NFL Draft Day thread (picks are game upon television announcement)

Forge

My  thoughts on every pick in the first round -

1. Cleveland Browns - Baker Mayfield, QB - A lot of people may not have liked this pick, but Mayfield was my #2 QB behind only Rosen who slid to being the fourth QB taken.  I liked Mayfield better than Darnold and as such, I liked this pick.

2. New York Giants - Saquon Barkley, RB - How much I will like this pick will largely depend on if the Giants take a QB round 2.  If they take a QB like Rudolph or Lauletta, I hate this pick and the Giants were better off taking Darnold and a RB later on.  If they take literally anyone else, I'm fine with this pick. If they go o-line and get someone like Daniels or Hernandez in round 2, I really like this pick.

3. New York Jets - Sam Darnold, QB - I'm not a Sam Darnold fan, but as I told the Jets fan at the pizzeria I frequent "anyone but Allen".  I can't help but think back to what happened the last time the Jets drafted a USC quarterback in the top five.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Darnold is a bust.  And yes, I would say that for literally anyone the Jets drafted..... because it would be the Jets drafting them. 

4. Cleveland Browns - Denzel Ward, CB - A bit of a reach, but the Browns were showing a LOT of interest in Ward pre-draft so it's not a surprise.  Aside from QB, cornerback was clearly the Browns' biggest need.  It's a shame they weren't able to trade down and get Ward, but he probably wouldn't have been there at #12. 

5. Denver Broncos - Bradley Chubb, Edge - I was really expecting a QB here.  I guess John Elway and his binoculars weren't sufficiently impressed with future hall of fame javelin thrower Josh Allen.  Jokes aside, having selected DeMarcus Walker round two last year and Bradley Chubb, I think the Broncos should strongly consider trading Shane Ray and switching to a 4-3 defense. 

6. Indianapolis Colts - Quentin Nelson, OL - With Chubb off the board, this was a no brainer.  With Barkley off the board, they probably would have taken Nelson at three.  Instead they fleeced the Jets for a trio of second rounders and can now really get to work rebuilding their team the right way.

7. Buffalo Bills - Josh Allen, QB - If there's one team I thought was a good fit for Josh Allen (and there was only one), it was the Buffalo Bills.  After seeing the wind knock the ball off course consistently for Tyrod Taylor and Blake Bortles late in the year in Buffalo, I knew this was a team that needed a QB who could put a ton of zip on the ball and that's Josh Allen. 

8. Chicago Bears - Roquan Smith, ILB - I was expecting them to draft an edge rusher here, but inside linebacker makes just as much sense.  I may not have predicted it, but it makes just as much sense as anything.

9. San Francisco 49ers - Mike McGlinchey, OT - The first surprise of the draft for me.  I really didn't think there was any way the 49ers were going to pass on a middle linebacker here, but they absolutely did.  I don't think this was as big of a reach as others did, but imo this draft is quite a bit deeper at OT (and specifically right tackle) than it is at ILB.   Not a terrible pick, but I'm not a particularly big fan of it.

10. Arizona Cardinals - Josh Rosen, QB - I had Rosen rated as my #1 QB in the draft.  I have to be at least a little worried about having as many injury prone QB's as the Cardinals do behind an offensive line as bad as theirs is. 

11. Miami Dolphins - Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS - Another team I thought was going to go linebacker or defensive line.  I don't think this is a great pick or a terrible pick, it just..... is.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Vita Vea, NT - This was the first shocker of the night for me.  The Buccaneers have focused seemingly all of their efforts to build up their defensive line through free agency.  So naturally having added four new defensive lineman, the expectation was they would shift focus to the secondary during the draft.  NNNNNNOPE.  I thought Minkah was a better fit for Tampa than Derwin James, who seemed to be everyone's frontrunner for Tampa pick, but James would not have surprised me.  Vita Vea?  Yeah if I had written a hundred mock drafts, I never would have projected Vita Vea to Tampa.  Their defensive line is going to be a terror.  I guess it has to be, they've got some good offensive lines in the NFC South right now.

13. Washington - Da'Ron Payne, DT - Here's another one I wasn't expecting.  I mean they just drafted Jonathan Allen last year.  Is Payne going to play nose tackle for them?  If not, who is?  Did they really need another 3-4 defensive end in as many years?  Don't have anything against Payne, but this was a bit of a head scratcher for me.

14. New Orleans Saints - Marcus Davenport, Edge - Last year I had the Saints as one of my top five favorite drafts.  Marshon Lattimore was a steal, Ryan Ramcyzk was decent enough value and Alvin Kamara was a huge steal in the third.  I didn't think for an instant that Kamara would make it past Indianapolis or Washington in the second last year, but some how he did.  That was then, this is now.  Trading a future first to move up for a project raw upside pass rusher?  Given their lack of a second round pick, it's almost a given that the Saints will be on my list of worst drafts if not headlining it. 

15. Oakland Raiders - Kolton Miller, LT - Bit of a reach, but they're clearing looking to maintain what was once a contender for best offensive line in the NFL.  Don't hate the position, but I think this was a small reach.  Kind of surprised they passed on Edmunds here. 

16. Buffalo Bills - Tremaine Edmunds, ILB - I very much liked this pick and I liked how little Buffalo had to give up to get him.  I'm not sure what they're going to do about their offensive line now though.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - Derwin James, S - Well they certainly made a fool out of me.  I guess the Chargers do indeed value safety after all.  They got a great value for a player who should fit their defense like a glove. 

18. Green Bay Packers - Jaire Alexander, CB - If there is one "I called it" pick in this year's draft (and again, there apparently is only one), it's Jaire Alexander to the Packers.  The days of drafting 6'2 210 lb cornerbacks is over.  Dom Capers is well and truly gone and I expect the Packers  defense to be significantly better for it.  They still are a bit weak at linebacker, but I think they're going to be a lot better than people expect. 

19. Dallas Cowboys - Leighton Vanden Esch, ILB - Well Jerry certainly fooled us all.  Free safety or wide receiver.  No way they draft anything else.  Listening to all of the talking heads talk about drafting all of the various wide receivers and then listening to Drew Pearson talk about drafting a wide receiver and they take....... a linebacker.  I was laughing my butt off. 

20.  Detroit Lions - Frank Ragnow, C - Bit a reach, but nothing too severe.  Can't really argue against it. 

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Billy Price, C - This one surprised me though.  I guess Billy Price's pectoral injury must really not be that bad.  At this point I was kind of surprised two centers had gone off the board and James Daniels wasn't one of them. 

22. Tennessee TItans - Rashaan Evans, ILB - They needed to do this.  There were four good inside linebackers in this year's draft and then as far as I could tell the talent level just fell off a cliff.  The Titans fans finally have that coverage linebacker they've been begging for years for.  I just have to say this one more time though.  Rashaan Evans was good, but David Njoku would have been better.  And now I can retire that joke. 

23. New England Patriots - Isaiah Wynn, LT - Isaiah Wynn getting selected here wasn't the surprising part.  Wynn getting listed as a left tackle was though.  If he had been in this year's draft, I wonder if the Patriots would have drafted Forrest Lamp here to play left tackle.  Also, why did they pass on Connor Williams? 

24. Carolina Panthers - D.J. Moore, WR - Well so much for Panthers legend Torrey Smith.  I was 100% expecting Josh Jackson to be the pick here.  The Panthers had added Torrey Smith, they added Jarius Wright, they signed Greg Olsen to an extension, they've addressed their offense.  Well, apparently they're addressing it again.  I've said for years Cam needs a deep threat speed receiver in order to excel.  I thought they had added that in Smith, which would allow the Panthers to add the Torrey Smith special to their repertoire. Apparently the Panthers disagreed.  What is to become of Curtis Samuel?  Sunk cost?  Try to trade him?  Special teamer?

25. Baltimore Ravens - Hayden Hurst, TE - I'm shocked they passed on Calvin Ridley here.  The alleged top receiver still available?  And he's from Alabama???  I have to assume Ozzie did not actually make this selection.  Someone else in the organization did. 

26. Seattle Seahawks - Rashaad Penny, RB - I've seen a lot of people talk about how surprising this pick was.  No, this pick was not surprising.  Not in the slightest.  The Seahawks draft to the beat of their own drum and their picks never make any kind of sense.  If they ever did, THAT would be shocking.  Pro tip for next year, if you're writing a mock draft and you're wondering who to give the Seahawks, write a bunch of names on post it notes and then put those notes on a dartboard.  Whichever name the dart lands on, that's who you give to the Seahawks.  It helps if the names are people you project to go in one to two rounds later. 

27. Atlanta Falcons - Calvin Ridley, WR - When this pick happened, I was in stunned silence.  I knew wide receiver was a need for the Falcons, but I thought they were going to get someone like Christian Kirk.  Calvin Ridley?  At #27?  To the Falcons?  Steve Sarkisian is going to have to work overtime to make this not one of top five offenses in the NFL.  Tampa and New Orleans better hope they can utilize their new found defensive linemen to get to Ryan early and often because you're not covering all of these guys for very long. 

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Terrell Edmunds, S - Man I really hope Ryan Shazier is able to invest the money he is slated to make this year.  There are high yield stocks he can put his money in that will allow him to live comfortably for the rest of his life without touching the principal.  I hope someone has told him that.  That aside, throughout this draft there have been picks that have been seen as reaches, but none that were tremendously so.  Until right here. Edmunds was looked at by most of us as a third round pick, late second at best depending if there was a run on safeties.  Instead, he goes to the Steelers in the first round and I'm here wondering what happened to all of the reports of the interest they allegedly had in Jesse Bates. 

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Taven Bryan, DT - Well this was something nobody would ever have predicted.  Just as shocking if not more shocking than Vita Vea to Tampa.  I have to think that Malik Jackson's days as a Jaguar are numbered through.  The Jaguars are way over the cap next year and Jackson's contract is one that can be moved on from. 

30. Minnesota Vikings - Mike Hughes, CB - Not surprised the Vikings took a cornerback.  I am a bit surprised Hughes went ahead of Josh Jackson, Isaiah Oliver and I guess Carlton Davis.  Trae Waynes may have been signed to a fifth year extension, but I don't think he is in the long term plans for the Vikings.  I wonder if they will try to trade Waynes. 

31. New England Patriots - Sony Michel, RB - Another team I'm surprised passed on the trio of cornerbacks I just mentioned.  I did not think the Patriots valued running backs highly enough to use a first round pick on one with as many other needs as they have.  I thought Christian Kirk also could have made a lot of sense here. 

32. Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson, QB - I wonder how Jackson will fit in Baltimore's offense.  I wonder if that fit will be for a new coach in two years.  I was not a fan of the idea of Jackson going in the top fifteen, but this seems to be the appropriate range for him.  I still like him as a QB prospect better than "anyone but" Josh Allen. 

8 minutes ago, Crickett said:

My  thoughts on every pick in the first round -

1. Cleveland Browns - Baker Mayfield, QB - A lot of people may not have liked this pick, but Mayfield was my #2 QB behind only Rosen who slid to being the fourth QB taken.  I liked Mayfield better than Darnold and as such, I liked this pick.

2. New York Giants - Saquon Barkley, RB - How much I will like this pick will largely depend on if the Giants take a QB round 2.  If they take a QB like Rudolph or Lauletta, I hate this pick and the Giants were better off taking Darnold and a RB later on.  If they take literally anyone else, I'm fine with this pick. If they go o-line and get someone like Daniels or Hernandez in round 2, I really like this pick.

3. New York Jets - Sam Darnold, QB - I'm not a Sam Darnold fan, but as I told the Jets fan at the pizzeria I frequent "anyone but Allen".  I can't help but think back to what happened the last time the Jets drafted a USC quarterback in the top five.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Darnold is a bust.  And yes, I would say that for literally anyone the Jets drafted..... because it would be the Jets drafting them. 

4. Cleveland Browns - Denzel Ward, CB - A bit of a reach, but the Browns were showing a LOT of interest in Ward pre-draft so it's not a surprise.  Aside from QB, cornerback was clearly the Browns' biggest need.  It's a shame they weren't able to trade down and get Ward, but he probably wouldn't have been there at #12. 

5. Denver Broncos - Bradley Chubb, Edge - I was really expecting a QB here.  I guess John Elway and his binoculars weren't sufficiently impressed with future hall of fame javelin thrower Josh Allen.  Jokes aside, having selected DeMarcus Walker round two last year and Bradley Chubb, I think the Broncos should strongly consider trading Shane Ray and switching to a 4-3 defense. 

6. Indianapolis Colts - Quentin Nelson, OL - With Chubb off the board, this was a no brainer.  With Barkley off the board, they probably would have taken Nelson at three.  Instead they fleeced the Jets for a trio of second rounders and can now really get to work rebuilding their team the right way.

7. Buffalo Bills - Josh Allen, QB - If there's one team I thought was a good fit for Josh Allen (and there was only one), it was the Buffalo Bills.  After seeing the wind knock the ball off course consistently for Tyrod Taylor and Blake Bortles late in the year in Buffalo, I knew this was a team that needed a QB who could put a ton of zip on the ball and that's Josh Allen. 

8. Chicago Bears - Roquan Smith, ILB - I was expecting them to draft an edge rusher here, but inside linebacker makes just as much sense.  I may not have predicted it, but it makes just as much sense as anything.

9. San Francisco 49ers - Mike McGlinchey, OT - The first surprise of the draft for me.  I really didn't think there was any way the 49ers were going to pass on a middle linebacker here, but they absolutely did.  I don't think this was as big of a reach as others did, but imo this draft is quite a bit deeper at OT (and specifically right tackle) than it is at ILB.   Not a terrible pick, but I'm not a particularly big fan of it.

10. Arizona Cardinals - Josh Rosen, QB - I had Rosen rated as my #1 QB in the draft.  I have to be at least a little worried about having as many injury prone QB's as the Cardinals do behind an offensive line as bad as theirs is. 

11. Miami Dolphins - Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS - Another team I thought was going to go linebacker or defensive line.  I don't think this is a great pick or a terrible pick, it just..... is.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Vita Vea, NT - This was the first shocker of the night for me.  The Buccaneers have focused seemingly all of their efforts to build up their defensive line through free agency.  So naturally having added four new defensive lineman, the expectation was they would shift focus to the secondary during the draft.  NNNNNNOPE.  I thought Minkah was a better fit for Tampa than Derwin James, who seemed to be everyone's frontrunner for Tampa pick, but James would not have surprised me.  Vita Vea?  Yeah if I had written a hundred mock drafts, I never would have projected Vita Vea to Tampa.  Their defensive line is going to be a terror.  I guess it has to be, they've got some good offensive lines in the NFC South right now.

13. Washington - Da'Ron Payne, DT - Here's another one I wasn't expecting.  I mean they just drafted Jonathan Allen last year.  Is Payne going to play nose tackle for them?  If not, who is?  Did they really need another 3-4 defensive end in as many years?  Don't have anything against Payne, but this was a bit of a head scratcher for me.

14. New Orleans Saints - Marcus Davenport, Edge - Last year I had the Saints as one of my top five favorite drafts.  Marshon Lattimore was a steal, Ryan Ramcyzk was decent enough value and Alvin Kamara was a huge steal in the third.  I didn't think for an instant that Kamara would make it past Indianapolis or Washington in the second last year, but some how he did.  That was then, this is now.  Trading a future first to move up for a project raw upside pass rusher?  Given their lack of a second round pick, it's almost a given that the Saints will be on my list of worst drafts if not headlining it. 

15. Oakland Raiders - Kolton Miller, LT - Bit of a reach, but they're clearing looking to maintain what was once a contender for best offensive line in the NFL.  Don't hate the position, but I think this was a small reach.  Kind of surprised they passed on Edmunds here. 

16. Buffalo Bills - Tremaine Edmunds, ILB - I very much liked this pick and I liked how little Buffalo had to give up to get him.  I'm not sure what they're going to do about their offensive line now though.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - Derwin James, S - Well they certainly made a fool out of me.  I guess the Chargers do indeed value safety after all.  They got a great value for a player who should fit their defense like a glove. 

18. Green Bay Packers - Jaire Alexander, CB - If there is one "I called it" pick in this year's draft (and again, there apparently is only one), it's Jaire Alexander to the Packers.  The days of drafting 6'2 210 lb cornerbacks is over.  Dom Capers is well and truly gone and I expect the Packers  defense to be significantly better for it.  They still are a bit weak at linebacker, but I think they're going to be a lot better than people expect. 

19. Dallas Cowboys - Leighton Vanden Esch, ILB - Well Jerry certainly fooled us all.  Free safety or wide receiver.  No way they draft anything else.  Listening to all of the talking heads talk about drafting all of the various wide receivers and then listening to Drew Pearson talk about drafting a wide receiver and they take....... a linebacker.  I was laughing my butt off. 

20.  Detroit Lions - Frank Ragnow, C - Bit a reach, but nothing too severe.  Can't really argue against it. 

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Billy Price, C - This one surprised me though.  I guess Billy Price's pectoral injury must really not be that bad.  At this point I was kind of surprised two centers had gone off the board and James Daniels wasn't one of them. 

22. Tennessee TItans - Rashaan Evans, ILB - They needed to do this.  There were four good inside linebackers in this year's draft and then as far as I could tell the talent level just fell off a cliff.  The Titans fans finally have that coverage linebacker they've been begging for years for.  I just have to say this one more time though.  Rashaan Evans was good, but David Njoku would have been better.  And now I can retire that joke. 

23. New England Patriots - Isaiah Wynn, LT - Isaiah Wynn getting selected here wasn't the surprising part.  Wynn getting listed as a left tackle was though.  If he had been in this year's draft, I wonder if the Patriots would have drafted Forrest Lamp here to play left tackle.  Also, why did they pass on Connor Williams? 

24. Carolina Panthers - D.J. Moore, WR - Well so much for Panthers legend Torrey Smith.  I was 100% expecting Josh Jackson to be the pick here.  The Panthers had added Torrey Smith, they added Jarius Wright, they signed Greg Olsen to an extension, they've addressed their offense.  Well, apparently they're addressing it again.  I've said for years Cam needs a deep threat speed receiver in order to excel.  I thought they had added that in Smith, which would allow the Panthers to add the Torrey Smith special to their repertoire. Apparently the Panthers disagreed.  What is to become of Curtis Samuel?  Sunk cost?  Try to trade him?  Special teamer?

25. Baltimore Ravens - Hayden Hurst, TE - I'm shocked they passed on Calvin Ridley here.  The alleged top receiver still available?  And he's from Alabama???  I have to assume Ozzie did not actually make this selection.  Someone else in the organization did. 

26. Seattle Seahawks - Rashaad Penny, RB - I've seen a lot of people talk about how surprising this pick was.  No, this pick was not surprising.  Not in the slightest.  The Seahawks draft to the beat of their own drum and their picks never make any kind of sense.  If they ever did, THAT would be shocking.  Pro tip for next year, if you're writing a mock draft and you're wondering who to give the Seahawks, write a bunch of names on post it notes and then put those notes on a dartboard.  Whichever name the dart lands on, that's who you give to the Seahawks.  It helps if the names are people you project to go in one to two rounds later. 

27. Atlanta Falcons - Calvin Ridley, WR - When this pick happened, I was in stunned silence.  I knew wide receiver was a need for the Falcons, but I thought they were going to get someone like Christian Kirk.  Calvin Ridley?  At #27?  To the Falcons?  Steve Sarkisian is going to have to work overtime to make this not one of top five offenses in the NFL.  Tampa and New Orleans better hope they can utilize their new found defensive linemen to get to Ryan early and often because you're not covering all of these guys for very long. 

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Terrell Edmunds, S - Man I really hope Ryan Shazier is able to invest the money he is slated to make this year.  There are high yield stocks he can put his money in that will allow him to live comfortably for the rest of his life without touching the principal.  I hope someone has told him that.  That aside, throughout this draft there have been picks that have been seen as reaches, but none that were tremendously so.  Until right here. Edmunds was looked at by most of us as a third round pick, late second at best depending if there was a run on safeties.  Instead, he goes to the Steelers in the first round and I'm here wondering what happened to all of the reports of the interest they allegedly had in Jesse Bates. 

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Taven Bryan, DT - Well this was something nobody would ever have predicted.  Just as shocking if not more shocking than Vita Vea to Tampa.  I have to think that Malik Jackson's days as a Jaguar are numbered through.  The Jaguars are way over the cap next year and Jackson's contract is one that can be moved on from. 

30. Minnesota Vikings - Mike Hughes, CB - Not surprised the Vikings took a cornerback.  I am a bit surprised Hughes went ahead of Josh Jackson, Isaiah Oliver and I guess Carlton Davis.  Trae Waynes may have been signed to a fifth year extension, but I don't think he is in the long term plans for the Vikings.  I wonder if they will try to trade Waynes. 

31. New England Patriots - Sony Michel, RB - Another team I'm surprised passed on the trio of cornerbacks I just mentioned.  I did not think the Patriots valued running backs highly enough to use a first round pick on one with as many other needs as they have.  I thought Christian Kirk also could have made a lot of sense here. 

32. Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson, QB - I wonder how Jackson will fit in Baltimore's offense.  I wonder if that fit will be for a new coach in two years.  I was not a fan of the idea of Jackson going in the top fifteen, but this seems to be the appropriate range for him.  I still like him as a QB prospect better than "anyone but" Josh Allen. 

I'd be surprised if Jackson is the one that we move on from. Dareus and/or Campbell I believe would be more likely. Malik is still at a decent age and had his best season last year. Campbell did as well, but he's getting up there. We're going to start seeing some regression at some point in the next couple years.

Archived