Hitman Mock 5.0 This is it!

Steeler Hitman

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I agree @FourThreeMafia about Bates and Davis.  My question would be what they think of Allen.  If he is not playing outside then he has the length for FS.  He is not afraid of tackling.  He could push Davis now.  we just do not know what they think of Davis and Allen

And Colbert stated that Sutton would be staying at CB. He made no mention of Allen. Maybe that's what they're thinking. 

12 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Why in the world would people basically want to tell Bell, before the season even starts, that we have no intention of resigning him? 

This is a prove it year for Bell.  He needs to earn his next contract, so it doesn't matter.  

4 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

No offense to you @Steeler Hitman, but I don't know how anyone can get behind drafting RB early unless we trade Bell.   Why in the world would people basically want to tell Bell, before the season even starts, that we have no intention of resigning him?            

I think the team still wants to re-sign Bell. I don't think they have a problem paying $14 or $14.5 million a year. I hope the deal gets done. The only reason that I have no problem with drafting a RB after the first two rounds is the BPA theory and I have no problem with having someone to take reps from Bell. If they gave another RB just 3 carries a game, it saves 48 carries from bell's legs. History has shown that most backs can't take the pounding as they did after year five. I do believe Bell is exceptional, but having a Penny or Hines and Connor is appealing to me.

I've asked this question before and people have failed miserably at answering it.  The answer is always about having his replacement ready to go NEXT YEAR.   

I hope Bell is re-signed but I look at it as saving his career as well. I won't lose sleep if the don't draft a RB and I wouldn't be mad if they took one in the third after addressing defense with the first two picks. 

Beyond that, we are in win-now mode.    You don't draft the same way in win-now mode as you do regularly....you draft to WIN NOW....not fill future needs.  

I also think that you don't force a pick out of need in win now mode like we did Troy Edwards years ago.  If there are no defensive prospects that are in the range of your board and you have a solid player, then you have to strongly consider taking him. As much as I would complain, if Guice was the BPA  and there are no ILB's, OLB's, or safeties on the board, I would try to trade down, but no partner, I think you still take the BPA.

Again, I'm not knocking on anyone who feels differently, but if it comes to fruition, there is a good chance I will lose most of my faith in Tomlin/Colbert's ability to produce a SB caliber team.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this and we get our defensive stud.

He was arguably the worst safety in the entire league last year.

Drafting Bates isn't necessarily giving up on him, but moreso pushing him to be better, and if he isnt....oh well.

If they drafted Bates and Davis turned it around....then you have another good safety.     Nothing wrong with that.   Safeties are very very hard to find. 

Was not impressed with Frazier or Watson. Would've liked to see Frazier more to make a more complete determination but wouldn't got 5th on him in any case. Was not impressed with Watson's game speed. Has good size that was his attribute but didn't dominate by any means or relative to thinking that he would make a dent at the pro level , especially vs other options that would likely be available. 

I have Ostman rated decently but not a fan for us.

Just now, JustPlainNasty said:

Was not impressed with Frazier or Watson. Would've liked to see Frazier more to make a more complete determination but wouldn't got 5th on him in any case. Was not impressed with Watson's game speed. Has good size that was his attribute but didn't dominate by any means or relative to thinking that he would make a dent at the pro level , especially vs other options that would likely be available. 

I have Ostman rated decently but not a fan for us.

I respect what you are saying Nasty.  I think Frazier can be a run stuffer and occasionally collapse the pocket on an early passing down as Big Snack did.As I stated earlier with Watson and Ostman, I see them as football players and not guys who have impressive measurables, level of competition, and all that other stuff.  AB was drafted as a kick returner, who worked his tail off to become the best WR in the league.  I see the same type of work ethic with Ostman and Watson.  I am not predicting they become the best at their position, but they can have success in our system and on our team.

Truthfully, I didn't Ju Ju based on his style of play and speed, but he took his game to the next level.  Ostman can play the run and I honestly believe with NFL coaching he will be a better than average pass rusher. It is just my gut.

Archived