2018 NFL Draft thread - A New (false) Hope

Thelonebillsfan

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Sure was!

Great moment for him and this fan base. Can't believe we got Kyle Jr. at the end of round 3. 

Agreed.  How was he still there at the end of the 3rd?  Thought he was late 1st or early 2nd for sure.  Great 2 defensive picks so far.

36 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Sure was!

Great moment for him and this fan base. Can't believe we got Kyle Jr. at the end of round 3. 

Beane said he sees Phillips more as a 1 technique rather than 3 technique like Kyle. Awesome value. Our D line is going to be so much better. 

Fantastic pick and amazing way to announce it with Andre, Freddie and Pancho Billa. Loved NFL Networks response to having him come up and announce the pick and mentioning how it just highlights the connection that the fans have to the team. 

Also loved Mayock saying how Phillips fits perfectly what the Bills are doing and then having Jeramiah and Charles Davis immediately chime "of course he does, he's Kyle Williams". I'm so excited for this defense and think it is going to bring absolute havoc upon opposing offenses. 

10 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Who knows what they offered but everyone is saying they overpaid. I dont care really about it but the way it seemed to me was they offered this to Denver and willing to accept that but chubb fell so they offered the same to picks 6 and then pick 7 with out making adjustments. The bills need more help and I knew they werent going to get everything this year just wish they waited a bit longer to give up less as Rosen and allen were still on the board. Arizona had no issues moving up for Rosen that is why I am not buying the Cardinals interest on Allen. We are only receiving speculation from media who has been very inaccurate on information thus far. Its over and done with now nothing can change just hope they hit on a player or two with the rest of the picks. 

I really like the attitude that Shaq Griffin has and I hope that the bills bring him in to play along side Edmunds.

I do not think they overpaid. Nobody  knows what kind of offers they were getting from different QB desperate teams. You can try to lowball, but I have seen this tactic backfire in the past, so it carries serious risks when on the clock. Beane likely had a price he was willing to pay for each position starting with the #2 pick, then the #4 pick etc. etc. I am sure he offered what he thought would get the job done and not have to worry about being outbid. When you are on the clock, there is tremendous pressure because of the time limit and if you low ball, the team can be on the phone with another bidder as time runs out, so even if you were prepared to go higher, time may well not permit you to get in that better offer, when your low ball bid has been upped by another team and you get left holding the bag.

Since I also believe that Beane wanted no part of Rosen should he fail to get Allen, he had to be sure he got his man. I predicted Rosen would fall to at least the 10th pick and possibly beyond, because no GM wanted to draft a seriously injury prone QB, unless he was desperate and Arizona with only Bradford on board, a player like Rosen, who has not played much for the last 2 years due to injuries, was definitely desperate enough to take the risk.

10 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Taron Johnson seems like a reach.

Yeah most I had seen was late 5th early 6th.

I like the pick in regards to position as I have little faith in P. Gaines as our nickel. Sounds like Johnson plays the run well which is like Leonard Johnson last season.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

I like the pick in regards to position as I have little faith in P. Gaines as our nickel. Sounds like Johnson plays the run well which is like Leonard Johnson last season.

I know they went Harrison Phillips but I would have still loved to have picked Hurst think that would have been the best BPA in the draft as he was projected top 10 before his heart issue and worst case scenario is they wasted the pick if he had to retire to heart problems but best case scenario is he would have been lined up with Phillips or star in rotation this year and future starter once kyle retires as he is a  true 3 technique DT which Kyle is and Harrison is a 1 technique DT

19 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I know they went Harrison Phillips but I would have still loved to have picked Hurst think that would have been the best BPA in the draft as he was projected top 10 before his heart issue and worst case scenario is they wasted the pick if he had to retire to heart problems but best case scenario is he would have been lined up with Phillips or star in rotation this year and future starter once kyle retires as he is a  true 3 technique DT which Kyle is and Harrison is a 1 technique DT

If we end up playing Edmunds at MLB instead of strong side, I actually like that Phillips is a 1-Tech. He'd be clogging the inside and with Edmunds' sideline-to-sideline range, Edmunds would be freed up and become a tackling machine. His stats should be through the roof! This matches closely to the DT's from the Panthers ~2014 with Short and Lotulelei (Oh, look!) when Kuechly racked up so many tackles. Both of those DT's were closer to 1-Tech's than 3's. Seems to be the formula McDermott likes.

40 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Yeah, certainly not the "splash" we've seen so far this draft, but it looks like he is a solid tackler and, like you said, Leonard Johnson-like. Probably felt he was the best possible way to fill the need, I guess. (shrug)

Archived