2018 NFL DRAFT

Edge

9 hours ago, valkrei said:

just a weird draft right now, some out of the box picks in regards to hybrid players.  I had some drafts with OLB and 2 DL and with two OLB and 1 DL and to some extent we have both and maybe a safety.

The draft has been for players that are 3-4 only, or at least better in 3-4. The main issue is whether Speaks is a two gap DE or not. We don't have one. Chris Jones, Nacho and Allen Bailey are single gap players. That's fine in a nickel set, but not in a run set. For all his faults, anchoring the end is one thing Tyson Jackson could do. We have never had a true 3-4 NT.

Put it another way, this was about helping the run defense in the base set. 

J

The one thing that strikes me about NOT taking a DB is the new guy, Will Redmond. Last year he was part PS after losing an entire year to injury. The guy has very little field time but plus physical tools.  Do they think he is ready to contribute after a long recovery?

J

I wasn’t the only only calling it bleh, but I’ll take the bait.

Speaks is a good enough player.  He doesn’t fit in base right now though, too light to anchor at DL, he’s an OLB right now that is too stiff to help in coverage.

i have no issues with Nnadi, I liked Settle more, but I liked this pick

O’Daniel.  Fine football player, depends how we use him.  Did not see him as a 3rd Round guy

Its just not a value oriented draft, not saying it won’t turn out decent, just looks meh.

I'm late to the party, in part due to the time zone thing, in part because I'm really busy professionally.

I'm a bit irritated about some comments here. Initially run defense was the main issue everyone had. Now they adress it at different levels, and people are going nuts about not adressing DB or players not fitting the scheme.

I tried to plug them into the depth chart which is pretty hard as there are so many formations nowadays depending on game situation that I'm not sure one chart can do the trick.

Reid mentioned Speaks with a reference to Hali, so I consider they see him more as a OLB/EDGE than as a DE.
Nnadi is a NT, will compete with X. Williams for the starting spot.
O'Daniel may assume the job Sorensen was unable to fill last year as a S/LB hybrid in the box, setting Berry free to from the deep end.

It all does make sense if seen this way, covering issues people complained about bitterly throughout offseason.

Someone mentioned Will Redmond in an earlier post. I considered him a backup at minimum throughout that period if healthy, and may be even more.

For a more complete take check MY depth chart as of now. Didn't care about hte 53 player limit so far though.

10 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

I'm late to the party, in part due to the time zone thing, in part because I'm really busy professionally.

I'm a bit irritated about some comments here. Initially run defense was the main issue everyone had. Now they adress it at different levels, and people are going nuts about not adressing DB or players not fitting the scheme.

I tried to plug them into the depth chart which is pretty hard as there are so many formations nowadays depending on game situation that I'm not sure one chart can do the trick.

Reid mentioned Speaks with a reference to Hali, so I consider they see him more as a OLB/EDGE than as a DE.
Nnadi is a NT, will compete with X. Williams for the starting spot.
O'Daniel may assume the job Sorensen was unable to fill last year as a S/LB hybrid in the box, setting Berry free to from the deep end.

It all does make sense if seen this way, covering issues people complained about bitterly throughout offseason.

Someone mentioned Will Redmond in an earlier post. I considered him a backup at minimum throughout that period if healthy, and may be even more.

For a more complete take check MY depth chart as of now. Didn't care about hte 53 player limit so far though.

I think the hard thing in this draft is we traded up when we didn't need to and then took a player we did not feel was the biggest need. That is  NOT to say KC coaches don't know what they are doing, and yes this draft seems to fill some needs.  This draft seems a lil bit like a bust but if it works out your going to be like... Wow KC scouts are amazing and seem to know what other scouts don't.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

The draft has been for players that are 3-4 only, or at least better in 3-4. The main issue is whether Speaks is a two gap DE or not. We don't have one. Chris Jones, Nacho and Allen Bailey are single gap players. That's fine in a nickel set, but not in a run set. For all his faults, anchoring the end is one thing Tyson Jackson could do. We have never had a true 3-4 NT.

Put it another way, this was about helping the run defense in the base set. 

J

which I admit we couldnt stop the run at all last year it was pretty bad.

O'Daniel looks legit, Sorenson replacement at the Spur/SS. athletic with Good instincts. even played some slot corner. fits the mold in that new breed of dime backer. High Energy, 

Nnadi is a beast will be a good shaded NT in our scheme next to Jones. Great run defender.

Breeland Speaks...don't know enough. Apparently he's a Tamba replacement. Hand fighter, long arms, great motor and stamina, have heard the term "relentless" thrown around. Hard for him to keep on weight, 300 to 280 junior to senior year, i d say have him cut 10lbs get closer to Tamba size should help athleticism. Needs to get focused on one role, in college they used him everywhere.

all these guys can tackle, which is necessary because we don't teach how to tackle. I like all defense picks so far the front 7 needed the infusion of talent. 

I would like to target a corner with our next pick. Parry Nickerson is the best left on my board and 8th best corner overall in the draft. Averett as 9th overall (both mid 3rd rounders for me) and Stroman as 11th overall (late 3rd rounder) would be the other one's i'm ok taking. I have Hill as 13th overall ranked, due to the off the field stuff. Early 2nd round talent, but i rather would stay away from him, if any of the other 3 is available.

Archived