Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I understand your point but it can get out of hand pretty quick. Louis Wright (20) Gradishar (53) Billy Thompson (36) Mecklenberg (77) ........................................

Champ 24 (who I think will get retired) Rod Smith 80 Dennis Smith 49...Alzado added to Mecklenberg too. 

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I understand your point but it can get out of hand pretty quick. Louis Wright (20) Gradishar (53) Billy Thompson (36) Mecklenberg (77) ........................................

I was actually thinking more of Darrent Williams than anything...but I just see the number as lexiconic as I associate the the number with Atwater.  The other named though were during my time (accept Meck), alas, I was just a child then, so maybe they just don't have the same resonance as it does you. 

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I was actually thinking more of Darrent Williams than anything...but I just see the number as lexiconic as I associate the the number with Atwater.  The other named though were during my time (accept Meck), alas, I was just a child then, so maybe they just don't have the same resonance as it does you. 

Outside of Meck, the others listed were charter members of the original Orange Crush. Also, they were as good as I've seen at their positions. East and West coast bias were in their heyday and Denver got no recognition. Nobody even knew who Billy Thompson was until we went to the SB in 1977. At 31 they finally realized he was 1st team all pro. He'd been playing at that level for half a dozen years at that time. IMO best SS we've ever had.

Archived