Packers Forum 2018 NFL Draft Discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

9 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

The draft is a lot easier to maneuver after the fact. However, changing our first round pick creates or could create a butterfly effect where the guys you mentioned later in on the draft are no longer there. Besides, Vander Esch was a reach where he went anyway imo. 

Very true, but it is fun to speculate (well, I enjoy it).

10 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Silverstein assuming James and Edmonds produce from day 1 and not Alexander, pretty adamant about it. Idk why I listen 

I mean, week 1 if the other team lines up in 11 personnel, who else plays in the slot?  Slot CB is a starter since 11 personnel is the most common offensive formation.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Could have got Parry Nickerson for nickel CB instead of Alexander, with a comp 5th (instead of punter Scott). Not quite Alexander, though.

Not quite Alexander? NOT QUITE ALEXANDER? 

On 4/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, deltarich87 said:

Isn't next year a good class for OT? With 2 1st rd picks, GB should be primed to be able to add somebody along the right side of the OL

From what I've heard, yes.  I think it depends on how Jason Spriggs does next year in particular.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:50 PM, Joe said:

So what was wrong with Marquis Haynes? Any EDGE that we would've drafted beyond Chubb was going to be a project player. I just think we could've taken someone earlier.

Nothing.  They're just not very good prospects.  He's a one-trick pony and I'm not sure he even does that very well.  He doesn't really have any power to his game, and he's going to be a liability in run defense.  At best, he's a situational pass rusher who only offers any semblance of production comes on obvious passing downs.  Can he eventually grow into that?  Possibly, but again production out of Day 3 pass rushers isn't good.  At the end of the day, it's either he or J'Mon Moore.

I mean, the data pretty clearly shows that of quality NFL pass rushers (quality being defined as something like "double digit sacks") there are more of those guys taken in the first round than in all the other rounds behind.  Once you get deep into day three your odds of getting a 53 worthy guy are higher at basically every other position than at edge.

Which is why I'm enthusiastic about double-dipping at edge in the top 100 next year.

11 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

between J'Mon's Mizzou stuff, MVS being high maintenance, EQS not doing STs.. wish we had jordy in the room for one more year. 

I trust Adams and Cobb. Plus I trust Philbin. The offense seemed to just get worse and worse after he left.

47 minutes ago, spilltray said:

To me the Mizzou stuff is not a worry, and st Brown can do what he's told or GTFO. "Doesn't play st" won't fly. I can't see "high maintenance" bring tolerated either.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. In the pros where would you want him on special teams? There's no place on our ST where he would be close to the guy you want on the field. He's just not a gunner or a returner at the NFL level. So why bother in college then? If he's investing in himself to become an NFL player, which he was, he has nothing to gain and everything to lose playing ST in college. 

17 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. In the pros where would you want him on special teams? There's no place on our ST where he would be close to the guy you want on the field. He's just not a gunner or a returner at the NFL level. So why bother in college then? If he's investing in himself to become an NFL player, which he was, he has nothing to gain and everything to lose playing ST in college. 

KO coverage (since not punt gunner or returner). I guess? I don't know the first damn thing about KO coverage in depth though.

Archived