2018 Ravens Draft Weekend Thread

drd23

23 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

He does. Before he imploded at the senior bowl, my comparison for him was a poor man’s AJ Green. Smooth, great hands (on tape at least), long arms, quality vertical agility, wiry strong, and fearless as a guy that attacks the football in the air.

The problem is that at the senior bowl and the combine, he dropped a lot of balls. So at worst, he’s terrible, and at best he probably isn’t someone I’d want to rely on to make a clutch reception in a big game. Pressure seems to get to him. He’s got to prove that pressure assumption wrong now.

Those mits are huge, too.  10.5"

1 hour ago, BareYourTeeth said:

UDFAs to target:

Riley Ferguson, Memphis, QB

Ryan Nall, Oregon State, FB

Tony Adams, North Carolina State, OG

Desmond Harrison, West Georgia, OT

Deontay Burnett, Southern California, WR

Jalen Davis, Utah State, CB

Hercules Mataafa, Washington State, DE

Jeff Holland, Auburn, OLB

Tegray Scales, Indiana, ILB

J.C. Jackson, Maryland, CB

As much as I would like that, I feel like he's going to have better options.

We will have Smith, Carr, Young, Humphrey and Canady plus the kid from Bama.  Absent injury, that's going to be a tough roster to crack.

Some notes on the class-

Old:

Hayden Hurst- 24

Anthony Averrett- 23  'Cousin of Bryant Mckinnie

Bradley Bozeman- 23

Jaleel Scott- 23

Kenny Young- 23

Greg Senat- 23

Average:

Orlando Brown JR- Turns 22 in a week

Young:

Mark Andrews- 21

Jordan Lasley- 21

Lamar Jackson- 21 

Deshon Elliot- 21 (Turned 21 a week ago)

Unknown:

Zach Sieler- ?

This Ozzie farewell tour isn't going to be easy on us. The emotions in that building were no joke. Couldn't be more proud of Ozzie and this organization. It's weird how emotionally invested you can become with a team, it isn't the same as with family or loved ones but it's a connection none the less. Ozzie has been at the center of that connection since I've been a kid and experiencing this transition and passing of the torch is one of the more unique emotional landscapes I've navigated. It's just different and I'll value it throughout life. Ozzie has orchestrated a real life drama in a sense, and we've all lived through it. The characters he's given us, the highs, the lows, it's all been incredible. He's no longer going to be writing the story but no one will forget the legendary chapters or who started it. I wish him all the best in his new life with our great organization, and in his own life going forward.

Let's hope for some final magic. Joe Flacco turning back the clock in his final season and solidifying himself as one of sport's all time great anomalies, sending He and Ozzie out right on their final rides at the helm. It won't be easy, and we certainly won't be the favorites, but when has that ever been the case for us?

11 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

This Ozzie farewell tour isn't going to be easy on us. The emotions in that building were no joke. Couldn't be more proud of Ozzie and this organization. It's weird how emotionally invested you can become with a team, it isn't the same as with family or loved ones but it's a connection none the less. Ozzie has been at the center of that connection since I've been a kid and experiencing this transition and passing of the torch is one of the more unique emotional landscapes I've navigated. It's just different and I'll value it throughout life. Ozzie has orchestrated a real life drama in a sense, and we've all lived through it. The characters he's given us, the highs, the lows, it's all been incredible. He's no longer going to be writing the story but no one will forget the legendary chapters or who started it. I wish him all the best in his new life with our great organization, and in his own life going forward.

Let's hope for some final magic. Joe Flacco turning back the clock in his final season and solidifying himself as one of sport's all time great anomalies, sending He and Ozzie out right on their final rides at the helm. It won't be easy, and we certainly won't be the favorites, but when has that ever been the case for us?

Man, how sweet would it be to see Ozzie honored at a home playoff game in his last year?

I've never felt this good about a Ravens draft maybe ever. I wonder what running back Decosta was talking about that he got mad when he got picked before the Ravens. Looking through the picks, the only 2 running backs that were picked near their pick was kalen ballage picked right before us and Mark Walton who I liked was picked 4 or 5 picks before.

If I were to guess it would be Ballage.

2 hours ago, Ras said:

I've never felt this good about a Ravens draft maybe ever. I wonder what running back Decosta was talking about that he got mad when he got picked before the Ravens. Looking through the picks, the only 2 running backs that were picked near their pick was kalen ballage picked right before us and Mark Walton who I liked was picked 4 or 5 picks before.

If I were to guess it would be Ballage.

The reporter asked that question at our post draft conference in reference to skipping on the RB position in general in the draft. So DeCosta’s answer wasn’t simply referencing the 3rd day but the second day as well. IMO what DeCosta is describing is a back that was taken on the second day that they hoped might fall to them at pick #65. My reasoning for this is that DeCosta and everyone were obviously excited after day one. But after day two they all had the look of someone who just got their Cheerios urinated into by a cat.

In the press conference he seemed more calm than he did the day before, where he looked about as pissed as the Cowboys looked in their war room when the Eagles traded up and stole Dallas Goedert from them (and I’m well aware that they “say” they weren’t targeting him, but of course they would say that).

So running backs that went in the second round that seem like they would fit the Ravens that I can think of were: Derrius Guice and Nick Chubb. I’m thinking that the most obvious candidate that he’s referring to was Derrius Guice. He went at pick 59 and we were pick 65. Most of the teams were going defense and I bet he thought there was a great chance he might fall. Guice’s playing style while compared to Beastmode, reminded me of Ray Rice the first time I turned his tape on.

Guice also would be the type of guy that had he fallen to 65, you don’t trade the pick away for more value because he has obvious pro bowl potential as a RB. Beyond Guice, I personally had no other RBs graded on a higher tier than Alex Collins, Kenneth Dixon, and Buck Allen. So it makes sense that DeCosta was super upset about losing out on Guice. This was the strong RB class I’ve ever seen and it was thought that one of (Penny, Chubb, Guice, Michel) would fall to the third. Penny was the most likely candidate, but still. The fact that all of them went ahead of pick 65 was either unlucky or unfortunate.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Guice also would be the type of guy that had he fallen to 65, you don’t trade the pick away for more value because he has obvious pro bowl potential as a RB. Beyond Guice, I personally had no other RBs graded on a higher tier than Alex Collins, Kenneth Dixon, and Buck Allen. So it makes sense that DeCosta was super upset about losing out on Guice.

I think Eric was on edge in general because it was Ozzie's last draft and he wanted everything to go perfect. What would be more perfect than repeating what we did in 2008, ten years later? Drafting a QB of the future, and then a franchise running back. From Flacco and Rice to Jackson and Guice, it even rhymes if you purposely mispronounce Guice lol.

Yeah Guice would've been nice, hey that rhymes too, but it's cool we can just get Bryce Love next year. 

If they wanted Guice that bad they should've known to jump Washington.

There is something that is off to me about Guice's character too. There might be something there that we're glad we dodged.

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Yeah Guice would've been nice, hey that rhymes too, but it's cool we can just get Bryce Love next year. 

If they wanted Guice that bad they should've known to jump Washington.

There is something that is off to me about Guice's character too. There might be something there that we're glad we dodged.

Same here. I like him. The stuff with his sexual preferences doesn’t bother me, but what does bother me is that he reminded me of Dwayne Bowe when he mentioned something about a rap career that he was pursuing while doing a combine interview. He just sounded like a distracted person in need of some serious guidance, else 5 years later we’re liable to see something like this...

On the other note, Bryce Love. I’m absolutely on the bandwagon. I had him ranked very highly when I thought he was coming out this year. His running style and profile reminds me of Priest Holmes.

Archived