2018 NFL DRAFT

Edge

What do the day 2 picks tell us about where the FO thinks the team is?

Two front seven picks instead of two DB or one of each. 

This is not two DL, but Speaks definitely helps the DL depth. He could play either OLB or DE in a nickel rush package. Either way, he's on the line. 

Nnadi is a run stuffing NT. The departed Bennie Hill Logan was supposed to fill that role. 

At the end of the 3rd round they get LB Dorian o'Daniel. Great ST player and a coverage guy on 3rd down. With Ragland on short and regular yardage, we need a passing yardage guy.

Again, no OL or DB in the premium rounds. Instead, we trade up for pass rush, trade up for NT and take a coverage guy late. I guess they think Fuller/Murray/Nelson is better than they looked, or it was better to attack the pass defense by improving the run defense. No OL is not surprising, but a bit grtatifying.

J

18 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Was the pick with swapped with Cinci in the 2nd round trade up.

9 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Andrews went to the Ravens... we traded that pick 

we make our 3rd selection in 3 picks.

Just saw this. We get the #100 pick back from Cincinnati in the Speaks trade, giving up #78. Then we trade #86 and #122 to Baltimore for Nnadi, nothing else back.

J

Dorian O’Daniel LB Clemson for the last selection 

Breeland Speaks

Derrick Nnadi

Dorian O’Daniel

Clearly wanted to upgrade to front 7.  Can’t say I like where the players were taken, but can’t hate the philosophy 

5 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Just saw this. We get the #100 pick back from Cincinnati in the Speaks trade, giving up #78. Then we trade #86 and #122 to Baltimore for Nnadi, nothing else back.

J

No worries, some of the websites were slow to update.  Just letting everyone know.

11 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

There's our Hybrid LBer/Safety that Sutton's scheme is predicated on. If nothing else I think we really upgraded our run defense.

I can see that. He's very light for LB and very good in coverage.

Just checked his Combine numbers. OMG. 6.64 3-cone and 4.07 Shuttle.

If you believe in Waldo numbers, this guy's twitch is under 0.90. Anything under 1.1 is useful and under 1.0 is very good. He'll be a hell of a blitzer. 

J

I pulled this from the main draft forum day 2 thread. It's worth repeating. Samsel called the haul bleh. 

They may be wrong, but they had a plan. They drafted an inside pass rusher, a NT and a LB/S hybrid. The hybrid in particular was missing last year. Before his injury, Berry filled the role. After, it was just gone, and the whole defense suffered. Note below how the picks focus on 3-4 positions. Bumping a player up for scheme fit is a valid reason.

National Football Post comments:

46. Kansas City Chiefs: Breeland Speaks, DE. Ole Miss

One of few genuine base 3-4 end with impressive situational versatility. Can further beef up and set an edge, yes, but will be an active inside-outside presence for Kansas City. They reached a little to get their guy, but I really like this pick nonetheless.

75. Kansas City Chiefs: Derrick Nnadi, DT. Florida State

More mobile defensive line beef for the Chief Kingdom. He’s a pocket-pushing space-eater who anchors in the run game. One of the most underrated defenders in this class.

100. Kansas City Chiefs: Dorian O’Daniel, LB. Clemson

Hybrid safety/linebacker type who attacks the football on the ground or through the air. Very fluid when off-ball. O’Daniel suits the desired modern profile of the dime-linebacker.

J

I'll be honest, I know absolutely nothing about any of the players. Have followed the draft very, very little. I like the certainty of direction though. Clear targeting of front 7 guys who can fill multiple roles depending on the situation/time. And I think they each clearly target an underperformer from last year's D (Bailey, Logan, and Sorensen.) Would still like to see a CB. Even if we roll with the trio of Fuller/Nelson/Amerson, which I'm still mostly fine with, we have really no one behind that, so we need the depth at least.

Well it's been an interesting draft so far. I didn't expect to go into that direction, but i can understand it. We strengthen the front 7, draft more competition and fill roster spots with players who are really good in what they are doing. It' not like we drafted allround type of players. I doubt a Nnadi will be an effective pass rusher in the NFL. But he's great against the run. O'Daniel won't be a 3-down LB/S whatever type of player, but he is nasty and gets his shot in dime packages, which is definitely an improvement to Sorensen, since he just looked lost in that role. Speaks is ... well i don't know what he really is. An OLB, a DE? Something in between, he has some talent and on the longterm i think we will try to use him inside on passing downs and outside on run downs. I'm just worried what they plan to do with Kpassagnon, since that's the type of role, i expected him to play.

In general we should have improved our Defense against the run dramatically, which was absolutely necessary. We'll see if we can create enough pass rush with those players, but if let Houston rush the passer more than last season, i have high hopes, that we will be better just by that move.

That being said, i'm still worried about the secondary. I still think we need a safety. I still think we need one or better 2 corner. We have Fuller, Nelson, Amerson and that's it. It seems like we like on of our other corners. Will Redmond was the guy, i was really excited about, so we'll see if he can be a contributor if he stayas healthy. Maybe i'm just hoping that everything will be good, but i do think our front office is seeing something we don't see. That they know something about one or 2 corner on our roster, that we don't know, which might be the reason why we didn't address the need on corner, yet.

I'm keeping the fingers crossed, that that's the reason. :$

Archived