2018 NFL Draft thread - A New (false) Hope

Thelonebillsfan

2 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Edmunds was great pick.

We're done til end of round 3 now ?

Unfortunately :( I hope we find a way to land a good WR, I'd be cool with moving one of our 5th to get Anthony Miller. Have a feeling he goes early today.

It all comes down to whether you believe Beane can judge talent or not and IMO, he is an excellent judge of talent and knows exactly what he got in Allen and is positive that any problem areas can be fixed. On the other hand, you have Rosen, a statue in the pocket who has had serious shoulder problems and 2 concussions and most likely will have a very short unproductive career because of his constant injuries!!! I'll take Allen's every day of the week over a QB who cannot stay healthy and if Beane is right and Allen's problems are curable, we could have a top 5 QB for the next 15 years and people do not like the pick! I think it is well worth the risk!!!

As for Edwards, I think we got a real stud who has a very bright future. His father was a pro football player and this kid has it all IMO and will end up being a real game changer within a year or 2.

17 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

It all comes down to whether you believe Beane can judge talent or not and IMO, he is an excellent judge of talent and knows exactly what he got in Allen and is positive that any problem areas can be fixed. On the other hand, you have Rosen, a statue in the pocket who has had serious shoulder problems and 2 concussions and most likely will have a very short unproductive career because of his constant injuries!!! I'll take Allen's every day of the week over a QB who cannot stay healthy and if Beane is right and Allen's problems are curable, we could have a top 5 QB for the next 15 years and people do not like the pick! I think it is well worth the risk!!!

As for Edwards, I think we got a real stud who has a very bright future. His father was a pro football player and this kid has it all IMO and will end up being a real game changer within a year or 2.

I think it comes down to McDermott more than Beane on whether our first two picks succeed or not. Both are super raw and need a lot of coaching. There's no denying their talent, but they're going to need a lot of coaching and grooming. I have a lot more confidence that Edmunds can develop into a quality player because I believe his deficiencies can be overcome a lot easier than Allen's. I am not a  huge fan of not having a second round pick and not selecting for another 65 picks, but there's no denying we added talent. The question is can McDermott coach these guys up? I think Daboll will have his hands full with Allen. We shall see.

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

How do you know if Cardinals wanted him over rosen? You just assume they did but we actually have no evidence unless they show the world their draft board which they wont. Im just saying that they overpaid to get to 7, they were looking to make the move to 5 which would make sense for the price. Denver bailed and took chubb, the bills scrambled and probably stuck with the same offer 2 picks later rather then adjusting it to a 2nd and 3rd. 

It was pretty well documented all week and last night by both ESPN and the NFLN that the Cards coveted Allen.

I like how you said Buffalo should of just offered 53 and 96 as if Beane didn't negotiate at all. Tampa didn't have to trade and clearly wouldn't have for anything less. People think Arizona didn't give up much, but they now only have 4 picks left including the 3rd last pick of the draft. They aren't a QB away from competing either. Buffalo gave up two second round picks and a 1 to get their franchise QB while still holding onto a 1st round and having a normal draft with 6 remaining picks. 

17 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

It was pretty well documented all week and last night by both ESPN and the NFLN that the Cards coveted Allen.

I like how you said Buffalo should of just offered 53 and 96 as if Beane didn't negotiate at all. Tampa didn't have to trade and clearly wouldn't have for anything less. People think Arizona didn't give up much, but they now only have 4 picks left including the 3rd last pick of the draft. They aren't a QB away from competing either. Buffalo gave up two second round picks and a 1 to get their franchise QB while still holding onto a 1st round and having a normal draft with 6 remaining picks. 

Who knows what they offered but everyone is saying they overpaid. I dont care really about it but the way it seemed to me was they offered this to Denver and willing to accept that but chubb fell so they offered the same to picks 6 and then pick 7 with out making adjustments. The bills need more help and I knew they werent going to get everything this year just wish they waited a bit longer to give up less as Rosen and allen were still on the board. Arizona had no issues moving up for Rosen that is why I am not buying the Cardinals interest on Allen. We are only receiving speculation from media who has been very inaccurate on information thus far. Its over and done with now nothing can change just hope they hit on a player or two with the rest of the picks. 

I really like the attitude that Shaq Griffin has and I hope that the bills bring him in to play along side Edmunds.

10 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont care really about it but the way it seemed to me was they offered this to Denver

Arizona had no issues moving up for Rosen that is why I am not buying the Cardinals interest on Allen.

Beane said today on WGR that Denver would have gotten pick 22 so adjustments were made.

Of course they moved up for Rosen. He was the last of the big 4 left. They felt they had to get in front of Miami. 

I was/am disappointed with the pick but there's not much we can do. I do however have full confidence in this regime and if this is their pick, I trust it.

Jordan poyer - hit

Micah Hyde - hit

Tre White - hit

Matt Milano - hit

Dion Dawkins - hit

EJ Gaines - hit

Hell even Eddie Yarbourgh was a good find.

Winning the trades with Tyrod, Cordy Glenn, and Sammy Watkins.

He's not a sexy pick like Rosen because he's more raw but it's obvious they picked the QB with the highest ceiling. Time will tell.

We also picked (2) top 15 players without giving up any picks in next years draft. People were worried about losing both firsts this year and a 1st next year to get a QB. Granted we got Allen but we picked Allen, Edmunds and still have our 2019 1st rounder.

B+ imo.

4 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

Unfortunately :( I hope we find a way to land a good WR, I'd be cool with moving one of our 5th to get Anthony Miller. Have a feeling he goes early today.

I think Pettis and Hamilton are WR to keep an eye out for tonight. 

Ian Thomas at TE make sense, as does OL like Crosby and Parker.

If we go defense, I think itll be CB or RJ MIcintosh 

I was shocked. For 4 major reasons:

1) only Stafford had a sub 60% passing rating and had big time success in the NFL. 2) a study in Buffalo News early last week showed s QBs ceiling is reached in college 3) He throws a hard flat ball even on short passes. No finesse. Don’t think that can be taught very well. 4) had same hype as Losman coming out of college. How did that work out? IMO C-  Edmunds A+. I’m shocked with national media. Some of my data came from Polian, Daniel Jeramiah, Cossell. 

54 minutes ago, Hootlander1 said:

I was shocked. For 4 major reasons:

1) only Stafford had a sub 60% passing rating and had big time success in the NFL.

If you are talking college, Jay Cutler can be added to this list and he to was a top 15 pick. If you're talking NFL stats Newton, Flacco, ELI Manning, Bortles and heck even McNabb have a career avg under 60%

I also honestly want to know, outside of Jake Locker who else has been drafted high (lets say top 3 rounds?) who was under 60% in their career. I also see this argument but never the players to back it up outside of Locker. Genuinely curious. 

19 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

If you are talking college, Jay Cutler can be added to this list and he to was a top 15 pick. If you're talking NFL stats Newton, Flacco, ELI Manning, Bortles and heck even McNabb have a career avg under 60%

I also honestly want to know, outside of Jake Locker who else has been drafted high (lets say top 3 rounds?) who was under 60% in their career. I also see this argument but never the players to back it up outside of Locker. Genuinely curious. 

I don't know you would have to ask Polean. He didn't elaborate. 

My BB, No specific order 

WR Christian Kirk

WR James Washington

WR Anthony Miller

WR DJ Chark

TE Dallas Goedert

TE Mike Gesicki

TE Mark Andrews

OL Connor Williams

OL Tyrell Crosby

OL Martinas Rankin

DL Maurice Hurst