DRAFT DAY- Round 1 Discussion

1ForTheThumb

Just now, AlNFL19 said:

Landry’s still on the board. 

Is Falk the QB of choice? :D 

is Rudolph? :| 

Hopefully neither.  Lauletta is better than both though.  But rather get the guy next yr.  Imo that class is deeper in talent.  Wouldn't mind Benkert as late round project.

18 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

please tell me that sony is a 3 down back who will get 20ish carries a game. i sincerely hope we didnt draft a 3rd down back in the first round when we have james white..

He's got good size, runs with a little power, he's decisive, has solid speed, good pass blocker, meh pass catcher, and has good burst. Has great vision too. He could be a guy whp has 20 carries/game, but when has NE ever had someone that did that? 

He's not the every down bruiser that Guice will be, but he's a decisive runner with good vision and good burst that NE likes. There's not a good pro comparison for him IMO. I'd expect White and Burkhead to still be the main pass catchers, while Michel will split with Burk+Hill/Gillislee. To start anyway. That'll change as the season goes, like it always does. 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

He's got good size, runs with a little power, he's decisive, has solid speed, good pass blocker, meh pass catcher, and has good burst. Has great vision too. He could be a guy whp has 20 carries/game, but when has NE ever had someone that did that? 

He's not the every down bruiser that Guice will be, but he's a decisive runner with good vision and good burst that NE likes. There's not a good pro comparison for him IMO.

Michel is a grinder more than a bruiser.  Moreno is a good comparison imo. 

Michel has legit vision.  The guy can read blocks really really well and adjust angles easily so he's deadly given space to work.  Love the pick. 

1 minute ago, bluemushrooms said:

Michel is a grinder more than a bruiser.  Moreno is a good comparison imo. 

Michel has legit vision.  The guy can read blocks really really well and adjust angles easily so he's deadly given space to work.  Love the pick. 

Agreed, although I think he's got more speed and better burst than Knowshon did. 

He's a great fit for the offense, given the way we use our running backs.

Kamara is probably the closest current day player closest in comparison but still a bit exaggerated.  I think the best comparison is David Wilson, who had a promising career with the Giants once. Michel can impact the game in all phases. It's great to see New England draft a skill player for once based on ability and skill set. And not the safe, reliable guy who doesn't make mistakes...

Knowshon Moreno, David Wilson, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, DeAngelo Williams are all comparisons I've seen. 

But anyone who watched him at Georgia realized he was the biggest impact maker on that offense. Hard to be displeased with this pick

2 hours ago, TomRalph said:

A LT under 6'3...

That doesn't sound like us at all...that or the Joe Thuney experiment is over...

Thuney is a backup, Wynn will flip around but I think be is an All Pro left guard. Better than Quenton Nelson. The difference between Pro Bowl (Nelson) and All Pro (Wynn).

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

Michel, the player and value at that pick is outstanding. I love it. I thought he was the best RB after Barkley....

I like Michel more than Barkley but Michel probably can't carry as much as Barkley.

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Couldn't be happier. 

The Lamar thing confirmed as a smokescreen as I expected.

Two really good SEC CS to help Brady out and replace guys who left.

Just need to grab some defensive depth in the 2nd and 3rd and we are set for the next 5ish years.

Jackson was such an obvious smokescreen. Not surprised he is in Baltimore. Joe Flacco blows. Good point about replacing Dion Lewis. If there is one back that could be explosive in some capacity to replace Lewis, is would be Michel. He's just explosive in a different way.

1 hour ago, AlNFL19 said:

Landry’s still on the board. 

Is Falk the QB of choice? :D 

is Rudolph? :| 

Rudy. 43. Unless Landry is on the board then ya know... hard to pass up. Unless Landry is dropping for a medical issue. Surprised he isn't a first round pick. Best pass rusher in the draft. Just not a run defender. Well, as a 3-down defensive end.

53 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I am a big fan of our 2 firsts so far. I doubt Michel will be an every game contributor this year but beyond Barkley, he's the most explosive player taken in the 1st round. I think Alvin Kamara is a decent enough comparison.

Good comparison in terms of explosive impact. I think Michel is an all time great back I just think his career could be short as that type of guy.

24 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Knowshon Moreno, David Wilson, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, DeAngelo Williams are all comparisons I've seen. 

But anyone who watched him at Georgia realized he was the biggest impact maker on that offense. Hard to be displeased with this pick

Yup. Glad to see you posting and engaged @Troy Brown. This draft has reinvigorated me and a lot of other NFL fans.

Michel  reminds me of LT, plant foot, cut, explosion. He gets to the 2nd level and it " Look out".   IMO,  He will be the most (home run) dangerous RB in his Pats history, if he stays healthy.

PS I said dangerous not best, also i was shocked that we took him. I just prayed we didn't take a QB because they all suck . Wait til next year.

I was pissed we didn't take Landry however I did see a game film on him and he IMO isn't a complete player. He is not as effective in the run game.  Do you take a guy and use him only as a rusher. I don't think BB would do that in the 1st. Also Mayock said he slide because he was flagged at the combine with a "injury flag" what ever that means.

Hard for me not to be excited with last nights outcome. I thought for sure they'd go defense at both picks, but in classic Belichick fashion he does the exact opposite of what I'd expect.

They Wynn pick didn't really surprise me. I know people are saying he's too short to play tackle; he's got the arm length of a 6'5 OL. Couldn't help but think about Belichick's comments earlier this off-season, when he spoke about the draft and drafting for need. He said something along the lines of he doesn't worry too much about specific needs; just tries to draft good football players. That's what Wynn is. I'd imagine they'll try him at guard with Scar's magic. If he doesn't work out at tackle, they'll kick him inside. He's versatile, and either 1) fills a big need at LT or 2) great Shaq Mason insurance; he's a FA next off-season.  Wynn played LT at Georgia and allowed five pressures all season in the SEC. That's crazy.

The Michel pick was a shocker, but one that I love. Classic Belichick...when the league begins to devalue RB's, he takes one in the first round. Michel is a great all around running back and has bell cow potential. You don't draft a RB in round one if you don't believe that. I loved having a super deep RB unit last year, excited for that to continue next season. Between Michel, White, and Burkhead...you can do so much.

Hope they go defense, defense, in round two. I could see them trading down at one spot to add some more picks. Hoping for Reid or Harrison at the Niners pick.

3 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

I like Michel but not in the 1st round. Hopefully his knees aren't as messed up as predraft reports made it seem.

Wondering if this means Gilli and/or Hill dont make the roster now. 

My thoughts as well. I don't buy the devaluation of backs. Seahawks took Rashaad Penny a few picks earlier and Giants took a back second overall. Michel without a serious medical concern is a first round talent easy. I also don't see Wynn bring a right guard replacement cor Shaw Mason but rather a very servicable left tackle or all pro caliber left guard over Joe Thuney.

33. Tyrell Crosby, CLE

34. Will Hernandez, NYG

35. Christian Kirk, CLE

36. Harold Landry, IND

37. Isaiah Oliver, IND

38. Derrius Guice, TB

39. Courtland Sutton, CHI

40. Josh Jackson, DEN

41. Dallas Goedert, OAK

42. Mark Andrews, MIA

43. Mason Rudolph, NE

44. Justin Reid, WAS