Packers Forum 2018 NFL Draft Discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

"You have to think the Packers considered Alexander a prospect on the same level as Edmunds and James. Otherwise, all this trading around made no sense at all. If Edmunds or James ends up being a difference maker, and Alexander doesn’t, this was a mistake. Even though the Packers came out with New Orleans’ 2019 first-rounder, they more than anything need a playmaker on defense. They can’t afford to have passed on a good player for future draft capital, especially at the cost of a third-rounder this year to move back up from 27 to 18. I’m a little skeptical even though they got a late No. 1 in 2019. Is the Packers’ roster good enough to be pushing players into the 2019 draft at the expense of this year?

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/04/26/packers-trades-nfl-draft-future/555731002/

We've still a number of needs and now have no Round 3 selection. So either we're gonna package a whole bunch of those back end selections go get back to where the gettings good - or we're hoping alot of difference makers will exist on Day 3 - which I'm not sure has always been the case.

An extra #1 in 2019 is great - but - its with a pretty decent team (not a bottom feeder) and it took us out of claiming difference makers in this years draft.

Remaining selections:

Round 2 - 45

Round 4 - 101 + 133

Round 5 - 138 + 147 + 172 + 174

Round 6 - 207

Round 7 - 232 + 239 + 248

That pretty much sums it up for me. I am fine with Alexander though

20 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Have a feeling we’ll package a 4th and 5th rounder (maybe more) to move back into the late 3rd round.  There’s plenty of teams short on picks this year that would like to get more.

Better check a value chart. It's gonna take a lot of lower picks and a partner willing to fall for it

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

That pretty much sums it up for me. I am fine with Alexander though

Agree. I like the talent as well.

Would have preferred Edmunds (but thats a personal problem I'll get over eventually......) - I'm just concerned we dont currently have enough "high end" selections to nab actual difference makers - as opposed to backups / depth / practice squad guys - and IMO we need more than backups / depth / practice squad guys to get into a SB.

Listen - I'm the last person to talk to about the talented monsters that exist down the draft chart. I've no clue - so I'll just hope they exist and we select them.

Just now, Leader said:

Agree. I like the talent as well.

Would have preferred Edmunds (but thats a personal problem I'll get over eventually......) - I'm just concerned we dont currently have enough "high end" selections to nab actual difference makers - as opposed to backups / depth / practice squad guys - and IMO we need more than backups / depth / practice squad guys to get into a SB.

Listen - I'm the last person to talk to about the talented monsters that exist down the draft chart. I've no clue - so I'll just hope they exist and we select them.

I'm not even going to harp on blue chip vs impact vs whatever. I'm just talking starters. CM3, Cobb, HHCD, Wilkerson, House, Kendricks, possibly Tramon. If Gute can fill all these holes with a bucketload of 5th and 7th rounders, and pushing assets forward, all the more power to him

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

I'm not even going to harp on blue chip vs impact vs whatever. I'm just talking starters. CM3, Cobb, HHCD, Wilkerson, House, Kendricks, possibly Tramon. If Gute can fill all these holes with a bucketload of 5th and 7th rounders, and pushing assets forward, all the more power to him

Agree.....and listen - if Alexander was always the guy and Edmunds/James (or somebody else) didnt interest the team - fine - select him with #14.

I mean (again) the 2019 #1 is nice - but thats in 2019 - and we lost our #3 in order to get back to 18..................................................................................................

14 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

That seems really shortsighted.

We saw how this roster looked when Rodgers went down. Our talent level was exposed. TT played longsighted for how long and look where it got us. Just when I thought we had a guy that was aggressive enough to gather premium picks to replenish the roster, we are back hoarding 5th and 7th round picks as if they were gold. Get back to me on how you feel between pick 45 and pick 101. Yep 56 guys will come off the board and as of now, we will get 0 of them

Shut the **** up with that ****. Our backup QB was exposed but our roster is one of the best in the league. We swapped the face to appease the shortsighted crybabies but the same handful of guys are still making the decisions as it should be.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree.....and listen - if Alexander was always the guy and Edmunds/James (or somebody else) didnt interest the team - fine - select him with #14.

I mean (again) the 2019 #1 is nice - but thats in 2019 - and we lost our #3 in order to get back to 18..................................................................................................

We traded our 3rd for a future first, what's not to like? 

We have picks to trade back into the 3rd if we see a player worth the value. 

5 minutes ago, Burnett42 said:

We traded our 3rd for a future first, what's not to like? 

We have picks to trade back into the 3rd if we see a player worth the the value. 

Understood and not a point of arguement from me - so long as we can get back into the 3rd (or lower 2nd) to fill out our needs for this seasons roster.

I dont want to go from round 2 to round 4 with the number of roster spots we need to address - again - for the 2018 team. If we can do that - get back in the 3rd - the move was masterful. If we cant - it challenges us to fill our current roster holes with truly productive players.

Nothings set in stone yet - only one round down - but we've currently only got one round 2 selection - then go on vacation until round 4 - which could be problematic.

10 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Shut the **** up with that ****. Our backup QB was exposed but our roster is one of the best in the league. We swapped the face to appease the shortsighted crybabies but the same handful of guys are still making the decisions as it should be.

Whatever you say

Archived