Trade thread: players who can be on the move during/after draft

jetskid007

I highly doubt Fowler's option will get picked up by Jax. He has had some legal trouble plus their 2nd rounder from the same draft, I believe Ngakoue has out-performed him. This could be the guy we throw a boat load at. 

I really hope they figure out something there. I realize we're not a "win-now" team and you're not going to solve every need in one year, but the fact that our best pass rushing linebacker is Darron Lee should have us somewhat concerned. I get it, we're going to run some odd 3rd down plays (with both Lee and Adams sharing edge duties), but we really shouldn't have to do that... just get a one-dimensional rusher a la what Aaron Maybin was and it will help out the defense tremendously. 

8 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I really hope they figure out something there. I realize we're not a "win-now" team and you're not going to solve every need in one year, but the fact that our best pass rushing linebacker is Darron Lee should have us somewhat concerned. I get it, we're going to run some odd 3rd down plays (with both Lee and Adams sharing edge duties), but we really shouldn't have to do that... just get a one-dimensional rusher a la what Aaron Maybin was and it will help out the defense tremendously. 

What are your thoughts on the Jets prioritizing one gap penetrators along the DL over speed edge rushers? Seems like it’s intentional with Cooper, Anderson, Shepherd, and Foley. 

I get the feeling that Bowles is going to revert back to blitzing at a league high clip and playing a lot more man again. 

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

What are your thoughts on the Jets prioritizing one gap penetrators along the DL over speed edge rushers? Seems like it’s intentional with Cooper, Anderson, Shepherd, and Foley. 

I get the feeling that Bowles is going to revert back to blitzing at a league high clip and playing a lot more man again. 

Bowles has always believed interior pass rush is more effective than edge rush. His reasoning is plausible; even if the sacks don't come, interior rush has a quicker path to the QB and can cause more disruption - i.e. QB throwing a bad pass or intercept-able ball because can't step into his throws or is forced to throw off base - whereas edge guys are usually only making an impact on a handful of plays a game. Still, I think the Jets can do better than what they have. 

We're definitely going to be predominantly man and Tru/Mo will be put on islands more often than not. Jamal Adams and Darron Lee blitzed a ton last year and I'd expect them to lead the NFL in those categories for their positions next year if they play all 16 games. It can work, but I just feel every team needs that one guy you can rely on to win one-on-ones on the edge... That's how fumbles are forced and sacks are generated because the QB won't always feel pressure on his back whereas he's able to see what's going on in front of him. Doesn't have to be a star, just a threat.

Also, if I'm hearing things correctly we should see a lot more Leo at the 5-tech this year. They'll still move him around and utilize him at the 1 or 0 in certain situations, but I'd expect his sack totals will spike getting more reps at the 5. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Bowles has always believed interior pass rush is more effective than edge rush. His reasoning is plausible; even if the sacks don't come, interior rush has a quicker path to the QB and can cause more disruption - i.e. QB throwing a bad pass or intercept-able ball because can't step into his throws or is forced to throw off base - whereas edge guys are usually only making an impact on a handful of plays a game. Still, I think the Jets can do better than what they have. 

We're definitely going to be predominantly man and Tru/Mo will be put on islands more often than not. Jamal Adams and Darron Lee blitzed a ton last year and I'd expect them to lead the NFL in those categories for their positions next year if they play all 16 games. It can work, but I just feel every team needs that one guy you can rely on to win one-on-ones on the edge... That's how fumbles are forced and sacks are generated because the QB won't always feel pressure on his back whereas he's able to see what's going on in front of him. Doesn't have to be a star, just a threat.

Also, if I'm hearing things correctly we should see a lot more Leo at the 5-tech this year. They'll still move him around and utilize him at the 1 or 0 in certain situations, but I'd expect his sack totals will spike getting more reps at the 5. 

It seems like Leo is always close to a ton more sacks than he ends up getting.  With a slight shift and just that extra step I do think this is the year Leo can really step it up in the sack dept, which would be huge for this D.  Though that would up his asking price by a ton once it comes to sign him, but i guess that is worth it.

This defensive line is going to be much better than last year and maybe better than what we had with Sheldon, Mo and Leo line that never worked out. Get a bunch of guys that fit what we need and watch them dominate. We were 24th against the run last year, adding Williamson and these young guys on the D Line will help. Lee has to step up or he should be in a smaller role. He’s so bad against the run. 

Denver saying they are undecided if they will pick up Shane Ray's 5th year option. If not, it seems like an indicator they won't be keeping him for the long term.

Like some of you have said, we should definitely give Denver a call to inquire the asking price.

Is it me or does it feel like we are going to see us with 4 guys that are all predominantly suited for the 5-tech on the line and just have them all 1-gap and try and penetrate.  Lee will play the SAM, Williamson the Mike and Adams the hybrid Will/SS with the third DB being (Skrine/Nickerson).  That puts a bunch of run stuffers on the line to keep the LB's like Lee and Adams clean to fly to the ball.  I feel like we see guys like Cooper/Shepard and Williams rushing off the DE spots with McClendon and Pennel inside.  Then on 3rd you see Williams and Shepard kick inside with Jenkins and Mauldin on the field at the DE.  Seems like we loaded up on all these 5-tech's for a reason and I'm just trying to figure out why.

Either that or we run Williams and Shepard/Cooper at 5-tech with Pennel/McClendon at NT which is more natural.  Williamson/Lee ILB and Jenkins at OLB with Adams roaming as that SS/LB.

We are very versatile in that regard so Bowles can get back to blitzing again from all over the field.  Should be fun to watch this defense lineup and see what Bowles does.

Archived