Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I wasn’t around on the FF then but I hated the Ball signing from the moment it was announced.   He just had no special traits.   To be clear I wanted both Lacy and Christine Michael ahead of Ball.   So it wasn’t like I’m saying it all in hindsight especially with C-Mike lol (no one would rightfully openly admit to that now...but back then, he was the hot sleeper).   I still remember Elway specifically addressing passing on Lacy the next day and getting that sinking feeling (feeling the need to address passing on 1 guy was ominous - we don't hear that kind of talk too much in late Rd2).   

Let’s face it after 2011’s draft and bringing Peyton in Elway looked like he could do no wrong to many.   It took a while before his Day 2 blind spot became apparent.   And as discussed extensively, 2013 was around the time his approach changed to draft like we were 1 player away.   Which was very justifiable short-term.   But came at a  long term cost.   Once the 2011-12 draft classes couldn’t be kept cheap and the value FA’s like Pot Roast / Sanders / Stewart plugged key holes cheaply the butcher’s bill came due. 

TBH 2012 was a bad O draft class depth-wise all the way around especially if it was on the non-QB skill positions    It was more the compound effect to whiff 2x in a row with early picks on that position, which was still seen as a premium priority, and trading up to whiff to boot that killed us.   Elway hitting on Wolfe and trading back to do so (not that the extra picks yielded anything but the approach was excellent) and of course Malik Jackson Rd 5 & Trevathan Rd 6 crushed it on D so we extended the window to 2015 until all 3 needed to get paid or walk.  

John elway doesn't draft Bama players though so that's very interesting. Im amazed he takes them completely off his board. 

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

MarsLineman from In Thin Air released a two-part series dealing with biomechanical trends in players (Part 2 is about Denver's 2018 draft choices):

https://in-thinair.com/2018/04/20/large-scale-trends-and-the-2018-nfl-draft-part-1/

https://in-thinair.com/2018/05/08/large-scale-trends-and-the-2018-nfl-draft-part-2/#more-7461

That's an interesting take.  I'll have to read more in-depth into their methodology.   At first glance, the issue is their sample size is so small (6 guys in the 2nd group), and the one guy they dismiss in the posterior-group, they then don't use the same type of reasoning to point to other very powerful confounders for injury in the 1st group, which is just much larger in size (RGIII & Bridgewater's slim build, while Siemian & Luck's shoulder injuries IMO had nothing to do with mechanics, it was horrific OL play and being mobile putting guys in harm's way).   

Still, it's never bad to have other tools to evaluate players.   To draw the hard-and-fast conclusions from such sample sizes, I don't know that I'd go that far.   Still, they show their work, and they are using some biological principles, so it's interesting to say the least.

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Here are the jersey #’s for the rookie class:

Even though I’m not as old as some in the forum.  For some reason I hate the # changes going on in the NFL.  I like WRs to have numbers in the 80s and LBs to have numbers in the 50s or 90s.  

Obviously there is the potential for guys to change numbers when the teams starts getting cut down. 

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Even though I’m not as old as some in the forum.  For some reason I hate the # changes going on in the NFL.  I like WRs to have numbers in the 80s and LBs to have numbers in the 50s or 90s.  

Obviously there is the potential for guys to change numbers when the teams starts getting cut down. 

I agree with you. They still do that after the roster thins down I think except for the WR's. I guess I don't mind so much that many of ours are in the teens.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

Maybe even #27 if you really want to think about it.  

I understand your point but it can get out of hand pretty quick. Louis Wright (20) Gradishar (53) Billy Thompson (36) Mecklenberg (77) ........................................

Archived