CK7's Draft Eve Mock

CaliforniaKid7

I usually try to put out 3 mocks a year over the course of the off season but just didn't have the time this year. Here is my one shot at it this year. This mock leans more towards what I would do with this draft. Enjoy.

*Players already selected: Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Chubb, Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, and Ward in some order/combo of teams.

With the "elite" talent gone, a slight trade back is right up our ally. It is tempting to just take James/Smith here but I see more value in moving back and picking up more 100 selections. It's tough to project trades but I see and hope for a trade back to the 15-25 range with a team looking for Lamar Jackson.

*New England Patriots trade 1.23, 2.43, and 2.63 to Oakland for 1.10 and select QB Lamar Jackson.

Oakland begins the draft with the following picks: 1.23, 2.41, 2.43, 2.63, 3.75, 4.110, 5.159, 5.173, 6.185, 6.212, 6.216, 6.217, 6.228.....that's 13 picks so count on some movement. 

1.23 Oakland Raiders: Jaire Alexander, CB Louisville

-After Ward there is a grouping of 3-4 CB's who are all right there to be the next guy off the board. I love the attitude Alexander brings to the field and he has experience playing different schemes and coverages which should help him transition a little smoother, should compete for slot duties form day one. 

2.41 Oakland Raiders: Maurice Hurst, DT Michigan

-A huge wildcard in this draft. Rumors of him falling far but I just don't buy it. A small slide would be great for us and allows us to pair Jelly with a disruptive DT and help our edge guys out.

2.43 Oakland Raiders: Anthony Miller, WR 

-My favorite WR in the draft. Silky smooth, not the biggest guy but he gets after the ball and uses his body to get open. 

2.63 Oakland Raiders: Brian O'neill, OT Pittsburgh

-Really not a fan of the OT class as a whole and definitely want no part of one early in this draft. I like the position going here as BO has incredible potential as a tackle but is just raw and his body is not ready yet. A year behind Penn and maybe filling in as a swing tackle or second OT/TE on run and loaded formation sets would set him up well to compete for either tackle spots come 2019.

3.75 Oakland Raiders: Lorenzo Carter, Edge Georgia

-I absolutely love watching this guy play. He was a little disappointing early in his career at Georgia but he was being moved around a lot and in my opinion he was at his best when he was allowed to play fast, aggressive, and downhill. I'd like to add some weight to him and turn him into an attacking edge to pair with Mack going forward.

4.110 Oakland Raiders: RJ McIntosh, DT Miami

-Still surprised he decided to come out as I believe with another year he could've been a much higher pick but our loss is his gain. A lengthy DL that is quick off the snap and very disruptive. Needs some time to develop but given that I think we have a great rotational piece of the DL going forward.

5.159 Oakland Raiders: Mark Walton, RB Miami

-Hope he lasts this long but the injury really hurt his stock. He's a very exciting back to watch and despite his smaller frame he really packs a punch and will put DB's on their back if they try and square up against him. 

**Oakland trades 6.185, 6.216, and 6.217 to Seattle for 5.168

5.168 Oakland Raiders: Skai Moore, LB South Carolina

-Injuries have really hurt Moore and he's not quite what he was early in his career when he was getting a decent amount of hype but he's an instinctual OLB with a good frame who hopefully can add some weight will keeping his explosiveness. An instant ST guy with potential to grow into more. 

5.173 Oakland Raiders: Michael Dickson, P Texas

-Pretty self explanatory, don't know much about punters pass just watching them but Dickson seems like as good as any and this draft class has a few of them, plug and play. 

**Oakland trades 6.212 and 7.228 to Washington for 6.205

6.205 Oakland Raiders: JC Jackson, CB Maryland

-Some off the field concerns with this guy and he is a very aggressive and grabby CB but I think that can be toned down and he has the potential to turn into a starting boundary cornerback in my mind. Love this pick and value. 

Always been a big proponent of acquiring picks and increasing our chances at what is essentially a crap shoot. This may be pushing it but without knowing much about how the Reggie/Gruden dynamic will work I think this draft turned out really well. Tried to address everyone need we had and picked up some instant impact players in Alexander, Miller, and Hurst with some good developmental projects at key positions in Carter, O'Neill, and Jackson. 

Let me know what you guys think! About the mock but the players as well, have any strong feelings one way or the other about anyone in this draft? Happy Draft Eve and Go Raiders!

Not a huge fan of the trade value chart but it is a fair trade via that. "franchise cornerstones" are very hard to find in the top 5 let alone number 10. Might just be me but IMO with the way the board is projected to fall we may not see a ton of difference from our pick to that of players taken in the mid-late first.

We'll find soon enough! It would be nice to have an elite talent like Ward/Fitz fall to us but I just don't know.

24 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Not a huge fan of the trade value chart but it is a fair trade via that. "franchise cornerstones" are very hard to find in the top 5 let alone number 10. Might just be me but IMO with the way the board is projected to fall we may not see a ton of difference from our pick to that of players taken in the mid-late first.

We'll find soon enough! It would be nice to have an elite talent like Ward/Fitz fall to us but I just don't know.

It's just you.... the way the board is predicted to fall, it's going to push a top 2-3 defensive player to 10. There is a massive drop off at 15 in talent. So trading past that point, most teams see the players equal to 2nd round talents. Trading to 23 and hoping Alexander falls (he won't) is misguided. at 23 you're getting day 2 talent for a day 1 price tag. Pass. 

There are only a handful of first round grades and Raiders hold one of the picks to get one of them currently.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

It's just you.... the way the board is predicted to fall, it's going to push a top 2-3 defensive player to 10. There is a massive drop off at 15 in talent. So trading past that point, most teams see the players equal to 2nd round talents. Trading to 23 and hoping Alexander falls (he won't) is misguided. at 23 you're getting day 2 talent for a day 1 price tag. Pass. 

There are only a handful of first round grades and Raiders hold one of the picks to get one of them currently.

We are lucky 4 qbs could go top 10. I honestly think 5 will, Lamar Jackson is going to sneak in there 

I actually really like your draft and the compensation we received from NE.  Alexander and Hurst (though I think both will be gone by those picks) would make a much larger impact than any one defensive player selected at 10.  We get our impact slot receiver (and Jordy replacement) and our OT of the future at a much more palatable price.  Only thing, I'd likely pick Crosby over O'niell  as I'd prefer the startle RT now than the future LT (though I totally get the rationale of tacking Penn's replacement).

Love the mid/late round picks.  A lot names that I've been playing around in my mocks (that I never got out in time).

All in all, I give it A.  I'd be stocked for this draft.  Great job.

Archived