Trading up.

onejayhawk

It is now near clear that this has turned out to be a good year to skip the 1st round. It is not a good top of the draft for WR, CB, and EDGE while being outright bad for OT. Ordinary classes of TE, RB and OG are being pushed into the 2nd and 1st round. On the other hand, depth in most positions is fantastic. So, having five picks in rounds 2-4, would you consider trading up for anyone?

For example, suppose Ronnie Harrison, Jessie Bates or Isaiah Oliver gets to #45. Would you give up #122 to move from #54 to #45? What of Frank Ragnow or Braden Smith? 

Inevitably someone slides. Who would it be and how far to make a trade up workable? 

J

2 guys I would debate on trading up for are Justin Reid and Jaire Alexander.  I think both will go before we’re comfortable trading up, but I can see both sliding into starting roles easily.   

Smith/Ragnow I would be okay with a slight trade up.

Oliver, Davis, Bates, etc.. I would be okay with a slight trade up but they all need a little seasoning and I think we can find someone similar without giving up picks.

IMO Justin Reid is worth a short trade up, say 7-8 picks. Alexander I would consider if we still had #22. If he falls out of the 1st round it will be because of information we do not have. I would be looking for some of the tweener DT, say Tavon Bryan or Maurice Hurst. More likely Da'Shawn Hand in round 3.

J

17 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

IMO Justin Reid is worth a short trade up, say 7-8 picks. Alexander I would consider if we still had #22. If he falls out of the 1st round it will be because of information we do not have. I would be looking for some of the tweener DT, say Tavon Bryan or Maurice Hurst. More likely Da'Shawn Hand in round 3.

J

I hope we do not trade up for Justin Reid.

Reid and Bates have the same versatility and same skill set.  Reid is just starter ready, solid with angles and tackling.  Bates projects a bit more, but really struggles with pursuit and tackling.   Both would be excellent alongside Berry though, one is further along in development.. wouldn’t mind either 

Archived