Eric's final mock draft

Eric dunn

Just gonna jump right in. My gut feeling all along has been that Minnesota will go CB in round 1, and if they stay i think that could be the pick if its not Oline. But i also think there's a good chance Minnesota trades down, so im going to predict that in this mock they trade down.  Also, this is a mock based off of what I WANT the Vikings to do. Not necessarily what i THINK they will do. Sitting at #30 this year with the loaded roster we have, its almost impossible to get a grip on what Minnesota wants to do there. But i think its very likely OL, CB or edge. 

1st. Trade: The Minnesota Vikings trade the #30 overall pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the #37 overall pick & a 4th round pick (#107).

2nd round(Via Colts) - The Minnesota Vikings select.... Billy Price, G, Ohio St
I know Billy is a very popular pick among Vikings mock draftees, but lets be real it just makes so much sense. Ive been debating between Ragnow, Hernandez and Price, but i just think this one makes the most sense. I think this is his sweet spot to be taken, had he not gotten injured i think he could have gone in the 1st. He has versatility to play all over the interior oline, which will add to his overall value. He is a very strong player who can move people in the run game, but he's also athletic enough to pull. He is solid in pass protection, and excels in the run game. A tough guy who is very durable, despite the fluke injury at the combine. Everyone knows he's already familiar will Pat Elfein, so that will help out with the chemistry. He would come in as an immediate starter, either at LG or RG and will be an upgrade. Might be the boring pick, but i really believe Price on their radar. 

2nd round - The Minnesota Vikings select..... Rasheem Green, DE/DT, USC
Green is a versatile defender, who can slide inside on 3rd downs to help rush the passer. He's also very good athlete, who has some skills that need refinement. Has drawn some comparisons to Carlos Dunlap, who was also a long/athletic pass rusher. Green has some potential that could be unlocked with this coaching staff, i personally think he will be a better pro than he was in college. He will come in as a rookie and strengthen a rotation that desperately needed some more juice at the end of the season last year. The fact that he can slide inside just makes this pick even better. Overall i think DL will be a priority for the Vikings, maybe trying to take a page out of what the Eagles have done. Overall i think most would be happy with this pick. 

3rd round - The Minnesota Vikings select.... M.J Stewart, DB, North Carolina
Stewart was a 2 year starter at CB for NC, but he also has versatility to play NCB or possibly even safety. He's a physical player, who is a very good tackler. Should help in run support & offer position flexibility in Zimmers defense. He's a pretty good cover guy, who has the speed/athleticism to be an effective outside CB if he's needed there. His physical nature would be welcomed in Minnesota. Also would have the chance for alot of playing time as a rookie, since the Vikings didnt bring back veteran Terrence Newman. With Trae Waynes future in question with the team after 2019, as well as Mack's inconsistencies i think CB is a need that could come up in the near future. CB is one of the more important positions,  and the phrase you can never have enough of them is true. Like i said, i believe Minnesota could very well select one in round 1. Isaiah Oliver is a top option if they decide to go that route at #30.  

4th round (Via Colts) - The Minnesota Vikings select.... Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State
Some think Hines wont fall this far, but i think there's a real chance. If Kamara can slip to the 3rd, id say this is a possibility. Hines is an explosive RB, who has elite straight line speed. He has KR abilities and can also catch the ball well out of the backfield. The Vikings have a hole at RB after losing Jerick in FA, and this is a player that kind of fits the same mold. The added value here is that he can immediately step in as a returner. Cook-Murray-Hines would be the 3 headed monster for Flip like he had last year in Philly. I think Mark Walton would also be a good option here if Hines isnt available. But i like Hines a little more. Jaylen Samuels would also be an option but hes just too much of a tweener for me. 

5th round- The Minnesota Vikings select..... Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin
Cichy is projected to be a very good backup, and core special teams player. Overall Cichy is a LB with good instincts and ability, but isnt overly athletic or rangy. Also has had some issues staying healthy. But if he can stay healthy he should become one of the Vikings better ST players and a depth player behind the starting players. LB is a position that i dont see as big of a need as others, but now with the Brothers suspension it becomes a little more pressing. I truly believe Minnesota will lock up Barr soon, so the future is set at LB assuming Gedeon can continue improving as a 2 down guy. Just need to shore up some depth, and i think Cichy is a perfect fit for that. As well as some undrafted guys sprinkled into the mix. 

Looks good.

I like Price a lot more in the early 2nd than the late 1st. 

I was excited about Green at one point but I don't see him winning outside as an edge rusher, he was basically always lined up at 5-tech or DT. I think he's an NFL 5-tech. Wouldn't be the worst pick but I think they should get a DE/DT who's had some success as a true edge rusher, like Tyquan Lewis or Duke Ejiofor. 

I don't think they'll draft a CB who runs 4.54 like Stewart. Previous Spielman CBs (ignoring those immediately converted to S like Exum and Tocho): 

• Waynes 4.31
  • Josh Robinson 4.33
  • Rhodes 4.43
  • Kendall James 4.44
  • Jabari Price 4.45
  • Alexander 4.47

(this pattern also makes it less likely they draft Josh Jackson 4.56, Isaiah Oliver 4.50 or Mike Hughes 4.53 than Donte Jackson 4.32, Tony Brown 4.35, Anthony Averett 4.36, Devontae Harris 4.43, Duke Dawson 4.46 or Holton Hill 4.49)

I can see them liking Hines a lot. The offense could use a burner with McKinnon gone. 

Cichy would be great for depth. 

Yeah you do have a good point on the CB's with speed, i could see Donte Jackson if he slipped that far into the 2nd. Which i doubt. 

Also with Green, im not a huge fan but i do think he has some potential as i said. Especially with Zimmer.

I love the trade back and getting Price.  I’m still torn on Price or Ragnow because I like them both a lot.  Idk about Greene he might be good, but I thought he was a bit overrated and might be a better fit in a 3-4, but idk.  I would be interested in a guy Arden Key at that 2nd pick though.

I really like targeting a RB in the mid rounds.  Mark Walton was the guy that I had been wanting, but I admittedly don’t know a ton about Hines.

I also really like taking a LB late.  That’s where I wanted to take one too.  The guy I was looking a at was Nick DeLuca at that spot, but again that’s just personal preference.

Great job!

34 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Looks good.

I like Price a lot more in the early 2nd than the late 1st. 

I was excited about Green at one point but I don't see him winning outside as an edge rusher, he was basically always lined up at 5-tech or DT. I think he's an NFL 5-tech. Wouldn't be the worst pick but I think they should get a DE/DT who's had some success as a true edge rusher, like Tyquan Lewis or Duke Ejiofor. 

I don't think they'll draft a CB who runs 4.54 like Stewart. Previous Spielman CBs (ignoring those immediately converted to S like Exum and Tocho): 

• Waynes 4.31
  • Josh Robinson 4.33
  • Rhodes 4.43
  • Kendall James 4.44
  • Jabari Price 4.45
  • Alexander 4.47

(this pattern also makes it less likely they draft Josh Jackson 4.56, Isaiah Oliver 4.50 or Mike Hughes 4.53 than Donte Jackson 4.32, Tony Brown 4.35, Anthony Averett 4.36, Devontae Harris 4.43, Duke Dawson 4.46 or Holton Hill 4.49)

I can see them liking Hines a lot. The offense could use a burner with McKinnon gone. 

Cichy would be great for depth. 

I'm targeting Donte Jackson for the Vikings with their 2nd rd pick, if he's still available.  IMO, he's the Zimmer-style DB in this draft, sans Holton Hill, who has significant red flags.  

As far as eric's draft, it looks okay, but I too am not big on Green...if I were to take a DE in the 2nd rd, I'd rather take the chance on Sweat...but am more inclined to wait and maybe take DaShawn Hand instead.  

Archived