2018 NFL Draft thread - A New (false) Hope

Thelonebillsfan

Tim Graham Retweeted [BN] Blitz

You think Josh Allen is a racist because of what he tweeted as an adolescent? The homeless black teammate Allen took into his apartment and the Hispanic civics teacher who coached him say you're wrong.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/28/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-twitter-nfl-draft/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1524950156

21 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Tim Graham Retweeted [BN] Blitz

You think Josh Allen is a racist because of what he tweeted as an adolescent? The homeless black teammate Allen took into his apartment and the Hispanic civics teacher who coached him say you're wrong.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/28/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-twitter-nfl-draft/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1524950156

Good. I want this to go away and allow him to focus on improving his game.

12 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I know they went Harrison Phillips but I would have still loved to have picked Hurst think that would have been the best BPA in the draft as he was projected top 10 before his heart issue and worst case scenario is they wasted the pick if he had to retire to heart problems but best case scenario is he would have been lined up with Phillips or star in rotation this year and future starter once kyle retires as he is a  true 3 technique DT which Kyle is and Harrison is a 1 technique DT

Drafting Hurst is the doctor's call and considering where he went, I would guess the doctors just do not like his chances to play football again.

7 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Well, I guess I'll go LB Skai Moore at #255 now. I really would like to see more LBer competition.

We are at a point usually starting in round 5, where players get drafted for their potential as ST players, followed by the rare possibility of them developing into starters 2 or 3 years down the road.

Most rookies are kept to replace veterans whose rookie contracts are up, to save money for the team's cap, but they must be good on ST's. Talent usually does not come into play, unless a team still sees some potential to develop as a starter and that is extremely rare after their rookie contracts are done with.

10 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

So, I like this WR pick of McCloud worse than the Allen pick. Seems like a special teamer and there were players with actual real production as a true WR left on the board.

No there isn't. STers is what you are looking for at this stage and if they are not good at that, there is no way they can make the team.

I think Bills fans are the only group of people in the NFL world who prefer Rosen to Allen.

People everywhere are praising the pick and our draft as a whole. ESPN gave us an A and the #1 draft in the league.

18 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

So, I like this WR pick of McCloud worse than the Allen pick. Seems like a special teamer and there were players with actual real production as a true WR left on the board.

No one in the late rounds every produce except the rare hidden gems, which the odds are great on them. As for McCloud even though he is listed as a wr i do not see him as that for the bills. I expect him to compete for KR and PR, also he would be the 3rd down back for the bills kind of like sproles or at worst tavon austin where he will go out there for screens. Outside of the top 5 wr in the draft they arent going to make an immediate impact at that position they may some day but realistically they wont be the #1 wr the bills are in need for. I expect the bills to go in to next offseason searching for the guy that can compliment Kbenji and give that deep threat Allen can have. Building a franchise in one year is next to impossible. I expect them to be play off ready come 2019 season or at worst 2020 season after this draft I like our chances then I did before.

8 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I've been on a cruise all week so I know very little about what's going on... Did McDermott say anything about what we are doing at LB now? I assume Edmonds will be WLB and Matt Milano will move to MLB.

No McD said he wants to keep Milano at WLB. And Beane had said Edmunds will start inside but he has the ability to play outside too on the strong side.

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

No one in the late rounds every produce except the rare hidden gems, which the odds are great on them. As for McCloud even though he is listed as a wr i do not see him as that for the bills. I expect him to compete for KR and PR, also he would be the 3rd down back for the bills kind of like sproles or at worst tavon austin where he will go out there for screens. Outside of the top 5 wr in the draft they arent going to make an immediate impact at that position they may some day but realistically they wont be the #1 wr the bills are in need for. I expect the bills to go in to next offseason searching for the guy that can compliment Kbenji and give that deep threat Allen can have. Building a franchise in one year is next to impossible. I expect them to be play off ready come 2019 season or at worst 2020 season after this draft I like our chances then I did before.

Yeah, McCloud is very slash-like, so your thoughts on his position make sense. There were WR's with better production who also handled return duties though. I focused on their receiving attributes because I felt we had an opportunity to address the position in the 5th and we didn't, which I found disappointing. So, I was still hunting...for possible quality depth though, not a WR1.

In past FFMD's I have advocated for targeting injured players in the 6th and STers in the 7th, so I do feel I have a pretty good understanding of the actual value available at the end of the draft and how we might be able to benefit from what's left on the scrap heap. Longshots? Yes, but this is no reason to fully stop searching for those who might one day provide OK depth at their assigned position especially at this cheap price. You can try to double dip.

I've also been saying for the past 6 months that there were so many holes on our team that it would take multiple years to fix. Going to the playoffs didn't negate that fact. I had mentioned it would more likely take 3 drafts due to future injuries, FA losses, etc. The roster is a living or moving target that never will become perfect, but even after this draft, the UDFA signings, and rest of the off-season, you can bet that we will still have several needs to upgrade on our team...LB, OL, RB, WR, DB's and probably DE's among them. That's plenty of targets for next year, but with a lot more available players as sources. The really good news is that we may have solved the one position with the fewest opportunities to fill by selecting Allen! At least I (desperately) hope so.

Archived