2018 NFL Draft Thread

Texansfan713

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We’ve had injuries at QB every season we’ve had BOB. And he doesn’t seem to care about a back up QB

If you mean he doesn't necessarily think that a 6th or 7th round QB is the answer immediately for backup then you'd be right and so would he. You can't pick one just to do it. I'd much rather a year to year revolving door of vets that can play that season then rely on a late round rookie. If you find one great, if not it's not a big deal.

And there is still UDFA. The players available there aren't really any worse than these late round picks.

59 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We’ve had injuries at QB every season we’ve had BOB. And he doesn’t seem to care about a back up QB

Matt Moore and Derek Anderson are still sitting out there on the geezer circuit, Matt Sanchez, and there's always the TJ Yates emergency glass.  There's going to be some other guys hit the market after the draft.  I can't imagine Bridgewater sitting around as a #3 for the Jets and/or Petty, Hackenburg are going to get cut loose. Hoyer could go if Belichick likes Etling enough.  RGIII could be back on the market as the Ravens rarely carry 3.  Josh Dobbs from the Steelers is porobably out of a job with Rudolph coming in and makes sense for us.  Packers have Hundley, Kizer, and Callahan behind Rodgers.  Gotta figure Glennon is gone in Arizona.  Personally, I'm not a fan of any of the guys that went today, so UDFA route is fine.

CRAPPP - just as I type this the one QB I really wanted just went to Cinn (Woodside).

40 minutes ago, mse326 said:

If you mean he doesn't necessarily think that a 6th or 7th round QB is the answer immediately for backup then you'd be right and so would he. You can't pick one just to do it. I'd much rather a year to year revolving door of vets that can play that season then rely on a late round rookie. If you find one great, if not it's not a big deal.

And there is still UDFA. The players available there aren't really any worse than these late round picks.

I wanted one in the 3rd

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

his quote make it seem like he probably wont even go after any in the UDFA market.

Honest question. Do you think any of the available guys are going to be good enough this year to help us if Watson goes down? If not then I don't think it's an imperative we bring one in. I wouldn't mind one, but it isn't the end of the world if we don't.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:30 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Question to everyone.  Are you giving Gaine a pass for this draft because of the situation Rick Smith gave him?  Or will this draft be judged by you regardless?

I wasn't planning on grading Gaine on this draft, but I'll give him a solid A. He didn't have much to work with, but he found a good combo of need, BPA and a few guys who can be refined into dependable players.

The three guys he got in the 3rd should be impact players early on, maybe even an immediate starter in there. Reid has some major potential with RAC developing him, and he could be viewed as a top tier player at FS in a few years. Rankins as well; This time last season, a few people figured him as a top 10 talent at T. While he's not THAT, he's a versatile lineman who - at worst - can plug into most of the spots on the OL if needed. I expect him to make a run at RT one day, but even if he doesn't, he has value.

Dig the Cutty pick, simply based on what his potential is in the return game - if he can develop into a 3/slot guy, it makes the pick even better. Seems like a more refined version of Tyler Ervin (which isn't a bad thing, BTW - Ervin was slowly developing into a serviceable slot WR before his knee injury).

Both LBs should provide some good depth and ST prowress, and Jordan Thomas is a lottery ticket - his size/speed/strength combo is drool worthy - so if he can be refined, you'll be looking at a diamond in 2-3 years. I like Jermaine Kelly's length, but he's gonna need a ton of work before he's even passable. 

All in all, Gaine is showing a feel for this that Rick Smith never had outside of the first round and the occasional priority UDFA. Hitting on first round picks is always a need, hitting on a few UDFAs makes you feel like you're smarter than the rest of the room, but teams win championships with picks in round 3-7. 

Now, let's see how it plays out - I could be saying #FireBrian this time in the next two years...

This draft tells us a few things. 

1. We don’t like Anderson and Griffin at TE

2. We are pretty comfortable with our offensive line. 

3. We believe Foreman will make a full recovery. 

4. Our secondary still scares us 

5. We don’t think Watson will have any long term effects. 

6. We realize depth on defense is an issue. 

7.  We learned from our mistakes about not having enough WRs

8. Gaines values adding depth more than adding star power 

2 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Uhhh... @EliteTexan80

Did anyone get any of our draft picks in Predict the Pick?

Also... LMAO... do i win by default? (I named Chachere who we ended up bringing in for a TRY OUT! LOL)

Think it's just PD, but I did land a UDFA - I'll tally up the votes when I'm done with the movie. :D

On 4/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, Longhorns90 said:

Alright, here's the first of two in the next four

Jordan Thomas, another TE

Interesting sidenote - in addition to WR, he's lined up at OT and DE during his college career. 

Bulk him up a bit, see if he can make it as a swing T?

Archived