2018 NFL Draft Thread - News/Rumors/Selections

D82

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Connor Williams was supposed to go at 19 if we wanted him. If I put out a mock with LVE at 19 and Connor at 50, everyone would have bashed it as to optimistic.

This is true. Now I will say his slide was not something anyone would have predicted, but I see why it happened. He sets too wide. He needs to retrain his feet and really get himself more properly prepared for the rush. He will be an immediate upgrade and plug and play kind of guy. Just dont think he will come in and be an elite kind of player. From what I had been reading, folks were making him sound like he will instantly solve all ailments - there is that possibility he creates more ailments while solving others. At least for a bit.

I had him as a 1-2 grade, which is usually those late first types. To get him late second is really nice and he is surely what the doctor had ordered. Just being a bit realistic in the expectations we are setting.

17 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Broaddus reporting that Seattle offered ET for 50 when we were on the clock. Apparently if Connor Williams wasn't on the board, we were going to make the deal.

We offered a third for ET. when we didn't hear back we put in the card for gallup.

Not gonna lie, I would've been super disappointed if we passed on Gallup in the third.

4 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Ruthless but you need to be at some degree. McClay is in the perfect position in Dallas, he gets to make the controversial cuts and roster changes while jones & company shield the media from him while the process takes place to turn into a complete team.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Broaddus reporting that Seattle offered ET for 50 when we were on the clock. Apparently if Connor Williams wasn't on the board, we were going to make the deal.

That's a trade I'm making and then I work from there. 

But, as is, I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before ET is in Dallas. Teams will find common ground somewhere, just a matter of who flinches first. 

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I'm not gonna lie every year it looks like we have fewer glaring holes than the year before. McClay really wishes this team to be solid from the ground up. It mightve taken years but I'm feeling good about our future.

The team began drafting better when Garrett came aboard and McClay took on a bigger role. Jerry is the "lets do it!" guy, Jason is the personality, locker room and scheme fit guy, McClay the eye for talent, and Stephen is the tiewraps grounding them all together - at least thats how it would all seem.

They make a pretty good front office. They rebuilt the entire roster from the atrocity it was back in 2008-ish. And the best part? They did it while remaining competitive, outside of a few misnomer years (like Romos back).

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I'm not gonna lie every year it looks like we have fewer glaring holes than the year before. McClay really wishes this team to be solid from the ground up. It mightve taken years but I'm feeling good about our future.

I completely agree. In the past, we always had a top-heavy roster, where guys 1-10 were as good as anyone in the league, but guys 11-53 were really sub par. That lack of depth always killed us towards the end of the season. 

Now we are basically only thin at safety. And the only real talent question mark we have is with our pass catchers. Other than that, we are pretty good and deep across the board.

It’s awesome. Have to feel pretty good about where the roster is right now.

I finally got around to calculating the values of our draft picks. I used the boards from Ourlads, Draft Scout and where applicable Sporting News and Sports Illustrated. 

For LVE the average ranking from those sources is 27. We spent the #19, Mathematically that is poor value wise and we might have been better off trading down.

C. Williams averaged 19. He was picked at #50 which is a big steal.

Gallup averaged 82. He was picked at #81 which is about as average for value you could get.

Armstrong averaged at 122. He was picked at #116 which is slightly below average for value.

Shults wasn't in the SN or SI boards but averaged 162 from Ourlads and DS. At #137 he was a poor value. 

White wasn't on those two boards but averaged 108 from O and DS.  As a #171 he will be a huge steal if he can develop.

Covington averaged at 237 and was picked at #193. Bad value. He could have been a UCFA.

Wilson averaged at 160. As a #208 pick he will be a steal if he pans out.

Scarbrough Averaged at 135. He was picked at #236. That is a huge steal. In years past that would be considered the biggest draft steal of the year. RBs have been devalued in more recent years so we will have to see.

In terms of pure value the 2018 Cowboys drat grade is a C.

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

I finally got around to calculating the values of our draft picks. I used the boards from Ourlads, Draft Scout and where applicable Sporting News and Sports Illustrated. 

For LVE the average ranking from those sources is 27. We spent the #19, Mathematically that is poor value wise and we might have been better off trading down.

C. Williams averaged 19. He was picked at #50 which is a big steal.

Gallup averaged 82. He was picked at #81 which is about as average for value you could get.

Armstrong averaged at 122. He was picked at #116 which is slightly below average for value.

Shults wasn't in the SN or SI boards but averaged 162 from Ourlads and DS. At #137 he was a poor value. 

White wasn't on those two boards but averaged 108 from O and DS.  As a #171 he will be a huge steal if he can develop.

Covington averaged at 237 and was picked at #193. Bad value. He could have been a UCFA.

Wilson averaged at 160. As a #208 pick he will be a steal if he pans out.

Scarbrough Averaged at 135. He was picked at #236. That is a huge steal. In years past that would be considered the biggest draft steal of the year. RBs have been devalued in more recent years so we will have to see.

In terms of pure value the 2018 Cowboys drat grade is a C.

There was no way LVE was lasting till 27. Most people assumed so because of the injury concern rumor that was most likely started by one of those teams that wanted him. Had we traded back back to 23. But someone was trying to jump to 22 to get him. Really he shouldn't have lasted as long as he did. 

Rankings depend on who you read. I usually read Jonah Tuls (top 300), Gil Brandt (top 150), Scott Wright (top 300), and NFLDraftScout (Top 500). Matt Miller as well, but he only does a top 50. LVE and Williams ranked 19 and 13 respectively fwiw.

LVE: 18/17/23/19 = avg. 19.25/19 (On target value)
Williams: 31/22/31/23 = avg 26.75/50 (Excellent value)
Gallup: 64/85/79/91 = avg 79.75/81 (On target)
Armstrong: 143/118/143/140 = avg 136/116 (Negative value)
Schultz: 140/NA/129/161 = avg 143/137 - (On target) Assume Brandt is in that ballpark, if not he outside the norm of other 3.
White: 183/88/165/102 = avg 134/171 (Schizo rankings, but still elite value)
Covington: NA/NA/NA/246 = avg 246/193 (Looks like Dallas probably whiffed here)
Wilson: 130/NA/172/195 = 166/203 (Excellent value) 
BoScar: 203/140/112/173 = 157/236 (Schizo again, but elite value)

Value wise, I think Dallas did a terrific job. 

Archived