2018 NFL Draft thread - A New (false) Hope

Thelonebillsfan

9 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I think Bills fans are the only group of people in the NFL world who prefer Rosen to Allen.

People everywhere are praising the pick and our draft as a whole. ESPN gave us an A and the #1 draft in the league.

I heard a great point today. All Josh Allen's flaws are physical not mental. You can't fix mental intangibles. With proper coaching he can be molded.

16 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I heard a great point today. All Josh Allen's flaws are physical not mental. You can't fix mental intangibles. With proper coaching he can be molded.

I see physical and mental as one in the same. Your body listens to what your mind says, if your throwing a ball a certain way your entire life then that is stuck in your memory. Its like driving a car even though your thinking about other things your mind is still working on how you typically drive or riding a bike after so many years of not riding one your going to be able to jump on a bike like you did years back. Same goes with this your mind tells you to throw the way you have learned your entire life so hes going to be constantly fighting that unless the coaches are able to break that muscle memory. You can throw balls over and over again in shorts with or without pads and wearing a red jersey trying to fix his footwork or the throwing motion but when it comes to game time and a guy is coming full steam at you your mind is going to go back to your muscle memory which is what you learned growing up. Just look at Tim tebow he tried for so long to shorten his throwing motion but never could and thats why he could never adjust to the NFL.

19 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Yeah i don’t agree with that at all. Lol

Edit: that physical flaws are easier to fix than mental i mean.

I haven't come around on Allen any more as a player but I have as a person. He seems like a guy who is going get guys behind him really quickly. I doubt his abilities as a top QB but not as a leader. The guy has his head on straight and will work hard, I just don't know if he'll be able to put it all together. 

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I see physical and mental as one in the same. Your body listens to what your mind says, if your throwing a ball a certain way your entire life then that is stuck in your memory. Its like driving a car even though your thinking about other things your mind is still working on how you typically drive or riding a bike after so many years of not riding one your going to be able to jump on a bike like you did years back. Same goes with this your mind tells you to throw the way you have learned your entire life so hes going to be constantly fighting that unless the coaches are able to break that muscle memory. You can throw balls over and over again in shorts with or without pads and wearing a red jersey trying to fix his footwork or the throwing motion but when it comes to game time and a guy is coming full steam at you your mind is going to go back to your muscle memory which is what you learned growing up. Just look at Tim tebow he tried for so long to shorten his throwing motion but never could and thats why he could never adjust to the NFL.

Great points. My feelings exactly. I have great faith in Beane and McDerrmot but this puzzled me. 

Hope I’m wrong. 

I heard a quote about Allan-“3rd Round talent with 1st round hype”.

We will know in 2-3 years if he is what some people expect since that is usually the bench mark period for a draft   

3 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I haven't come around on Allen any more as a player but I have as a person. He seems like a guy who is going get guys behind him really quickly. I doubt his abilities as a top QB but not as a leader. The guy has his head on straight and will work hard, I just don't know if he'll be able to put it all together. 

Yep. He’s been really impressive in all of the interviews I’ve seen of him. Time will tell, but he’s definitely the best talent I’ve ever seen play QB as a Bill (when he eventually gets on the field). 

I will say this, I think he has a better shot of becoming a franchise QB than Andy Dalton hitting Tyler Boyd for a 40 something yard touchdown on the road against the Ravens in a 4th and 12 situation to end the Bills playoff drought. Lol!

I don’t doubt anything King Midas (Beane) does, because they will just turn to gold.

6 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Yep. He’s been really impressive in all of the interviews I’ve seen of him. Time will tell, but he’s definitely the best talent I’ve ever seen play QB as a Bill (when he eventually gets on the field). 

I will say this, I think he has a better shot of becoming a franchise QB than Andy Dalton hitting Tyler Boyd for a 40 something yard touchdown on the road against the Ravens in a 4th and 12 situation to end the Bills playoff drought. Lol!

I don’t doubt anything King Midas (Beane) does, because they will just turn to gold.

Hahahaha. Excellent point. We've seen miracles once, why not twice?

The one thing that is going my way with the Bills drafting Allen. Every move last summer Beane made was a head scratcher and got me annoyed (Watkins, and darby trades). These moves turned out to be good moves so I am hoping he continues that with this draft pick.

I'll just leave this here. Said it over a month before the draft, and yup...people are freaking out. Why are we freaking out? Our scouts have put more than a year into this process and what have Beane and McD done to make us doubt them? Give the freaking kid a chance before you label him a bust. Just saying...just because the morning guys (idiots) on WGR didn't like him doesn't mean you don't have to. Seriously, those guys piss me off. Lets just tank the rest of our sports lives!

But seriously, just watch Allen's combine highlights.

On 3/17/2018 at 8:31 PM, leeevans83d said:

I could see us trading up for Allen. Wouldn’t piss me off unless he’s a bust. It looks like if we draft him, we’ll go and burn the city down just based on the reactions on here. The bottom line is if our FO has a high grade on him and they believe in him, then get him. They are the decision-makers, not us. I think we all may need to hold judgement on that until we see him on an NFL field. 

2 hours ago, leeevans83d said:

I'll just leave this here. Said it over a month before the draft, and yup...people are freaking out. Why are we freaking out? Our scouts have put more than a year into this process and what have Beane and McD done to make us doubt them? Give the freaking kid a chance before you label him a bust. Just saying...just because the morning guys (idiots) on WGR didn't like him doesn't mean you don't have to. Seriously, those guys piss me off. Lets just tank the rest of our sports lives!

But seriously, just watch Allen's combine highlights.

This FO has been very impressive - there's no denying that. And, certainly, I want Allen to be successful, because as he rolls, so will our offense...assuming he's starting. However, even though I am no professional scout, it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion...and that's why this site operates anyway.

I've said it before, in the heat of battle when the adrenaline is pumping, I expect a player's muscle memory to kick in. In Allen's case, he has had years of questionable footwork, leading to throwing off of a sloppy base, which seemed to result in a fair number of errant throws. Yes, he wasn't playing with elite college receivers who were adept at adjusting to his throws. Some of his throws were so off, however, that there was no realistic adjustment to be made. He also didn't face as much elite talent rushing him...or protecting him. Don't know if this means he will be jittery against NFL caliber pass rushers or not. One could argue that it will be a wash as the offensive linemen will be better than what he played with before. Time will tell. My main concern is still going to be Allen's errant passes. I hope he finds a way to consistently limit or even eliminate them, but I just think this is going to be his biggest hurdle and why I wasn't keen on drafting him.

Anyway, I wanted Rosen instead. That said, the more Rosen opens his mouth, the more I am relieved we didn't get him. Hindsight blah, blah, blah...

I am of the opinion that Allen is the second coming of Jim Kelly and if Beane is right about that, Buffalo will dominate this Division post Brady for the next decade. Rosen on the other hand is a very talented guy, who simply cannot stay healthy, will in the end have a career similar to Bradford and lead his team into oblivion, since he will be injured way too many times.

So put me down as absolutely loving the pick!!!.

• 6 months later...

Archived