2018 NFL Draft Thread

Texansfan713

11 minutes ago, dsorc said:

Coutee is probably an eventual replacement for Ellington. Would he be used as a returner as well?

I have to think that's his first order of business - returns. Not like we have anyone worthwhile in that spot, and Coutee seems to have some magic in that department...

12 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I want to start booing because Coutee doesn't strike me as anything special... but I have been wrong before.

Also, WR does not strike me as a position that we HAD to address via draft as I think there will be tons of quality WRs available as UDFA (or the 7th round if need be).

Anyway... welcome to the Texans, Keke!

Immediately is our returner where we've sucked for years. Don't really have a slot guy either. Ellington is serviceable there and will be a good mentor for him. 

WR is pretty thin. I mean what can we count on after Hopkins? 

Not a home run pick, but for a 4th rounder I definitely see the value he can provide us. That is about what you want.

13 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Immediately is our returner where we've sucked for years. Don't really have a slot guy either. Ellington is serviceable there and will be a good mentor for him. 

WR is pretty thin. I mean what can we count on after Hopkins? 

Not a home run pick, but for a 4th rounder I definitely see the value he can provide us. That is about what you want.

Totally get that... and some of my thoughts as well.  But we have added this off-season: Sammie Coates & Montay Crockett.  Both of whom strike me as Keke-esque WRs.  

Now if it means we are moving Braxton Miller for a future pick or 4th or 5th rounder... I would like the move even better.

Just now, jch1911 said:

Now if it means we are moving Braxton Miller for a future pick or 4th or 5th rounder... I would like the move even better.

We'd be lucky to get a 7th in 2020 for Brax.

Good God it is so nice to have a guy who knows what he's doing in charge.  I LOVE the Coutee pick.  17 years into this franchise and we finally picked an actual slot receiver.  Braxton Miller was a ridiculous waste of space who caught 26 balls in college against garbage early season opponents and doesn't have the toughness, heart, or hands for the position and has been useless on special teams.  Strong was #3 who's only college success came on deep sideline routes and he couldn't contribute on special teams.  Mumphrey was somehow sold as a slot/special teamer except he played neither in college and didn't have anything close to the athleticism required to separate in the NFL.  Bonner was touted as a slot / returner except that he had 4.62 speed on a 165 lb frame and barely warranted a camp invite better yet burning a 6th rounder.  Keshawn Martin is the closest we've ever come to a drafting a true slot receiver except the fact that he couldn't catch a pass without a 5 yard halo around him and couldn't handle contact and he played equally scared as a returner. Posey was another classic Kubiak/Smith reach for yet another unproductive Big 10 receiver with the added bonus of character issues (no, it wasn't free tattoos it was organized crime), but who really needed TY Hilton anyway?  Trindon Holliday - remember when he was actually touted as a potential slot receiver despite catching all of 7 balls at LSU?  And lastly Jacoby Jones who while a good returner when he wasn't fumbling, but could only run one route (sideline deep) and serves as the single greatest example of how poor route running can sabatage a QB.

Add all that up and you have 8 WR's, NONE of which were actual productive inside receivers in college and were expected to somehow morph into something as pro's that they weren't in college.   Much like never grasping how a secondary requires different complementary skills to function as a unit, Rick just never understood what made a good slot receiver (quickness, toughness, hands) and never prioritized it, so we ended up with second rate backups who were never going to challenge for a starting job and aside from Jones were largely useless on special teams (Martin merely occupied space ineffective as a returner and receiver). 

So that gets us to Coutee who breaks the mold as an actual productive college inside receiver who's 93 catches for 1,429 yards and 10Td's LAST YEAR.  Guess what none of the Texans receivers outside of Strong that were drafted outside of the first never did in college - catch 70 passes or 900 yards in a season and Strong is as far from a special teamer / slot receiver as you can get. Oh yes, and he's actually returned a college kick for a touchdown something only Keshawn Martin had done amongst picks since 2010. 

Bruce Ellington was a solid find last year in the slot and shows what we can do with mere competence at the position, but again we're talking about a guy who never had 1/2 the production as Coutee in a season. Ellington has wheels and decent hands, but Coutee's YAC puts him in an entirely different class as a guy who can take the heat off Deshaun by opening up the offense to bubble screens as an actual weapon and threat that can slow down a pass rush. Looking forward to seeing Welker work with a Tech protege to integrate the 7 route we've never effectively used.  Maybe we can dust off the Cecil Shorts play that Braxton could never execute.

Can I also say, how nice it is to be freed from the highly limited Rick Smith zone of comfort when it comes to conferences and programs.  Say what you will about the Big 12, but is has been the best conference for offensive football for over a decade and aside from Foreman and Fuller last year was basically invisible to Rick Smith. The Pac 12 has been rife with talent as well but apparently those games were past Ricky's bed time as the only players he touched was the clearly flawed XSF and I guess he might have caught some Arizona games on trips to visit his wife's family.  Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Cal, and Utah have been hotbeds we've almost completely ignored.  Of course, I probably just jinxed us to nothing but Notre Dame, Bama, South Carolina/Clemson, and Ohio St/Mich St in the 6th, but it's nice to be cracking the top talent that starred at solid programs a bit down the recruiting ladder vs. Rick's obsession for blue blood pedigrees especially players who were afterthoughts on their own college teams (B. Miller (as Wr), Mumphrey, Martin, Posey, Blue, Hilliard).

6th/7th round wish list right now:

Holton Hill, CB, UT (character risk)

Chris Campbell, CB, PSU (6' 0" + 4.4 speed)

Duke Ejiofor, 3-4DE, Wake (graded as 2/3 but missed combine with labrum)

Deshaun Elliot, Box Safety/Special Teamer, UT

Toby Weathersby, RT, LSU

Parry Nickerson CB, Tulane

Tony Brown, CB/Gunner, Bama (character risk)

Logan Woodside QB, Toledo

Ryan Izzo, Blocking TE, FSU

David Wells, Blocking TE, SDSU

Jeff Hollard, Situational Pass Rusher, Auburn

Fyi - OT's Crosby and Jones, C/G Quessenberry, and CB Cruikshank were the only guys on my 6th round wishlist to go in the 5th.  Hate Shultz going to Cowboys last pick in 4th as I think he's a great fit (I also think my Baylor basketball stud Rico Gathers is going to be break out there). Value-time in the 6th and bet on upside.  No Treston Decoud's!

Archived