's very simple and simple ask me to just pass rush, while he learns and catches up some. But if the Packers coaches/scouts feel comfortable with that, then I think he's upside could be very well worth the risk.

~ I kept wanting to mock the "other" Alabama CBs (Averett and especially Brown) because of their athletic numbers... but I kept coming back to their reviews, that while they were great at tackling, they weren't the best in coverage which always put me off, especially after watching the tape and seeing what the reviews were talking about. If their front wasn't as dominant, they might of be exposed more... and in the NFL they will be

~ I don't have a great reason for it, but I've just never like Dante Pettis that much. Just personal gut feeling, which could be completely wrong.

~ This late in the draft, I like Jamarco Jones, I think he fits what the Packers look for, more than other teams. He does not dominant his defenders, instead he just gets in their way and stays in their way, which the Packers like for their pass protection which is the main thing they seem to look for. 

~ I don't know Will Clapp well enough

~ Not a fan of Troy Fumagalli ... don't get me wrong... he does all the little things perfectly correct. I just don't think he has enough upside for what I'm looking for. Great player if he's on your team, I just don't like his value in the draft. 

~ I like WR Daurice Fountain, though it depends on where... at this spot in the draft I think he's worth the chance, but some scouting circles seem to have him going a bit higher than this and I wouldn't want to risk it then. 

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Meh. You're way too defensive. I have a question. It's simple.

Why is it that he only posts articles and doesn't post anywhere else here? I think the answer is kind of obvious. He's not really looking to just contribute to FF. That's just a "side effect." He wants to promote his site and gain readers. Okay fine. But the fact you think it's out of line that this is pointed out is kind of silly. It's obvious. He's not gaining monetarily so I don't really care. But you are like half way trying to demonize people for having that thought all the while saying don't judge others, don't be so critical.

Here's the facts.

1. He's your buddy. You'll always defend him.

2. He's not here to be a regular poster and to discuss all the possible stuff out there. He just posts links and sometimes comments when someone has a take.

That's all there is to it. Not really anything else to say. Nobody is trying to get him arrested or banned or lynched. But the fact you pretend you don't understand why people might not like this is just silly. Then we do the whole, they shouldn't be mean! SHAME! SHAME! thing.

Honestly, I think he should have his open dedicated thread but that's not up to me

Just saw this. Easy.

Why is it that he only posts articles and doesn't post anywhere else here? - who cares when and where he posts? What difference does that make?

He's your buddy. You'll always defend him. - I know him as well as I know you. We buddies Norm? We've never met and only corresponded when a hurricane threatened to take our houses into the sky and by reading his postings. He's a nice guy. Smart and a longtime Packer fan who cares about the team.

He's not here to be a regular poster and to discuss all the possible stuff out there. He just posts links and sometimes comments when someone has a take - Again, who cares and what difference does it make? I dont care about stuff that makes no difference at all. Life's full of real details worth sweating over. When and how somebody posts on a football message board isnt one of them.

So I guess when I add a link to an article on ESPN, NFL.com, or PackerNews or APC or any number of blogs or websites to a post I make - provided for your possible interest - you all are considering them monetized clickbait. Okay. Not a problem. Dont click on it.

Long time reader.  This seemed like a good topic to use my first post on.

Norm is spot on.  In the almost 20 years or so of reading forums of various topics, this type of posting, links to self promote a different site, has been against the rules at nearly every single one of them.  This is honestly the first forum I can think of that I've been on that seems to allow it.  This reminds me of the early days of Bleacher Report when any one could blog.  Forums were rampant with people self promoting their Bleacher Report blogs and not contributing at all to discussion (you know, the main purpose of a forum).  Not saying Bob is a nobody Bleacher Report blogger.  Clearly he is connected and puts a lot of really good thought and hard work into his blogs.  Just saying, there is a very good reason that this type of posting is prohibited nearly everywhere and is actually already in the rules for this very forum as Norm pointed out.

I've noticed Bob's linking in the past and wanted to say something.  Finally caved.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

So I guess when I add a link to an article on ESPN, NFL.com, or PackerNews or APC or any number of blogs or websites to a post I make - provided for your possible interest - you all are considering them monetized clickbait. Okay. Not a problem. Dont click on it.

This is a completely different situation.  You are not starting a thread and literally only posting a link to a different site.  If you drop links as part of a conversation, that's totally cool and very different than whats happening here.

If I just wanted links to Packers news, Id sign up for an RSS feed.  We're all here for discussion primarily not to find links to articles/blogs on other sites.

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Long time reader.  This seemed like a good topic to use my first post on.

Norm is spot on.  In the almost 20 years or so of reading forums of various topics, this type of posting, links to self promote a different site, has been against the rules at nearly every single one of them.  This is honestly the first forum I can think of that I've been on that seems to allow it.  This reminds me of the early days of Bleacher Report when any one could blog.  Forums were rampant with people self promoting their Bleacher Report blogs and not contributing at all to discussion (you know, the main purpose of a forum).  Not saying Bob is a nobody Bleacher Report blogger.  Clearly he is connected and puts a lot of really good thought and hard work into his blogs.  Just saying, there is a very good reason that this type of posting is prohibited nearly everywhere and is actually already in the rules for this very forum as Norm pointed out.

I've noticed Bob's linking in the past and wanted to say something.  Finally caved.

The Moderators and Webmaster signed off on this which is good enough for me. Again, I dont worry about stuff I dont need to worry about. I'm done with this loop.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Moderators and Webmaster signed off on this which is good enough for me. Again, I dont worry about stuff I dont need to worry about. I'm done with this loop.

If that's the case then there's not much to discuss here.  More power to Bob then.  Apologies, wasn't aware of that.

I do see why other posters would be annoyed though.  I guess I'd just echo Spartacus and say I wish he'd chime in a bit more.  Got a lot of good info.

We're going to drop this discussion.  Webby has signed off on Bob Fox's articles so long as they don't detract from FF.  At the end of the day, that's Webby's decision.  Not mine and not anyone else's on this poster.  The point of the article is to spur forum discussion.  If you have further questions, feel free to PM myself.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're going to drop this discussion.  Webby has signed off on Bob Fox's articles so long as they don't detract from FF.  At the end of the day, that's Webby's decision.  Not mine and not anyone else's on this poster.  The point of the article is to spur forum discussion.  If you have further questions, feel free to PM myself.

Yes, the point of the article is to spur forum discussion... and that's exactly what it has done. As we discuss (not the article) but the format of the post... it's lead to a new and very interesting discussion. Great job everyone! He has a right to post has he wants, and we have a right to post our displeasure in the format.

All I ask for is for the link to get to the title teased subject to be clear in the future, as it wasn't in this case. He teased an updated mock... and it was not clear (at least not to me) of which where the heck to go to get the link... which really upset me. I'm very willing to read his stuff... I'm just giving a helpful suggestion, if he wants more happy readers, he should get to the important link quicker. By giving good critical critiques, we're both, making footballsfuture.com a better site, as well as helping him get more to check out his site. It's a two for one, and probably the reason Webby signed off on it. But it doesn't help, if it's upsetting people, which is why we're giving good critical critiques. 

I had no problem, once I found it (thanks to NormSizedMidget) and cooled off from being upset. 

55 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just saw this. Easy.

Why is it that he only posts articles and doesn't post anywhere else here? - who cares when and where he posts? What difference does that make?

He's your buddy. You'll always defend him. - I know him as well as I know you. We buddies Norm? We've never met and only corresponded when a hurricane threatened to take our houses into the sky and by reading his postings. He's a nice guy. Smart and a longtime Packer fan who cares about the team.

He's not here to be a regular poster and to discuss all the possible stuff out there. He just posts links and sometimes comments when someone has a take - Again, who cares and what difference does it make? I dont care about stuff that makes no difference at all. Life's full of real details worth sweating over. When and how somebody posts on a football message board isnt one of them.

A. Well because it feels like he's only here to push his content. That's not really the point of message boards man. IDK why that's so complicated. You don't agree and that's fine man. But that's kind of a typical "rule" of boards that you aren't just here spamming your site.

B. We aren't buddies?  Ouch man haha

C. See A I guess?

D. It is a lot different when it's your own versus someone else's. Nothing much else to say. I said multiple times it's not monetized so you should probably check that again. No idea where anyone said it was click bait...

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Okay, you aren't the Norm I've come to know and respect...or are you sober now?  :)  BTW...great post, well written, very well thought out.

I am sober but I don't want to be 

48 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I do wish Bob would post more in the other topics he does seem genuinely knowledgeable so I would be interested to hear his opinions. 

I'm honestly more encouraging him to post than omg ban him or anything. He'd be a good poster for sure...

Archived