My board for 4.6 and 4.13 is:

Tyrell Crosby

Shaq Griffin

Deasean Hamilton

Ian Thomas

Kyle Lauletta

Desmond Harrison

JC Jackson

I'll bet Lauletta goes to NE with the 5th pick of the 4th round, right before us. Just seems like a Pats player move

38 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

My board for 4.6 and 4.13 is:

Tyrell Crosby

Shaq Griffin

Deasean Hamilton

Ian Thomas

Kyle Lauletta

Desmond Harrison

JC Jackson

DT and Sanders are likely both gone after 2019 at latest (and 1 is almost certainly a goner after 2018 unless Sutton falls flat on his face), and C-Henderson is no lock, so I see the love to double up on WR again.  And I get going after a different skill-type, with a slot/route-running guy.   

I'm surprised you have Hamilton this high.  Although I've read the sleeper whispers, but I think he'd still be a Round 5-UDFA target, no?    Taking him would also be a real warning sign to C-Henderson, as I think our best hope with him is in the slot (other than being a gadget guy).  Going after Hamilton this early would be an admission we don't think Henderson can contribute much this year.  

Everyone else, I'm on board too, nice board.  I'd add Jewell - he's definitely getting recognition for being so advanced and instinctive, which plays up in a huge way for ILB.

27 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I'll bet Lauletta goes to NE with the 5th pick of the 4th round, right before us. Just seems like a Pats player move

The Pats really helped themselves with Wynn/Michel in Rd1, but as a DEN fan loved that they didn't address D.   I think Dawson was a solid pick for them, but man I think they missed a huge opp by letting Isiaih Oliver walk (I freaked out when I saw someone post that they got him, that's why I reposted that in error with AAA lol).   If we passed on Oliver at 2.40, I'm glad he'll be in the NFC for the next 4+ years, and not wearing NE colors.   That would have been salt to the wound.

Lauletta would be nice value, but if there's one thing I've learned, BB rarely follows CW.   Going to be a fun start, especially with only 5 mins per pick now.

Yeah, it’s a little high for him, and admittedly by drafting him in the 4th you run the risk of suffering from the Winner’s Curse, but he’s got all of the intangibles I want in a player. Every time I hear him talk I see a young Rod Smith.

i really like Josey, I just think he’ll be there in the 5th. Slow instinctive Mikes are historically underdrafted 

25 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yeah, it’s a little high for him, and admittedly by drafting him in the 4th you run the risk of suffering from the Winner’s Curse, but he’s got all of the intangibles I want in a player. Every time I hear him talk I see a young Rod Smith.

i really like Josey, I just think he’ll be there in the 5th. Slow instinctive Mikes are historically underdrafted 

Yeah, I might be suffering from FF Draft Forum bias on Jewell - Jewell is getting a TON of love there, everyone is calling his name now.   Plus, after seeing Infinity Wars Thursday night, I'm still wrecked sleep-wise with the draft running late and talking movie stuff and draft.   Good planning on my part to have the wife on vacation and pre-teen/teen kids who don't mind, lol.

I would be surprised if we went Hamilton - because he really is a slot-only guy.  That would be an outright admission Carlos Henderson cannot help us.   Even though I worry he's going to be a flat-out bust, given he was redshirted, we have to give him at least 2018 to see if he can right the ship.   Another reason to hate that pick if it busts out - lost opportunity cost this year.

I think if Denver goes WR, it's going to be someone like Deon Cain/Jaleel White/Daurice Fountain/Keke Coutee. Those are the type of guys you gotta go after at this juncture.

Honestly, Ian Thomas or Jaylen Samuels in R4 would be excellent too. Samuels is going to have a nice career. Hell, even Nyheim Hines would make me happy, but I doubt he comes here.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think if Denver goes WR, it's going to be someone like Deon Cain/Jaleel White/Daurice Fountain/Keke Coutee. Those are the type of guys you gotta go after at this juncture.

Honestly, Ian Thomas or Jaylen Samuels in R4 would be excellent too. Samuels is going to have a nice career. Hell, even Nyheim Hines would make me happy, but I doubt he comes here.

Continuing on the theme of having to give C-Henderson 1 more year, I do agree if we go WR, it's an outside guy.   Or a TE.   It sucks, but even if C-Henderson busts completely, we have to at least give him 2018 to show what he can do.   Redshirting him didn't give a shot to see if he would develop.  Given that injury wasn't a season-ender on its own (6-8 week recovery time, happened in early August, so yeah....not even close), though, it's really worrisome how raw he must have been for Elway & co. to have put him on IR-no return.   Sushi-level.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Continuing on the theme of having to give C-Henderson 1 more year, I do agree if we go WR, it's an outside guy.   Or a TE.   It sucks, but even if C-Henderson busts completely, we have to at least give him 2018 to show what he can do.   Redshirting him didn't give a shot to see if he would develop.  Given that injury wasn't a season-ender on its own (6-8 week recovery time, happened in early August, so yeah....not even close), though, it's really worrisome how raw he must have been for Elway & co. to have put him on IR-no return.   Sushi-level.

Dunno if you saw my post yesterday, but one thing that I think is interesting about the Sutton pick is that it doesn't force Henderson to be an instant WR3 right away. Instead, it allows us to use him to his strengths, which is basically getting him the ball in space and letting him go. I'm actually more comfortable with Henderson in that kind of role than him trying to contribute by running even 80% of a route tree because I don't think that's where he excels. Use the right route concepts and get him in some space because he's undeniably special when he has the ball.

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Should have picked Crosby at 99 and went CB at 106. Oh well.

Something has to be up with Crosby's medicals. It's the only thing I can think is wrong. I don't think taking Yiadom was a bad move. Carolina picks 101, they need CBs even after taking Donte Jackson. If we liked Yiadom (especially after coaching him) I'm not going to question that move. Joe Woods saw the guy up close and clearly he flashed skills we liked.

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Dunno if you saw my post yesterday, but one thing that I think is interesting about the Sutton pick is that it doesn't force Henderson to be an instant WR3 right away. Instead, it allows us to use him to his strengths, which is basically getting him the ball in space and letting him go. I'm actually more comfortable with Henderson in that kind of role than him trying to contribute by running even 80% of a route tree because I don't think that's where he excels. Use the right route concepts and get him in some space because he's undeniably special when he has the ball.

Yeah, I agreed with your take, just so many open windows to respond lol.   We had to get WR, so we can let Henderson develop instead of having to play a full route tree.  That would be a disaster.    Even though I would have gone CB/TE 2.40, the point was to get a WR who could help right away at 3.71 (Gallup being that guy).  But either way, the point that getting a WR early enough so Henderson wasn't our WR3 was spot-on.

The thing is though, long-term, Henderson's best chance for long-term success is in the slot.    If we pick a slot-only guy this year, we are basically wasting resources on 2 guys whose future role are the same position, and not really suited to play any other position.  I argued against Isiah McKenzie (EDIT: not Henderson, still tired lol)  until I turned blue not because I knew he'd fail - but because Elway was duplicating guys who do the exact same things with Henderson & McKenzie last year.  And that turned out to be sadly correct by August, why Henderson got "IR'd" with an injury that didn't even need PUP.    So taking a slot-only WR this year is no-go for the same reason (although Hamilton and Henderson aren't the same skill type, they have the same exact 1 and only role <slot> they can hopefully win long-term).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I agree we had to get WR, so we can let Henderson develop instead of having to play a full route tree.  That would be a disaster.   The thing is though, long-term, Henderson's best chance for long-term success is in the slot.    If we pick a slot-only guy this year, we are basically wasting resources on 2 guys whose future role are the same position, and not really suited to play any other position.  I argued against Henderson until I turned blue not because I knew he'd fail - but because Elway was duplicating guys who do the exact same things.    Taking a slot-only WR this year is no-go for the same reason (although Hamilton and Henderson aren't the same type, they have the same exact 1 role they can hopefully win long-term).

I think Henderson's long term career arc is closer to a Tyreek Hill type of player more than a slot corner. I think Henderson is more or less a guy you run certain plays for knowing his strengths, but he's not on the field every play. I argued last year he wasn't worth an R3, but I do think that's how the team would prefer to use him all things equal. 

This is where the NFL is going to a certain degree, and a reason I'd like to see us take Jaylen Samuels. Having players that are chess pieces on either side of the ball are great ideas. We now have that with Cravens. We could add someone like Samuels who I think comps relatively favorably to a hybrid Burkhead/Delanie Walker type of player.

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Something has to be up with Crosby's medicals. It's the only thing I can think is wrong. I don't think taking Yiadom was a bad move. Carolina picks 101, they need CBs even after taking Donte Jackson. If we liked Yiadom (especially after coaching him) I'm not going to question that move. Joe Woods saw the guy up close and clearly he flashed skills we liked.

Crosby's being projected as RT only.  A lot of the guys who went Rd3 still have LT potential.  I think that's driving this.   I do agree he will go early.  Hopefully 4.106 lol (or Harrison).

4 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think Henderson's long term career arc is closer to a Tyreek Hill type of player more than a slot corner. I think Henderson is more or less a guy you run certain plays for knowing his strengths, but he's not on the field every play. I argued last year he wasn't worth an R3, but I do think that's how the team would prefer to use him all things equal. 

This is where the NFL is going to a certain degree, and a reason I'd like to see us take Jaylen Samuels. Having players that are chess pieces on either side of the ball are great ideas. We now have that with Cravens. We could add someone like Samuels who I think comps relatively favorably to a hybrid Burkhead/Delanie Walker type of player.

Yeah, if Henderson's future is just a gadget guy...damn, wasted Rd3 pick.  Henderson is fast - but Tyreke Hill is olympic-level fast.   Terrible reach if that's our long-term goal.  Spend a 3.70's pick on a Godwin or Golladay, Elway.  Oh well, maybe he's learning, this draft so far is nothing like last year in player-types.  

Agree on Samuels, I actually think he might be better to target than Thomas, with Butt, we may want a more versatile guy than straight TE).  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Crosby's being projected as RT only.  A lot of the guys who went Rd3 still have LT potential.  I think that's driving this.   I do agree he will go early.  Hopefully 4.106 lol (or Harrison).

JaMarco Jones is another guy that I believe we visited with who feels like a projectable pick. The thing about Crosby is that he has OG/OT capability so if he fails at one, he may succeed at the other. I imagine that goes into consideration given the versatility we've tried to preach with OL picks.

Archived