NFL Draft Day thread (picks are game upon television announcement)

Forge

Just now, Danger said:

I don't know how much control the NFL has over it exactly. It was awful 4-5 years ago, but they've started cracking down on it after backlash in the last few. In particular the NFLN usually is pretty good about it, ESPN still lets a couple slip each year it seeems.

They can fine teams for letting picks leak (although it would be tough to prove it) and then they can just not invite media outlets/people back the next year or just kick them out immediately if they report a leaked pick early.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

IIRC part of the problem is because there's a tape delay, no?   That way, people at the draft on Twitter are ahead of TV - or do I have that wrong?

I don't understand why they would need more than a 10 second delay, 15 at most. And at that point even if a person tweets the pick on Twitter, by the time they send it out Goodell is already announcing the pick and you would at most see it 5 seconds early.

I've never really watched/followed the draft and it sounds fun but I've seen people say that sometimes the picks are leaked like 2 picks ahead and it just ruins it, so I'm glad this thread is planning on not allowing spoilers.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Awesome work @Forge   Two Q's:

1.   Spoiler-free - can you clarify in OP when the pick can be posted as spoiler free?   There's a time delay on TV, right?   THAT is huge for new guys about understanding when a pick is a spoiler.   So many picks get posted before it goes on TV.  When is it fair game to post?  When they hear it on radio?  Or there in DAL?  Or does it wait until it's posted on TV?   Being exact helps here.  Lot of angry people otherwise lol.

2.  We can post predictions starting now, right?  I've got my first one lined up, just wanted to make sure it's fair game lol.

I have always viewed the tv announcement as line, since that's how most people take it in. As far as I'm concerned, once Goodell said it on tv, it's good. I don't think that they are doing the phone call portions any more. I understand that Danger disagrees and says until the next pick is made. This is something that I feel we do need to get more input on from the posters. Not everyone is going to be happy, of course, but I'm flying blind as to what people prefer. 

2. i have no problem with predictions. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I have always viewed the tv announcement as line, since that's how most people take it in. As far as I'm concerned, once Goodell said it on tv, it's good. I don't think that they are doing the phone call portions any more. I understand that Danger disagrees and says until the next pick is made. This is something that I feel we do need to get more input on from the posters. Not everyone is going to be happy, of course, but I'm flying blind as to what people prefer. 

One suggestion - in the OP, bold it, underline it, and put it at the top - NO POSTING OF PICKS UNTIL IT'S ANNOUNCED ON TV (NOT BEFORE, NOT TWITTER, NOTHING).  Maybe if you can, put in title (Don't Post Picks Until Announced on TV).

It wont' prevent some n00bs from making an honest mistake, but then it will at least limit it as best as possible.   Save on the drama/flaming.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

One suggestion - in the OP, bold it, underline it, and put it at the top - NO POSTING OF PICKS UNTIL IT'S ANNOUNCED ON TV (NOT BEFORE, NOT TWITTER, NOTHING).  Maybe if you can, put in title (Don't Post Picks Until Announced on TV).

It wont' prevent some n00bs from making an honest mistake, but then it will at least limit it as best as possible.   Save on the drama/flaming.

Done

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

One of the years, one of the networks was really delayed.  I want to say it was NFLN last year, but one of the years I remember having to flip the channel because the other one was too far behind on the selections.  That being said, we did pretty good with limiting spoilers.

Just curious cause I haven't seen a thread about this, how do you guys feel about some teams having parrots and stormtroopers and other stuff completely unrelated to the NFL announce picks on day 3? Is this something teams commonly do and I'm just now hearing about it?

I feel like it's a bit disrespectful to have your 6th round draft pick who has probably struggled his whole life for this and wasn't even sure if he would get picked have to hear the best news of his life come from a parrot instead of a former team great or his new coach or something, but maybe that's just me, I've been curious about what others think.

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

Just curious cause I haven't seen a thread about this, how do you guys feel about some teams having parrots and stormtroopers and other stuff completely unrelated to the NFL announce picks on day 3? Is this something teams commonly do and I'm just now hearing about it?

I feel like it's a bit disrespectful to have your 6th round draft pick who has probably struggled his whole life for this and wasn't even sure if he would get picked have to hear the best news of his life come from a parrot instead of a former team great or his new coach or something, but maybe that's just me, I've been curious about what others think.

I like when they have fans or former players do it. I have no problem with that. Apparently the 49ers are having C3PO and R2D2 announce a pick this year...to me, that's beyond idiotic. 

9 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I like when they have fans or former players do it. I have no problem with that. Apparently the 49ers are having C3PO and R2D2 announce a pick this year...to me, that's beyond idiotic. 

TBF, we've had idiots masquerading as NFL GM's making the picks for years too, so I have a hard time criticizing just being overt about this.   :D

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah I'm looking at a list on ESPN and a lot of teams are having some collaboration of former players, youth football or other youth programs, and fans announce picks which to me is great because all of those things are either honoring former players and allowing the new draft picks a cool story (I'd much rather Jonathan Ogden announce my pick than Goodell tbh) or they are including the fans or at least helping promote important youth programs.

The parrot thing in TB is just a really dumb joke and the 49ers situation is beyond ugly Imo. SF has no connection to star wars whatsoever, its 100% a tasteless marketing ploy. Might as well have Flo from progressive and the KFC guy do one.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

TBF, we've had idiots masquerading as NFL GM's making the picks for years too, so I have a hard time criticizing just being overt about this.   :D

That's true. How much would it cost for someone to get a monkey to come out and flip a coin before making the first pick for the browns?

42 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

It just occurred to me that the draft and Avengers drop tonight, wonder how many viewers that will take away from the NFL.

I'm at the 7 PM show with my girls, but I'll break the rules and have my phone on vibe and track it (I'll see Avengers again lol).

But yeah, moving up the premiere 1 week was painful for me.   We can safely say the Marvel Execs are in the 2 percent of Americans who don't consider themselves NFL fans.

Archived