Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

23 minutes ago, Counselor said:

The only redeeming quality I could find in David Williams is he is a pretty good pass protector. 

Can he put on 70 lbs of good weight and play OL?   Then I love it.  

I think Lindsay has a clearer path to helping us in 2019.   If we had taken him I’d be totally OK with that.  Now let’s face it Rd6 it’s all crapshoot.   So it’s not a biggie by itself.  Just don’t like taking guys with no ceiling and who don’t occupy a niche we need.   I don’t even know if Williams can help much on ST.  Trading back to take him as the extra value with Jones over a Crosby / Settle in Rd5, don’t see the value.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Can he put on 70 lbs of good weight and play OL?   Then I love it.  

I think Lindsay has a clearer path to helping us in 2019.   If we had taken him I’d be totally OK with that.  Now let’s face it Rd6 it’s all crapshoot.   So it’s not a biggie by itself.  Just don’t like taking guys with no ceiling and who don’t occupy a niche we need.   I don’t even know if Williams can help much on ST. 

If he is a Kubiak RB maybe he sees something in him. 

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Definitely want Lindsay to make the team. He does provide us something different than our other backs.

I hope he does make it because I want to silk screen a picture of him and his fro on a self made Denver Broncos' tee

People may have said about the same thing about  T.Davis back in the mid '90's when he was drafted in the sixth round.  "who is this Davis guy? Why did they waste a pick on him". At least give the guy a chance!

On 4/29/2018 at 12:24 PM, Counselor said:

Williams has a third of the career carries Royce has.

I don’t know the context, but are you saying this as a bad thing?  Many, even NFL personnel see that as a plus.  Less carries=less wear and tear.  It also doesn’t take 500 carries to understand and have instincts to run the ball.

The later rounds of the draft are used to get your top UDFAs.  I don’t have faith that Williams pans out, but Denver thought enough of him to use a draft pick rather than hoping he went undrafted.

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I don’t know the context, but are you saying this as a bad thing?  Many, even NFL personnel see that as a plus.  Less carries=less wear and tear.  It also doesn’t take 500 carries to understand and have instincts to run the ball.

The later rounds of the draft are used to get your top UDFAs.  I don’t have faith that Williams pans out, but Denver thought enough of him to use a draft pick rather than hoping he went undrafted.

I'm just happy to see elway valuing the position. They got a 3rd round rb, a 6th, and an undrafted guy. 

I think thats all john and gary understanding the value of great rbs.

12 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm just happy to see elway valuing the position. They got a 3rd round rb, a 6th, and an undrafted guy. 

I think thats all john and gary understanding the value of great rbs.

I mean, I wouldn't say any of these guys are "great' RBs. I think that's a bridge too far, honestly. That said, it's clear Elway realized what he had wasn't working.

19 hours ago, germ-x said:

I was just pointing it out

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don't think Elway ever didn't value the position. 3rd round pick, 2nd round pick, 4th round pick, 3rd round pick. That's pretty solid investment in 8 years of drafting. He's just picked crappy ones. 

Ronnie Hillman trade up for 3.67 2012 & Montee Ball 2nd round 2013 was definitely the low point of RB selections for DEN in a while.   *Shudder*

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Ronnie Hillman trade up for 3.67 2012 & Montee Ball 2nd round 2013 was definitely the low point of RB selections for DEN in a while.   *Shudder*

That is easy to say in hindsight but Montee Ball was an excellent prospect coming out of college. And MANY posters here were stoked about Ronnie coming out of college. 

1 hour ago, Zukhyubern said:

That is easy to say in hindsight but Montee Ball was an excellent prospect coming out of college. And MANY posters here were stoked about Ronnie coming out of college. 

Yeah, most were okay with both.  There were clear questions with both as well, though.

I personally loved the Ball pick.  Also thought he had some terrific runs in brief work as a rookie, he showed enough to think he could be the lead back for awhile in Denver.  No way us or even the Broncos could have known he was an alcoholic, though.  Reportedly after his first year in Denver you could smell booze on him almost 24/7.  He wasn’t talented enough to still be productive even while operating as a drunk.  He was a guy that would constantly need to put in the work to make it in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Zukhyubern said:

I wasn’t around on the FF then but I hated the Ball signing from the moment it was announced.   He just had no special traits.   To be clear I wanted both Lacy and Christine Michael ahead of Ball.   So it wasn’t like I’m saying it all in hindsight especially with C-Mike lol (no one would rightfully openly admit to that now...but back then, he was the hot sleeper).   I still remember Elway specifically addressing passing on Lacy the next day and getting that sinking feeling (feeling the need to address passing on 1 guy was ominous - we don't hear that kind of talk too much in late Rd2).   

Let’s face it after 2011’s draft and bringing Peyton in Elway looked like he could do no wrong to many.   It took a while before his Day 2 blind spot became apparent.   And as discussed extensively, 2013 was around the time his approach changed to draft like we were 1 player away.   Which was very justifiable short-term.   But came at a  long term cost.   Once the 2011-12 draft classes couldn’t be kept cheap and the value FA’s like Pot Roast / Sanders / Stewart plugged key holes cheaply the butcher’s bill came due. 

TBH 2012 was a bad O draft class depth-wise all the way around especially if it was on the non-QB skill positions    It was more the compound effect to whiff 2x in a row with early picks on that position, which was still seen as a premium priority, and trading up to whiff to boot that killed us.   Elway hitting on Wolfe and trading back to do so (not that the extra picks yielded anything but the approach was excellent) and of course Malik Jackson Rd 5 & Trevathan Rd 6 crushed it on D so we extended the window to 2015 until all 3 needed to get paid or walk.  

Archived